Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will I ever realistically notice the difference between 7 strand 2 ply cord and the 8 strand they are selling now? For shelters wouldn't my stakes come out of the ground long before either of the paracord types broke? Where would the extra strands and ply matter?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I have no first hand knowledge of the proposed question but I do know that regular old 550 cord is damn near impossible to break. I guess you could use the extra strand in a survival situation. Trapping and building. Don't think on it to much. Its just string.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
You probably wouldn't notice a difference. Where the difference would come in is if ever in an emergency/survival situation where each strand would matter. The cord I carry when camping/hiking is true mil-spec 550 (MIL-C-5040h & PIA-C-5040 Type 3) in case things go bad.

The 550 is supposed to mean that it can support 550 pounds, but I've read of commercial grade 550 cord only supporting around 325 pounds so there's obviously a difference. I carry mil-spec 750 (Type 4) for hiking where there's an overnight stay.

If you're only using it for staking tents and whatnot, then probably no difference.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, purchase 100' of the higher strand paracord for your bag and it would all be covered?

Would it be wise to go with a bright color to distinguish it from my commercial cord?

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Atwood Paracord only makes 7-Strand actual 550 cord...all US Company...buy direct from them and avoid the scAmazon knock-offs...I sell 1,000s of feet of the stuff in a years' time...our in-store price is $8.95/100'...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the difference? 2 ply vs 3 or just the color strand in the middle? It's $11 on the Atwood site.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
:mad:
What is the difference? 2 ply vs 3 or just the color strand in the middle? It's $11 on the Atwood site.
That's the thickness of the sheathing and cord diameter in the center....if you want to get some at better price PM me and I will discuss it further...

My employer is one of the biggest dealers of Atwood Cord in the area...we get a hella good deal on it

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a very fair price for the military type. Still trying to decide between the cheap stuff, military brand, and the new 8 strand I've been finding.

People often complain in reviews about their purchase not being the military brand, but I've never heard anyone say they've snapped any type of 550 cord. I'm sure it's happened, but I'm still trying to understand what the big deal is past the sheathing and cord diameter. Just for informative purposes if nothing else.

·
Premium Member
18,078 Posts
Part of the benefit of the true paracord is that you can pull apart the strands from inside the single cord and have multiple useful cords rather than just one.

Sent from the county jail.

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
What is the shelf life on these ropes?

I see also that Atwood sells kevlar woven up like 550 and says it will handle more than 1,000 lbs. I know the BP vests weaken over time. Do these cords do the same?

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
What is the shelf life on these ropes?

I see also that Atwood sells kevlar woven up like 550 and says it will handle more than 1,000 lbs. I know the BP vests weaken over time. Do these cords do the same?
Fully synthetic...no shelf life applies

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Is anyone aware of sites to place bulk sized "spool" orders with free or decent shipping prices?
Nope...but we carry 1200' spools for $77...shipping could be figured out if a better deal doesn't arise

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have some 550 cord and a thick rubber strap supporting an apple tree in my back yard. Its been holding since 2005 in all manner of weather and the only deterioration I can detect is some fading. I would say that it lasts a good long while.

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
I have some 550 cord and a thick rubber strap supporting an apple tree in my back yard. Its been holding since 2005 in all manner of weather and the only deterioration I can detect is some fading. I would say that it lasts a good long while.
I'd like to see test results of a rope like that. just because it hasn't broke, doesn't mean it will still hold 550lbs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am obviously not familiar with all the uses of paracord, but when would you need it to hold 550 pounds? Repelling? Is there another type of rope for a bag that could hold body weight if necessary?

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
I am obviously not familiar with all the uses of paracord, but when would you need it to hold 550 pounds? Repelling? Is there another type of rope for a bag that could hold body weight if necessary?

550 cord is used on parachutes.... And of course survival bracelets:lol:

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
General rule of thumb; a rope's safe working strength is 1/10th of its breaking strength. There is nobody that should be using 550 for repelling.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts