Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a XDM 3.8 9mm compact and I would like to know what if any parts should be replaced or changed out to avoid problems. Also interested in some tips on modifying for durability and performance. Thanks

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have the 3.8 compact in all calibers. Zero issues with plenty of rounds downrange.

I did pickup a spare recoil spring and extra springs when covid hit, just in case. Doubt I'll ever need them, but they were cheap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the 3.8 compact in all calibers. Zero issues with plenty of rounds downrange.

I did pickup a spare recoil spring and extra springs when covid hit, just in case. Doubt I'll ever need them, but they were cheap.
Ok thanks I appreciate it. I will keep an eye out for springs just to have , doesn’t hurt

·
Registered
27 Posts
On the topic of reliability...

I would say no modifications are required to the internal components for reliability... The XD is the American marketing name for the HS2000 and its variants built by HS Produkt in Croatia; according to what I've read online, the HS2000 is used by several militaries and police forces. I would treat any version of the HS2000/XD (XD, XD mod.2, or XDM/XDM Elite) as a rugged, service grade weapon that works reliably as designed. I've heard of people putting 50,000 plus rounds through a XD or XDM with factory and mostly stock components. I have personally seen thousands of rounds put through a XD without a single failure (excluding bad ammunition or user error).

In terms of performance...

If you have not done so already, try changing out the backstrap for the optimal fit; and if you have any extended/full-size magazines, you may want to order grip sleeves to match your favorite backstrap size by calling Springfield directly. Possible, popular aftermarket upgrades include night sights or grip tape.

I've heard of people having trigger jobs, performance tuning, etc. done, but I personally would not modify any of those components.

-----

Edits in bold.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
well..... so far mine is factory since it was acquired.... about 15 years ago,...so learn , there is a lesson somewhere..... just saying , but what do I know?
What I "learned" from your post is that you don't shoot much.

After 15 years you should have had enough rounds fired to have replaced recoil spring, striker spring&pin, mag springs, etc, etc, etc.

That is thinking a mere 3k rounds per year (250rds per month), after 15 years is 45k rounds.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
I recently purchased a XDM 3.8 9mm compact and I would like to know what if any parts should be replaced or changed out to avoid problems. Also interested in some tips on modifying for durability and performance. Thanks
My 9mm XDms (I have 4, two of the 4.5-inch, and two 3.8 Compacts) have proven dependable and reliable, but overall, my report is only anecdotal in the overall scheme of things...it's 4 of how many, right?

So, with that setting the stage:

With my main training/range 4.5-inch beater, I've recently decided to "reset" its live-fire range-count to 55,000 ("New" XDm9 from Cleveland - POA/POI &amp...). It's likely a bit more, but I feel that this is a reasonable estimate, erring on the conservative side. My other 4.5-inch is my HD gun, so while I've got a couple of thousand rounds through it, it's just sat idle since I vetted it.

As with the 4.5-inch guns, my two 3.8 Compacts mirror the same range/training beater versus defensive-use (in this context, my EDC) copies. The beater has somewhere over 25,000 live-fire rounds on it, while the EDC's round count is about 12,000. [ How did I get these round-counts? ---> XDM 3.8 Compact ; note that 2016-17 I was out with injuries, and from 2019-20, I did not attend classes as my wife took a voluntary 20% pay cut, while I took over as primary caretaker of my in-laws due to COVID - so far for '21, I've also been down with injuries (the last pic of me shooting my AR from a red VTAC barricade in the "New from Cleveland" thread, left uncropped, would have shown my right leg in a "fracture boot" 😅 ) , so round-counts during those years reflect postings during those times, and were stagnant. ]

My two running threads here on XDTalk will give you a better understanding of what I've seen with each gun, in terms of running concerns:

Buried in that first thread is an out-link to an M4Carbine.net thread that I also contributed to. In one of my follow-up posts there (I use the same screen-name), you'll see that I'd scoured the archives of the BrianEnos.com Forums at the time, and documented some of the issues and concerns that high-round-count competition shooters saw with their XDms - Springfield xdm 9mm mags . That thread, of-course, focused on a discussion of the magazine springs, and you can also see in my reply there that I'd broken my mag usage for the OP...and that math came to more than 500 cycles of each of my 6 main beater magazines, before I started seeing issues.

Similar to my experiences, a recent write-up on The Armory Life detailed John Strayer's high-round-count 4.5-inch XDm9, with discussion on their Forums: Strayer’s 40K “Blue Flame”

^ You'll see in that thread that I also replied that my main training/range 4.5-inch XDm9 -and also both my 3.8 Compacts (and my other 4.5, although that one's round-count is insignificant, in-context- still has its original striker, extractor, ejector, barrel, and guide rod. Of what's aftermarket - notably the trigger pack from Springer Precision - that's only 700 rounds younger in that 4.50-inch beater, and for both my EDC 3.8 Compact and its range/training copy, they've had Springer Precision triggers, each since new (each gun also has Springer's slide-stops and extended magazine catches; and of-note also is that I've removed the auto-take-down mechanism from each of these 4 guns).

I don't clean my range/training beaters much, and this thread will give you an idea of what I'm talking about - REF: How often do you clean your XD?). Similarly, as I have talked about in other threads, I have subjected those two guns to a bit of abuse in the hopes that they could "benchmark" necessary maintenance intervals for their defensive-use counterparts (this post tells you why I've done so: Spare Parts for SA plastic pistols).

Overall, I would advise any owner of the 3.8 Compact to purchase the complete/captive recoil-spring assemblies (RSAs) from Springfield Armory, direct, as well as to obtain replacement striker springs, and replace both on a regular basis (I noted my intervals as well as what SA recommends, in some of the threads that I've referenced above). The same goes with the striker retaining pin, which can either be obtained from popular aftermarket Vendors such as Powder River Precision in "upgraded" format, or from hardware vendors such as McMaster-Carr.

The truncated magazine springs for the 13-rounder will need to be sourced from SA direct. The same for the Elite's magazine springs.

For the 19-round magazines, Wolff GunSprings has a "+10%" variant that I do recommend. Alternatively, Springfield's OE magazine spring has proven durable (as I have detailed above) - regardless of which one you choose, you'll want to verify which type of base-pad you're using: there's one with a "V" or "divot" on the bottom base-coil that was used in earlier-manufacture (these may still be in-circulation as new-old stock or on the secondary market), while current-generation ones should be straight. With the older, the "V"/divot locks the base-plate through a corresponding hole in the latter, while the straight-base springs see a molded tab in the base-plate that instead is used to effect locking.

If you choose to upgrade the trigger assembly, you can keep the factory components as backup, otherwise, I think it would be smart money to obtain a full set of fire-control components, just-in-case. Unfortunately, since I haven't kept those components stock, I can't speak to their durability/reliability over time and rounds accrued, but in The Armory Life Forum thread, John Strayer came back himself to attest to the fact that his 4.5-inch at 40,000 rounds live-fire was still using original factory components in this area, and you can also have a look at my M4C.net thread's reply, where I excerpted of old threads on the BE.com Forums.

In terms of performance modifications, while aftermarket triggers (here I'm also lumping-in sending the gun into SA's excellent Custom Shop) is most common, those who are more exacting may want to look at the barrel. Here, I don't think that there's any Forum member who is better suited to speak on the issue than @JayhawkNavy02 , who has authored past posts such as these: XD Mod.2 5" vs. XDM 5.25"

I don't shoot bullseye (although I really should, as this is a weakness of mine that I would love to work on) - and sadly I didn't know better when I started shooting back in 2010 to benchmark the pistol's performance. That said, today, even with the 4.5-inch that's seen over 55K live-fire rounds through its barrel, I can hold that gun to an all-holes-touching group at 7 yards, easily maintain a 5-inch group at 25, and tag a B/C-zone steel at the 100 yard line -all day long- with nothing but range-fodder grade ammo. I know, none of that is really all that special, as I'm nowhere near an exceptional shooter, but it does provide a bit of quantitative data. :)

Well, I hope this helps!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I would say no modifications are required to the internal components for reliability... The XD is the American marketing name for the HS2000 and its variants built by HS Produkt in Croatia; according to what I've read online, the HS2000 is used by several militaries and police forces. I would treat any version of the HS2000/XD (XD, XD mod.2, or XDM/XDM Elite) as a rugged, service grade weapon that works reliably as designed. I've heard of people putting 50,000 plus rounds through a XD or XDM with factory and mostly stock components. I have personally seen thousands of rounds put through a XD without a single failure (excluding bad ammunition or user error).

If you have not done so already, try changing out the backstrap for the optimal fit; and if you have any extended/full-size magazines, you may want to order grip sleeves to match your favorite backstrap size by calling Springfield directly. Possible, popular aftermarket upgrades include night sights or grip tape.

I've heard of people having trigger jobs, performance tuning, etc. done, but I personally would not modify any of those components.

-----

Edits in bold.
I have ordered the full size magazines and fitted the back straps. From what I am gathering if anything any mods or upgrades aren’t really necessary just general upkeep and whatever I need to make it more comfortable, thanks for the info I appreciate it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 9mm XDms (I have 4, two of the 4.5-inch, and two 3.8 Compacts) have proven dependable and reliable, but overall, my report is only anecdotal in the overall scheme of things...it's 4 of how many, right?

So, with that setting the stage:

With my main training/range 4.5-inch beater, I've recently decided to "reset" its live-fire range-count to 55,000 ("New" XDm9 from Cleveland - POA/POI &amp...). It's likely a bit more, but I feel that this is a reasonable estimate, erring on the conservative side. My other 4.5-inch is my HD gun, so while I've got a couple of thousand rounds through it, it's just sat idle since I vetted it.

As with the 4.5-inch guns, my two 3.8 Compacts mirror the same range/training beater versus defensive-use (in this context, my EDC) copies. The beater has somewhere over 25,000 live-fire rounds on it, while the EDC's round count is about 12,000. [ How did I get these round-counts? ---> XDM 3.8 Compact ; note that 2016-17 I was out with injuries, and from 2019-20, I did not attend classes as my wife took a voluntary 20% pay cut, while I took over as primary caretaker of my in-laws due to COVID - so far for '21, I've also been down with injuries (the last pic of me shooting my AR from a red VTAC barricade in the "New from Cleveland" thread, left uncropped, would have shown my right leg in a "fracture boot" 😅 ) , so round-counts during those years reflect postings during those times, and were stagnant. ]

My two running threads here on XDTalk will give you a better understanding of what I've seen with each gun, in terms of running concerns:

Buried in that first thread is an out-link to an M4Carbine.net thread that I also contributed to. In one of my follow-up posts there (I use the same screen-name), you'll see that I'd scoured the archives of the BrianEnos.com Forums at the time, and documented some of the issues and concerns that high-round-count competition shooters saw with their XDms - Springfield xdm 9mm mags . That thread, of-course, focused on a discussion of the magazine springs, and you can also see in my reply there that I'd broken my mag usage for the OP...and that math came to more than 500 cycles of each of my 6 main beater magazines, before I started seeing issues.

Similar to my experiences, a recent write-up on The Armory Life detailed John Strayer's high-round-count 4.5-inch XDm9, with discussion on their Forums: Strayer’s 40K “Blue Flame”

^ You'll see in that thread that I also replied that my main training/range 4.5-inch XDm9 -and also both my 3.8 Compacts (and my other 4.5, although that one's round-count is insignificant, in-context- still has its original striker, extractor, ejector, barrel, and guide rod. Of what's aftermarket - notably the trigger pack from Springer Precision - that's only 700 rounds younger in that 4.50-inch beater, and for both my EDC 3.8 Compact and its range/training copy, they've had Springer Precision triggers, each since new (each gun also has Springer's slide-stops and extended magazine catches; and of-note also is that I've removed the auto-take-down mechanism from each of these 4 guns).

I don't clean my range/training beaters much, and this thread will give you an idea of what I'm talking about - REF: How often do you clean your XD?). Similarly, as I have talked about in other threads, I have subjected those two guns to a bit of abuse in the hopes that they could "benchmark" necessary maintenance intervals for their defensive-use counterparts (this post tells you why I've done so: Spare Parts for SA plastic pistols).

Overall, I would advise any owner of the 3.8 Compact to purchase the complete/captive recoil-spring assemblies (RSAs) from Springfield Armory, direct, as well as to obtain replacement striker springs, and replace both on a regular basis (I noted my intervals as well as what SA recommends, in some of the threads that I've referenced above). The same goes with the striker retaining pin, which can either be obtained from popular aftermarket Vendors such as Powder River Precision in "upgraded" format, or from hardware vendors such as McMaster-Carr.

The truncated magazine springs for the 13-rounder will need to be sourced from SA direct. The same for the Elite's magazine springs.

For the 19-round magazines, Wolff GunSprings has a "+10%" variant that I do recommend. Alternatively, Springfield's OE magazine spring has proven durable (as I have detailed above) - regardless of which one you choose, you'll want to verify which type of base-pad you're using: there's one with a "V" or "divot" on the bottom base-coil that was used in earlier-manufacture (these may still be in-circulation as new-old stock or on the secondary market), while current-generation ones should be straight. With the older, the "V"/divot locks the base-plate through a corresponding hole in the latter, while the straight-base springs see a molded tab in the base-plate that instead is used to effect locking.

If you choose to upgrade the trigger assembly, you can keep the factory components as backup, otherwise, I think it would be smart money to obtain a full set of fire-control components, just-in-case. Unfortunately, since I haven't kept those components stock, I can't speak to their durability/reliability over time and rounds accrued, but in The Armory Life Forum thread, John Strayer came back himself to attest to the fact that his 4.5-inch at 40,000 rounds live-fire was still using original factory components in this area, and you can also have a look at my M4C.net thread's reply, where I excerpted of old threads on the BE.com Forums.

In terms of performance modifications, while aftermarket triggers (here I'm also lumping-in sending the gun into SA's excellent Custom Shop) is most common, those who are more exacting may want to look at the barrel. Here, I don't think that there's any Forum member who is better suited to speak on the issue than @JayhawkNavy02 , who has authored past posts such as these: XD Mod.2 5" vs. XDM 5.25"

I don't shoot bullseye (although I really should, as this is a weakness of mine that I would love to work on) - and sadly I didn't know better when I started shooting back in 2010 to benchmark the pistol's performance. That said, today, even with the 4.5-inch that's seen over 55K live-fire rounds through its barrel, I can hold that gun to an all-holes-touching group at 7 yards, easily maintain a 5-inch group at 25, and tag a B/C-zone steel at the 100 yard line -all day long- with nothing but range-fodder grade ammo. I know, none of that is really all that special, as I'm nowhere near an exceptional shooter, but it does provide a bit of quantitative data. :)

Well, I hope this helps!
Ok thank you very much I appreciate your time

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

-----

Edits in bold.
I’m glad to hear this thing doesn’t require a bunch of extra work. Thanks

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
sure thing. if you say so... it has to be true...
I'll give some real numbers to do the math. 200 + a week. do the numbers. and than talk... I'm not new to this stuff, I've earned my stripes thats for sure.!!!!
156k rounds on a factory gun (your words).

Going to have to call BS on this one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had mine (9mm) for 3 years, zero issues.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I found the Powder River extended mag release to be a worthy modification.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts