Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, Just picked up what appears to be an older XD-45 at a pawn shop for a great price!! All the inner workings are perfect. The problem, some Kid painted it!

Not woried about the slide, but the Polymer. Any solvent or paint remover I can use thats safe for the polymer?

·
21,995 Posts
Is that spray paint?

I would send it off to get a new professional paint job. I really dont know what will take that off. Have you tried nail polish remover or paint thinner?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Acetone will remove the paint. I've done it before.

·
Registered
463 Posts
$410:shock: hope you talked them down. At my LGS there are some NIB for $500 w/o the custom paint

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is indeed spray paint. Tried some finger nail polish my daughter had laying around with no results. I guess I'll go to Lowe's and get some stronge acetone. And I'll call Springfield for some direction there.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Pawn shops are notorious for inflated prices, but one can usually talk them down.

Welcome to the forum rpsimpkins;)

AMEN to that! Im bound and determined to find a xd tac 9 for 400ish so i can turn it into an IPSC "open modified" target pistol! (not that i compete, just think it would be fun to shoot!) wish me luck! :p

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Bead blast it or shoot it as-is. The spray paint will eventually wear off. I think it's Duracoat that offers "mission specific" paint. Paint your weapon to match the environment of your current mission and then just re-paint it for the next mission.

Speaking of pawn shops ... I visited one recently that had a sign that said something to the effect of, "If you see something you like, please make an offer. Most prices are negotiable."

Why not just mark the stuff at reasonable prices to begin with? :lol:

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Bead blast it or shoot it as-is. The spray paint will eventually wear off. I think it's Duracoat that offers "mission specific" paint. Paint your weapon to match the environment of your current mission and then just re-paint it for the next mission.

Speaking of pawn shops ... I visited one recently that had a sign that said something to the effect of, "If you see something you like, please make an offer. Most prices are negotiable."

You don't want to bead blast the polymer.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Because there is always some idiot that will come right off the street and give 'em exactly what they are asking for it.

·
Premium Member
127,424 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
You don't want to bead blast the polymer.
You can bead blast polymer. Just be careful with the air pressure and use the right medium. Test a small area with the air pressure at 60 lbs and use 100 to 120 grit garnet sand or aluminum oxide.

If you decide to use a stripper, use one that is intended for automotive bumpers like this one: http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=SEM+77713 Try to avoid "scrubbing" to remove the paint. Also, don't let the stripper sit for long periods of time. It's supposed to be plastic-safe but I wouldn't want to test the limits. :)

Edit: If you're uncomfortable with media blasting polymer, try a pressure washer.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
if you were going to blast the frame use fine Glass bead.

It would probably be easier to just refinish the whole pistol.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Actually it's easier to strip the paint using acetone and you won't need to refinish once the paint is gone. Like I said I've stripped paint off of a polymer frame using acetone didn't take more than 10 min and a 2 to 4oz of acetone. Removed the textured paint below.

Looks like this now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You could also try some rubbing alcohol and cotton balls/cotton rag. I worked for a racing team for a few years. We used alcohol to remove paint from carbon fiber with no problems at all. A wipe with oil will remove the white residue after the alcohol evaporates.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
agalindo if its Duracoat/Guncoat the acetone wont remove it once its cured, regular spray paint yes.

What the heck texture was on your pistol.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts