Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the photoshop xd thread and got curious about painting the polymer frame. Anybody know if it can be done.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a though. I've always like the look of the S&W ladysmith. White frame and stainless slide. I guess I'll have to by a ladysmith uh for the wife of course. :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
There has to be a way to paint it, but I am no expert. Body shops paint plastic parts all the time so it has to be possible.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well, if we are talkinf about the methods of painting plastics like in a body shop, you would just need a can of flex-added spray primer, a can of flex added paint, and a can of flex-added clear coat. That would give you a really durable and forgiving finish on most plastic items, the primer being the real key. The problem lies in that there are no automotive paints that I know of that could hold up to the friction they would get from the cycling slide. not to mention it would take up to 30 days before the paint was totally cured.

Just did a bunch of paint work myself, so I spent a lot of research time on it.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
You should know that the color in extruded plastic's is applied at the time the part is made. It's that color all the way thru. All you can do is apply a surface coat. Not good.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
You should know that the color in extruded plastic's is applied at the time the part is made. It's that color all the way thru. All you can do is apply a surface coat. Not good.
Agreed.

While I think it's very possible, with a lot of effort and artistry to paint a polymer frame with something like a marine resin based paint and get it to look great (if that's what you want), after time it will look horrible. Paint, no matter how durable will wear unevenly (just as the frames do...but as OEFM says, the color is through the material). Between heat, stress and just wear, eventually any kind of refinish on plastic will chip, peel, or wear unevenly and look lousy.

Some things are just better left alone. Unless you want the gun as a showpiece and not a working weapon. But if you want a showpiece gun, there are prettier guns to start with. The XD's beauty is in it's function.

Strictly my opinion. As always, only worth the few strokes of a keyboard. No more and no less.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
580 Posts
i thought the "magic of krylon" was that it chemically bonded with the plastic, making it a good choice. is this fallacy? have i been lied to?

·
Registered
342 Posts
c22m22c said:
i thought the "magic of krylon" was that it chemically bonded with the plastic, making it a good choice. is this fallacy? have i been lied to?
this can't be done. I've tried. Also with vinyl dye, some other plastic paint, and I emailed the society of plastics engineers website and found that efforts would be futile.

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
Reynolds-Wrap said:
Anybody have experience with CCR Refinishing? I remember them being mentioned a while back. I was considering them for a frame paint, but decided to stick with the chrome+black after getting my XD back from Tripp.

http://www.ccr-refinishing.com/hg.htm
I remember the guy from CCR spent some time on this site a while ago...pre-hijack. I am not sure if any of his posts are still valid, run a quick search and see.

I think there were some good reviews of his work.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info. I'll check out the sites.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
if you a really serious about this, find some simular plastic, or a test spot on teh frame and try a plastic or vinyl dye like the kind you would use for re-dying teh dash of acar (Autozone, pep-boys, etc.)

·
Registered
885 Posts
c22m22c said:

I don't know about it chemically bonding to the plastic, but I can vouch for the durability of this stuff.
I used it to repaint a youth football helmet covering the red plastic with white Krylon. It made it through the entire season with out any chips, nicks or peeling. It took many a hit and would smudge the finish just like if it were a white plastic helmet, but never chipped. I was very impressed. I took the time to follow the directions on the spray can to the letter.
Now...for all you nay-sayers...flame on, I can take it. I'm just giving an honest endorsement for the stuff (based on my experience), I'm not a Krylon stock-holder.

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info on Tripp they are right here in town I'll give them a call.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts