Springfield XD Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A previous entry, "Analogous to PBS' Palin Poll," posted by jmichna says: "PBS, the most liberal network in America (funded, incidentally, by your tax dollars) is running a poll concerning Sarah Palin. Their question is: Do you think Sarah Palin is qualified to serve as Vice President of the United States?"

The so-called "PBS Palin Poll" is not intended to be a scientific poll and is not being conducted by PBS. It consists of self-selected responses posted on the "PBS NOW" Website. "PBS NOW" is a weekly 30-min. public-affairs program primarily produced by WNET-TV New York, and distributed by a PBS program service to all or nearly all of the 356 local PBS stations, one of which is WNET. The program has a standard disclaimer which makes it clear that WNET (and not PBS) is solely responsible for its content (including the content of its Website).

Whether PBS is "the most liberal network in America" is a subjective allegation and not an established fact. To validate that allegation one would have to clearly define what "liberal" versus "conservative" program content is, conduct a scientifically rigorous content analysis of PBS and all other American broadcast-network programming, publish the findings of the analysis, and subject them to independent public scrutiny. Such a competent, objective analysis has never been conducted and published. Therefore, jmichna is merely expressing a common but unproven opinion.

PBS and its non-profit, locally owned and managed stations are only partially funded by "tax dollars." Most of that funding, which varies from station to station, comes from individual members, foundations, businesses, and other private sources. Among the major industrialized nations, America ranks dead last in government support of public broadcasting. And its citizens are poorly served by the overall quality of commercial broadcasting.

Moreover, virtually all of America's radio and TV stations--whether they're licensed as for-profit or non-profit entities--receive direct and/or indirect subsidies from federal, state and in some cases local government. With few if any exceptions, for-profit (commercial) stations and their networks receive much greater government subsidies than non-profit (public) stations and their networks. So jmichna is merely parroting funding nonsense by only ascribing "tax dollars" to public broadcasting.

The ultimate test of a media entity is how it influences the behavior of people who use it; jmichna's behavior, as reflected in that "PBS Palin Poll" message, is another sad case in point.

RLD (A private media researcher and retired, longtime staffer at a major-market PBS station, speaking only for myself.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
This has nothing to do with the XD or firearms, furthermore every friday night we can watch taxpayer money go directly into the pockets of Bill Moyers and his weekly bush bashing, so please dont say that PBS is anything but liberal.

I vote for mods to remove this poster.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Whether PBS is "the most liberal network in America" is a subjective allegation and not an established fact. To validate that allegation one would have to clearly define what "liberal" versus "conservative" program content is, conduct a scientifically rigrous content analysis of PBS and all other American broadcast-network programming, publish the findings of the analysis, and subject them to independent public scrutiny. Such a competent, objective analysis has never been conducted and published. Therefore, jmichna is merely expressing a common but unproven opinion.
Maybe you should have posted, I don't know, IN THAT THREAD!

Lame. Do you own a firearm? How about an XD? No? WTF are you here then?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
57 Posts
what the he77 did he say?????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
58 Posts
when its clearly a TROLL , then removal is fine, the poster just registered and has no other posts about firearms.........

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I'd take him over someone like you who would try to limit one's freedom of speech.

Live and let live... you don't agree, move on. I don't agree with him either, but I'm not an ass.
+1

·
Registered
370 Posts
what the he77 did he say?????:confused::confused::confused::confused:
It's less about what he said and more about the fact that he registered just to post this, is not trying to contribute to anything, and is likely trying to be a nuisance.

The reality is he didn't say anything at all. But whatever, it's his little trip, let him have it. Boxer - sorry, I wasn't going anywhere with my post. It's just a reflex after being on way too many forums for way too long.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Political TROLL. Reported this thread to Moderators.

·
Registered
105 Posts
All this political garbage is non-sense, nothings changed in politics since 1920, except the year.

