1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I was thinking of getting a 14.5" barrel for my first AR build and putting this flash hider on it to bring it up to 16.1"

Google Image Result for http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/fb23caf78b8611ef7ea0f45ea20aecc7.jpg

Just what has to be done for it to be permanently affixed? Tight enough to take off with a tool or spot welded or what?
Spot welded would be the only way to go! If you can remove it w/o doing any cutting would make it an SBR. It has to be on there permanently.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
What's the point of the 14.5" barrel, if you're going to hand a flash-hider off it? You're giving up a couple of inches of threaded barrel....for what?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
What's the point of the 14.5" barrel, if you're going to hand a flash-hider off it? You're giving up a couple of inches of threaded barrel....for what?
well that way you have a 16" rifle instead of a 17.5" if you never plan on switching the muzzle device then why not but if you do want to switch then a 16" is what you want.

what i dont get is the ones that put a 5.5" flash hider on a 10.5 that makes NO sense to me.

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
Spend the extra cash and get your tax stamp for an SBR, the wait would make it all worth it just to not have that super long flash hider on the end of the barrel! Just my .02 don't throw your flash hider at me! :razz:

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
No point in getting a 14.5" barrel and them putting a flash hider to bring up to 16". You lose velocity and terminal bullet performance.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
No point in getting a 14.5" barrel and them putting a flash hider to bring up to 16". You lose velocity and terminal bullet performance.

You do lose a little over an inch on OAL...and if you're grabbing a short rifle you're probably not doing any long range action so it's all really a moot point.

I would think the biggest disadvantage would be the inability to easily swap out the flash hider/gas block/front sight/free float handguard should you choose to do so.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have 3 ARs, a 11.5" w/ 5.5" FH command, a M4 w/ 14.5" w/ pinned Phantom, a Oly 16" w/ Vortex on it, and I love all three.
I have different purposes for all three. My Oly is my mid-range shooter out to 200M, my commando is my KISS and use it out to 50M, and my M4 is my defense rifle and use it out to 100M.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Yeah, but the 14.5 gives you the shortest possible setup without forking over the extra $200 for the stamp. (If that's what you're going for.)

I haven't really been able to wrap my mind around the 10.5 barrel and 5.5 hider thing though...

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
You can spot weld, silver solder with 1150 degree silver solder or blind pin. All of those are considered to be permentaly affixed. I personall like the Silver Solder route. I does not show and you don't have to drill a hole in the barrel.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
You can spot weld, silver solder with 1150 degree silver solder or blind pin. All of those are considered to be permentaly affixed. I personall like the Silver Solder route. I does not show and you don't have to drill a hole in the barrel.
+1

right now im building an sbr though and i think im going to get a 14.5" upper for it but at least i wont have to permanently affix the FH to it.
i was going to build a separate 16" but since i already have the stamp(well im waiting on it but i will pass the background check since this is my third class 3) i figured why not do it this way instead. i just hope i can find one that doesn't have the flash hider already attached

WARNING class 3 items are way more addictive then BRD. i dont even have this one done and im allready saving for my forth, a 308 suppressor

·
Registered
324 Posts
My understanding of the law (and I'm not a lawyer, so I could be wrong) is that you cannot take possession of a 14.5" barrel without a perm. hider already installed. If that is the type of barrel you want, you need to order it from someone that can perm. pin and weld the hider BEFORE they ship the barrel to you.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yeah I considered that also. I may just go with a standard flash hider. I just didn't want too long of a barrel on this rifle.

This is only my contingency rifle if I cannot get my ACR come January.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Really! That would make removing the hider easier that's for sure. As well as everything else on the barrel.

Thanks for all the input guys.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
There is a company that is buildig a 2 inch flash suppressor that looks and functions like a standard AR flash suppressor. I will contact my buddy who has one and get the drtails.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
CMMG also makes a 14.7" barrel that takes normal length AR brakes and still makes the 16" OAL. The 14.5" barrels need special length brakes to make 16".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts