Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im kinda new to ar's and rifles period, but i am planning on buildin a ar for myself and would like to know where to begin and supplies needed to do so?I have not considered what style ar i would like to build but am doing some heavy thinkin on which style to go with.Also how much could i build a standard ar-15 for and i know they get higher and higher as the more accesories u add lol.If anyone could kind of write up a list and ballpark prices it would be greatly appreciated thanks. Damien

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
here is a good read

So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?

its alot to read, but you asked for alot so here you go

start with a lower, you can find them stripped or assembled, then add an upper, which you can easily find assembled, or by them pc by pc

first thing though......what is the purpose of the rifle? Home Defense? Hunting? Zombie Apocalypse?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here is a good read

So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?

its alot to read, but you asked for alot so here you go

start with a lower, you can find them stripped or assembled, then add an upper, which you can easily find assembled, or by them pc by pc

first thing though......what is the purpose of the rifle? Home Defense? Hunting? Zombie Apocalypse?
ya mostly home defense/firing range fun lol.See my father in law was in the army so i figured if i have any problems building it or putting something together i would get with him ya know.Im well mechanically inclined and good at assembling items with instructions and without so i should be good.Thanks for the info and any other info u supply

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
ya mostly home defense/firing range fun lol.See my father in law was in the army so i figured if i have any problems building it or putting something together i would get with him ya know.Im well mechanically inclined and good at assembling items with instructions and without so i should be good.Thanks for the info and any other info u supply
Kawi: If you buy yourself a flat-top upper from Spikes, and a complete Lower assembly, I can provide some extra parts to make it pretty expandable for not too much cash. I'm upgrading mine right now, and my original build will have leftover:

1 Carbine heavy buffer from Brownells ($20)
1 Picatinny rail accessory attach point from Brownells ($15)
1 Winchester 1-hand-adjust sling ($10)
1 Carbine-length quad rail, 2pcs ($40)
1 A2 Detachable Carry Handle w/ Ironsights ($30)
1 see-through Weaver Upper Rail Mount for A2 Carry Handle ($30)
1 Lower Receiver Vise Block for maintenance ($20)
and
2x 20-round mags... ($10 ea)
$IMG_2527.jpg (click for large view)
I'd be willing to let the whole accessory set go for around $130.

Your build would be something like:
+ Complete Lower Assembly (Spikes), $270ish (I saved about $30 by assembling my own)
+ Carbine Flat Top Upper (Spikes), $500ish
+ My Accessory Kit, $130ish
... For around $900 you're looking at a good-to-go piece of machinery that you can easily maintain and upgrade. Anyone will tell you that's a rock-solid price for an AR platform of reasonable quality.

Cheers, and safe shooting! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
do you still have the accessory set ? i got cash if you do!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Ok im kinda new to ar's and rifles period, but i am planning on buildin a ar for myself and would like to know where to begin and supplies needed to do so?I have not considered what style ar i would like to build but am doing some heavy thinkin on which style to go with.Also how much could i build a standard ar-15 for and i know they get higher and higher as the more accesories u add lol.If anyone could kind of write up a list and ballpark prices it would be greatly appreciated thanks. Damien
PM sent...:)

·
Registered
228 Posts
You can also check out rifle kits ....this offers an easy package that includes everything but a stripped lower. I'm currently looking at del ton and palmetto state armory ( both offer kits in the $500 range )
I'm also surprised at the "tweaks" you can make to the package --you can swap parts of the basic kit out

I'm totally digging the palmetto state FN barreled kits

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Have a look here, this is what I built. This is an older link and prices may have gone up some. I would definitely go with flat top and pop up sights, it will give you more flexability to change things later. (and you will change things!) The Plum Crazy lower has a great crisp trigger that you will be very happy with.

Build an Affordable AR-15 - less than $485 shipped | Slickguns

1 - 8 of 8 Posts