·
Registered
855 Posts
A few points:
1. Really, who cares about the 'PBS Palin Poll'? People who vote on polls online aren't really furthering the cause (or demise) of democracy, are they? Are you going to vote any differently just because the majority votes yes, no or maybe on some poll?
2. Mr. Dechert is entitled to his opinions, but to share them here with no indication he "belongs" here is childish and rude.
3. Congress made huge cuts in funding for public radio and television years ago but they have survived, and I'm glad they did. For years you could find stuff on PBS you'd never see on the networks, like history shows, good documentaries and cool science shows, not to mention great educational TV for kids. Cable has helped a lot, but IMHO public broadcasting still serves communities better than do local network stations.

Now, can one of the mods please close this thread? It has absolutely nothing to do with XDs! Then Mr. Dechert can get back to hunting down those replicants.

Oh wait, that was Deckard, not Dechert! :)

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I can get obsessed with semantics, but this revealing. Richard Lee Dechert could have said that this was a mistaken opinion, or wrong opinion or prejudiced opinion or many other forms of opinion. But he uses the word unproven. So not false, just unproven...:rolleyes:
Some spin-doctors go to better med schools than others I guess.:-?

Therefore, jmichna is merely expressing a common but unproven opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Several people who've replied to my thread have questioned whether it should be on XDTalk. I posted my PBS Misinformation piece because jmichna posted his or her PBS Palin Poll piece on XDTalk. So my postings are not inappropriate, and whether I own guns or am interested in firearms issues is irrelevant. Furthermore, I've courteously used my real name and not a masking name.

"Boxerdog's" reply claims that "every friday night we can watch taxpayer money go directly into the pockets of Bill Moyers and his weekly bush bashing, so please don't say that PBS is anything but liberal." Another example of PBS Misinformation:

Nearly all of the funding for "Bill Moyers Journal" is provided by the one corporation and the several foundations clearly listed on the program's credits. PBS provides the small remainder of that funding to primarily promote and distribute the program to 356 local PBS stations. A majority of the annual funding for PBS comes from private sources and not from Congressional appropriations.

In four decades on PBS, Bill Moyers has won more major awards in more program genres than any other individual producer in the history of American television. Taxpayers, whether they agree or disagree with him, have clearly gotten their money's worth.

And if "weekly bush bashing" is an example of "liberal" behavior, then a great majority of the American public is "liberal." A recent national opinion poll shows that Bush's approval rating is just one point higher than Harry Truman's all-time low.

In 2004 Bill Moyers was severely bashed for predicting that the second Bush/Cheney administration would be a disaster for our nation. How sadly prophetic he has proven to be.

Thank you for replying to my piece.

RLD

·
Registered
913 Posts
Hey Rich...go preach to a different choir...maybe one who cares about listening to your crap...get it out of our gun section and put it in the political forum atleast...if I wanted to read your crap I'd go to the political forum to find it...unless you've got a question about an XD then get out of this damn forum...

And about using your real name...you realize you're pissing off gun owners who now know youe name...right? And they have access to google... And probably know more about you than you'd like, right?

Just a few thoughts Richie...

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Several people who've replied to my thread have questioned whether it should be on XDTalk. I posted my PBS Misinformation piece because jmichna posted his or her PBS Palin Poll piece on XDTalk. So my postings are not inappropriate, and whether I own guns or am interested in firearms issues is irrelevant. Furthermore, I've courteously used my real name and not a masking name.
So let me get this straight....

You started an account on a forum dedicated to a subject you're not interested in to argue about a subject almost no one cares about with a bunch of people you've never met before and who's opinion you seemingly deem irrelevant?

Congratulations sir, you've just discovered an activity LESS productive than Skeeball.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
So let me get this straight....

You started an account on a forum dedicated to a subject you're not interested in to argue about a subject almost no one cares about with a bunch of people you've never met before and who's opinion you seemingly deem irrelevant?

Congratulations sir, you've just discovered an activity LESS productive than Skeeball.
:lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.