Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range today with the Sig P938 and the XD 4" Service.

Shot total 100 rds of FMJ including Freedom Munitions 124gr, Independence 115gr, and Rem UMC through the Sig, and about 50 through the XD. They all ran fine, then I switched to some reloads from Ventura Munitions with 124gr HST bullets.

Out of 21 rounds of the VM HSTs (3 mags), only 7 went bang (similar number of LPS in each mag) in the P938.

Close up of the LPS

Put those 14 rounds (and 16 fresh VM reloads) through the XD and they all ran fine.

I have also run into hard primers on ZQ1 in the P938.

The XD doesn't care.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
No it doesn't. My 938 didn't like certain ammo either and it was primer related. Brands it liked though it was flawless.

Reactions: ZanderMan

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Just spit-ballin' here, but is there a heavier hammer spring available for the 938? That doesn't make up for ammunition failures, but it might help with hard primers .

·
Premium Member
18,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm on SigTalk and that option has never been tossed out...

I'll avoid hard primers for target practice, but sure makes it hard to consider as a carry weapon.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Very interesting. I've never ran into this problem with my 938, but I usually stick to the same few brands and don't venture out too often.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I'm on SigTalk and that option has never been tossed out...

I'll avoid hard primers for target practice, but sure makes it hard to consider as a carry weapon.
I really don't have any experience with the 938, but since it's design has 1911 roots, there are a few things that come to mind. An underpowered hammer spring, a firing pin a few microns shorter than spec, or the chamber is slightly out of spec. Honestly, I would give Sig a call. That many failures to fire with a CCI brand of ammo would make me a bit suspicious of the gun. If it was Wolf, it would be a different story, since they're know to have hard primers.

·
Premium Member
18,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ZQ1 is a CCI brand? Not sure what you're referring to. The primers?

The ammo I had most issue with was from Ventura Munitions.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts

Ah, I was wondering what VM was. I've ran plenty of Federal HST and Gold Dots through mine with no issues. Will have to try some of my Wolf to see if I get light strike issues with the P938. My striker-fired pistols don't care for it, but my hammer-fired pistols eat it fine.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts

Sorry, I viewed the thread on my phone, zoomed in, and noticed the Blazer head stamp without looking at the other casings. Blazer is a CCI brand.

·
Premium Member
18,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, I viewed the thread on my phone, zoomed in, and noticed the Blazer head stamp without looking at the other casings. Blazer is a CCI brand.
Right but the pic is all reloads from Ventura Munitions. I need to ask them whose primers they use.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
My Sig P290rs hated ALL primers when I first got it. Hard Russian ones worse. Notorious for that. Went back one time, they worked their magic, and now 100% better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts