Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well drat!

My "deal" on the Colt lightweight AR fell through and the guy decided not to sell it. Bummer!

I am back to looking around and stumbled across Palmetto State Armory.

For about 730 bucks, I can get a complete AR from these guys. Buying the complete lower (299 bucks) then buying a complete upper (about 499) separately. I already have my cousin's handle from his old Bushmaster Patrolmans Carbine, so no need to buy a rear sight.

Looking at their site, they seem to know how to put together an AR.

Their ARs come with 1-7 twist chrome lined barrels, F marked front sights, MPI tested bolts and other necessary features from the vaunted AR Chart. All at about the price you'd pay for a basic DPMS or Rock River that is missing many of these features.

I also like the idea of buying the lower one month, then buying the upper later on. Breaks up the outlay of cash and you seem to forgo the "excise tax" on buying a complete rifle and you don't end up with a frankenstein rifle of mixed uppers and lowers.

Does anybody here own or shoot a Palmetto AR?

Are they worth it, or should I just buy the Spikes AR at around 800?

I just wanted to hear from those that own Palmetto Armory ARs...not the usual "buy XXXXX instead" (I hear that 24-7).

Thanks in advance for the opinions/warnings!

- brickboy240

PS: This is to be a plinking and playing around gun that will shoot mainly bulk Wal Mart 223 and ride on my ATV...not a match gun or 3-gun competition piece.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
their barrels are FN made too with hammer forging. Looks like it has all the standard stuff most of the high quality makes have

should be able to get it cheaper if you get one of their stripped lowers for $50 then buy one of their MOE lower build kits for $140 to make a complete lower. There is a backlog on their lowers tho since a lot were ordered at that price. You still need handguards and a rear sight for the upper also, you can get those as options

if youre just gonna use it for plinking and ATVing then I dont see how this wont fit the bill perfectly

·
Registered
838 Posts
One caution here. While I have ordered from PSA and think they are a great operation, a recent poster noted a quality drop as far as finish on their current lower kit (internals, eg. trigger group) compared to a better finished earlier example he had from another build where he used a high end trigger with their lower kit.

Bud's offers a complete S&W lower, adjustible stock included for a little over 300 bucks and it is a known, mil spec, quality build. ;)

The trigger S&W uses, while military type heavy, is smooth and functional without grit or slop.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I am actually headed to their brick and mortar tomorrow. From what I have found, they use the same machine shop as Spikes, so I would say go for it.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Several of my buddies run PSA stuff with no complaints. I haven't heard anything from any of them about a drop in quality but it's not unheard of for AR stuff from those that don't do their own manufacturing to have some degree of variability.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Several of my buddies run PSA stuff with no complaints. I haven't heard anything from any of them about a drop in quality but it's not unheard of for AR stuff from those that don't do their own manufacturing to have some degree of variability.
Yeah, maybe no big deal and I have had nothing but good service from them. A poster here in a recent build thread mentioned that he had an earlier kit and elected to use that trigger with a current kit because the finish on th FCG was rough and the older one was very good. Maybe a one time thing and maybe not important to function.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Tuned in for updates. My dad is looking to get an AR now for light hunting and plinking. I was already planning on going with them for his build, but would like to hear how your experience goes. Also, I don't think they have the 50$ lowers anymore, they are back up to 80$ I believe. Either way, you can save a few dollars getting it stripped and putting it together yourself.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have one of their 6.8SPC uppers as a cheap second hog hunter. I got a couple of their bare lowers on the Father's Day sale and am building up a complete lower for it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have bought a few of thier lowers in the past few months and they are of as good if not better quality than a lot higher priced brands.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Tuned in for updates. My dad is looking to get an AR now for light hunting and plinking. I was already planning on going with them for his build, but would like to hear how your experience goes. Also, I don't think they have the 50$ lowers anymore, they are back up to 80$ I believe. Either way, you can save a few dollars getting it stripped and putting it together yourself.
Just make sure you order the upper and lower separately to save the 11% Federal Excise Tax.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Just make sure you order the upper and lower separately to save the 11% Federal Excise Tax.
Gotcha, I most likely would have ordered them together if not for that info. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Went to Columbia Saturday for the gun show (huge disappointment) and then headed over to PSA. Man, what a great store. Glad they are only an hour away as I will be headed there a lot more. Super nice guys with an awesome selection and even better prices. I was able to semi-confirm the Spikes-PSA-Aero Precision connection. Also, they sell CBST's in store which I found cool. Picked up a few things for the AR and already planning another trip in a month.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Anyone else have experience with their uppers? I'm debating whether to get the Daniel Defense complete upper for $949 and the PSA complete upper for $599. Is there that much difference in quality to justify the price?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Anyone else have experience with their uppers? I'm debating whether to get the Daniel Defense complete upper for $949 and the PSA complete upper for $599. Is there that much difference in quality to justify the price?
Either you are paying too much for the Daniels, or it is much better equipped than the PSA, or a combination of both. While I have a PSA 6.8 upper as a backup rifle to my 6.8SPC hunting AR, I don't think it is the same quality as my Daniels DDM4v5 Light-weight.

I do have 2 PSA lowers, one in build with a BCM upper.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'll chime in...

Bought my 16" upper last month and I couldn't be happier. Was in my hands 5 days after placing order. Top notch stuff. From what I have read online, they have great CS if something did go wrong. They answered all my question emails quickly too.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have 4 lowers and parts kits, they are top notch. I've ordered in different batches too... there are no quality problems that I've seen. My next upper will probably be a PSA upper too.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'll also chime in.... I have a complete lower parts package and a complete FN barreled 20in upper on my AR and couldn't be happier. I think the company has some of if not the best deals out there for building an AR, you really can't beat their prices.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the market to buy an AR-10 with a budget of about $1,000. With this budget doesn't leave me much to choose from. A buddy of mine built a complete Palmetto State Armory AR-10 and has a thousand rounds to go with it of 308 Winchester for $1,000. He's even going to put black Magpul furniture on it just to please me. Since I'm new to the Palmetto State Armory Forum does anybody think this is a great deal?

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,220 Posts
PSA makes good stuff.

Reactions: Jvance325
1 - 20 of 24 Posts