Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm not sure if my eyes are going bad, but while I was at the range today, I found it very difficult to aquire my sights. After the recent post about using model paint to redo the whites on the sights, I decided to try it out with more eye catching colors. I went to a local model shop and purchased some flourescent yellow and orange paint. Here's what I came up with...

Here's the before shot for contrast, I'm sure you're all familiar with this:

Here's the same shot with the dots painted:

A close up on just the rear:

Now just the front:

I will probably won't get a chance to test this out at the range until next week; but in dry fire practice I found it much easier to sight in a target whether I was using both front and rear sights or just using front sight.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
armatron said:
speaking of brush; how did you apply it, etc?
having done model work in the past (yes I was a huge nerd, never got laid in high school) I had a real high quality brush with an ultra thin tip around. I first used thinner on the brush to clean out the holes. I then used very little paint and dabbed in the hole. Let the paint dry and repeated as nessecary until it looked good. When I got a little paint on the outside of the hole, I just put a tiny bit of thinner on a paper towel and wiped it off; the hole is receased enough that you can clean off the outside without undoing your work. As with anytime your doing detailed painting work patience is key! Don't rush, taking you time will make it look a ton better!

·
Registered
166 Posts
It looks awesome, and yes, I will probably be doing this to my XD, as well. I would put the brighter color on the front sight, though, as that's the important one, and should be able to be seen in low light.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
You can also use glow in the dark paint. My daughter had some sitting around and I used it on mine. Looks pretty good.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MPSoldier said:
I would put the brighter color on the front sight...
I totally hear you. In fact, I tried that first. It might just be the shade of yellow I used but the orange was much more dominate. My eyes would fall on the orange before the yellow. Besides, this is more for target shooting, I really don't intend on using the sights for night time home defense. It seems to me I would either use the gun in plenty of light or no light. I'll depend on my tac light and dry fire practice for the no light situations.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
wgnzlz said:
I just got back from buying some paint. I bought flourescent yellow, flourescent green, and orange. I'm not sure what comination I am going with yet.
Post a pic.

Most of my guns have "flat" faced sights, so I can't change their color. But my Beretta does have depressions in the sight where the dots are at. Maybe I'll do some work on them 1 day.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
While you're in the store shoppin for what have ya, try stoppin by the crafts section.
There's several different paints that "glow in the dark".....I've got green and orange on mine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
hrm. I painted mine neon orange in the front, and neon green in the rear.

I kind of wish I left it.

took 20 min with toothpicks and fingernail polish remover (with no added fragrance) to get the white paint out.

another 30 min of stirring, shaking the paint.

10 min to paint it.

It's VERY neon.. and works very well in brightish light. Go to med-med low light and its impossible to see the sights. hard to explain, but the neon doesn't flouresce (sp?) unless it has bright light... so at lowish light it's dark orange/dark green and you can't see it.

personally... I'd stick with white. I think I'm going to with the fiber option (truglos?) as I've heard the tritium sights don't work well in daylight. bleh. BLEH!. Who can I send my slide to to have this done? ajames? Is it true that SA will void the warranty of my gun w/ sights installed by someone other than SA?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts