Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my review from the KTOG site on my recent xmas gift (thanks wife :))

Thought I'd add a bit on the XD side to the report here. In the below, I ran 50 rounds of .380 with the P3AT and 100 rds of .40S&W with the XD40, but focused the report on the P3AT. The XD, however, continues to impress, especially when shooting right next to/after another gun. Moving from the P3AT to the XD was like going from a .. well, hell, i'm bad at analogies so lets just say the XD was like butter in my hands compared to the P3AT :) I will be carrying the P3AT daily once the CCW gets in, but the XD will remain my main home/office and car carry piece for sure... I wish I could conceal the XD40 better, but the P3AT is hands down the gun for me in that department, decent enough stopping power and hides right in my front pocket and looks like a wallet with the new Desanti..

---
2nd Gen P3AT - put 50 rounds through today after buying it used/disassembly/cleaning it. Had zero problems with FTE, FTF, etc. Happy about that!

With the first mag (shown below) every shot was down low, not used to the trigger at all compared to my XD40. After the first mag I tightened up the next 3 mags nicely I thought. All shots were done slowly without lowering the gun between shots to gauge how I could shoot in a very controlled situation (yeah right, like that would ever happen from 3 yards!)

Next, moved out to 7 yards (results below). First mag I repeated the shoot patten of the 3 yard. Was grouping ok but a bit left. 2nd and 3rd mags (3rd had limited rounds so I could still shoot at 15yds) was from a draw, where the goal was to draw and line up/shoot as quickly as possible in a more 'normal' shooting situation, results diminished accordingly with further left movement usually indicating recoil anticipation or incorrect trigger placement. Given I'm a fairly new shooting in general, can't say this is a surprise, I need a lot more practice!!

Next, moved out to 15 yards (results below). Returned to the slow shooting with each shot. No discernable grouping, but I was happy that I hit the target with some degree of accuracy at that range with that small of a gun truthfully given my newbie status...

For comparison, I then shot my XD40 (man what a different feeling that is when you shoot them side by side like that!) at 3yds and 15yds for comparison (below)

For grins, and while I had Photoshop open, I put the XD40 side by side with the P3AT and then on an overlay. Because of the bad photo of the phone, I tried to do an outline of the P3AT against the XD40. Not great photoshop, but hopefully a good idea of the size difference (it is huge!)

End result. For me, the P3AT does exactly what I bought it for, reliable everyday easy carry gun with some punch that I can shoot with some degree of accuracy up to 7 yards. Close in I'm very confident, need to work on the 7yards+ out range obviously but with no failures of any kind and the ease of shooting, this gun is a winner :)

Cheers,
Paul
---

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Old School said:
I bet if you get the pinky extension for the P3AT, your groups will tighten up. That gun has a God-awful long pull. A good grip is key.
yeah, i ordered 3 with my 2 mag order the other day. snap caps and winchester .380s for my carry ammo. nice that i've had no problems with it, given what others have had....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey Paul:

You have exactly the same set up that I do.

The P3AT for carry and the XD40 for home defense. I also carry my XD at times, but the P3AT is so much easier to drop in a Nemasis holster and pop in the pocket.

Good job on the groups!

Happy Holidays,
ralst4

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey paul,
I too have the same setup, except that my xd is the subcompact 9. Since it was a bit closer to the P3at in size, I did a bit of work concealing it, and it is now the only one I carry. I love the p4at, and keep it for the rare occasion when the xd won't fit, but having the pop of the 9 (or .40) in your case and a gun that I shoot well is just worth ti to me. Shooting the P3at is tough, and I found that i really enjoyed range time more wiht the XD, so why not carry the gun I liked ot shoot so that I would enjoy beocming an expert with it? Anyway, I do love and will keep both, but just feel better with the XD sub (be it of whatever caliber it may) at my side.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aaroncstevens, had i had to do it all over, I think I'd go with the XD40SC and just have one, but after buying the service, it was just too big for daily carry for me, and not having a lot of cash (nor wanting to get rid of the XD40 service :)) I picked up that P3AT for $195. I think it was a good deal myself, I'm pretty happy with the way things worked out, and this way we can keep a gun both on me and at home when the wife may need it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
hey, cant argue with that. two guns beats one anyday. HAving the 40 in the service may make it easier for the wife to shoot, so you may havean added benefit there. Great choices, and enjoy.
Aaron Stevens

1 - 9 of 9 Posts