Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to decide which IWB holster I was going to buy... but I recently read the IDPA rule book and there is a little blurb about the pancake style holsters being the most comfortable and concealable.. is this true? I was leaning towards the C.T.A.C. holster... but if a pancake holster is more comfortable AND concealable I'll start looking into that instead.

·
Registered
308 Posts
A pancake style is considerably more comfortable but slighly less concealable than an IWB. I like the pancake style holsters myself a good one is the Don Hume First Agent.

http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/H710

·
Registered
16 Posts
Incidentally, I had a pancake style holster (the Hume mentioned above, actually), and the way it fit on my waist it held the gun so tight that I literally had to have my wife help me remove it. I guess my hips are too narrow, and bent the holster too much. Point of the story, I guess, is to either find a store to try holsters on in (with your gun), or order from someone like Gunner's Alley that will let you send back something that doesn't work, no harm, no foul.

·
Registered
125 Posts
About a year ago, I became a firm believer in IWB's. It just don't get more concealed more than that (IMHO). The whole point is for noone to know that you are carrying.

My girlfriend pointed out that she could see the bottom of my holster while I was squating down to look at some books on a low shelf (you'll learn that squating is much better than bending when you carry). :shock:

I got pretty paranoid about that. Got a good IWB and haven't looked back. If you plan on wearing a long outer garment each and every time you carry, then a pancake is fine. Unless, of course, it's 98 degrees and everyone is looking at you funny because you're wearing an outer shirt over your t-shirt. :wink:

Of course, I also wear a large frame auto, so that goes without saying. If you're carrying a sub, than it'll obviously conceal better outside than a large frame. I guess my point is that I was constantly fidgeting around, worried that I was printing, worried that someone could see the holster, making sure the wind wasn't blowing my shirt/vest/jacket open. After switching to an IWB, no more worries.

Also, I don't think you can get anything more comfortable than a Comp-tac C-TAC or Tucker "The Answer" (http://store.yahoo.com/rlcompanyusa/answer.html) for an IWB. I also strongly recommend Rafter S. Awesome IWB's for an awesome price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts