Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But, here's my situation...

I currently have a Kimber Tactical Ultra II and I'm shopping around for holsters, and in my window shopping spree, I've noticed that a majority of the holsters say either Colt Commander, Colt Gov't., Colt Officer, etc.

What kind of holster should I be looking at? What's the difference in Commander, Gov't. Officer, etc?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts

I currently have a Kimber Tactical Ultra II and I'm shopping around for holsters, and in my window shopping spree, I've noticed that a majority of the holsters say either Colt Commander, Colt Gov't., Colt Officer, etc.

What kind of holster should I be looking at? What's the difference in Commander, Gov't. Officer, etc?
Govt is the standard 5" full grip

Commander is a 4" and full grip

Officer is 4" and shorter grip

I may have gotten the last 2 switched around.

yours would fall under the govt.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Really? The Kimber Tactical Ultra II has the 3" barrel and a smaller grip... At least that's what it feels like to me.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Really? The Kimber Tactical Ultra II has the 3" barrel and a smaller grip... At least that's what it feels like to me.
Kimber "Ultra's" are the 3" version, yours would be the officer size

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts

Actually the Officer's Model from Colt has a shortened grip and a 3" barrel and slide.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

I believe thats the same 1911 my brother has...the one with the black slide and grey frame? Its a 3 in barrel with a shorter officer grip. I've still got his old Galco summer comfort/royal guard holster I could sell ya cheap if you're interested...:p

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I should of checked that info out before I posted it...:|

I know little to nothing about kimber 1911's and their names..

Im a Springfield man through and through!

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
It's not a Kimber Naming scheme. It's Colt and the rest of the 1911 people have pretty much followed.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
True. For many years...everyone went by "Govt, Commander and Officers" on 1911 sizing. Its just the way it goes when your brand (Colt) starts the design.

I would think that any holster that is good for the Colt Officers Model ought to fit the Ultra Kimber line. If yours has a rail...you might want to call and ask to be sure it wil fit.

I too have a Kimber, but its a TLE II and thats "government-length" as it will probably be known forever! LOL

- brickboy240

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Just bring your unloaded gun to the store with you in a case without a mag or ammo. Ask nicely if you may test the holster for fit. Don't be surprised if they want to check your gun first or maybe ask you to step somewhere out of range of the public to do this fit test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts