Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With in the next week, I plan to buy an HK because I don't have one yet and have been wanting one. I was thinking of getting the vp9 but with the $200 rebate goin on I think I'll spring for the P30 or P30L. Theres a shop a couple hours away that I like dealing with and he has both the p30 and p30l. I know you can get them with diff triggers and I need to be learned up on them. At this time I do not know which set up they have. I will find out soon. I do not want an external safety, that's all I know right now. So basically, which versions are there and which is best. This will not be used for carry if that matters on which I should choose. Thanks for any info.

·
Administrator
17,309 Posts
Well, you can only get DA/SA, or LEM. If you get a DA/SA, you can convert it to a LEM. But you can't convert LEM to a DA/SA. If you don't want a safety, then don't buy one with it. You can't convert it to a non-safety. Some you can... but not the P30.

DA/SA is just that. LEM is a hybrid trigger group they offer to appease the striker guys that can't seem to figure out double action. The fan base is rather rabid for LEM. Those that like it love it, others, not so much. The parts to convert to LEM run about 100-120 I think. I don't have LEM on any of mine.

The P30 comes with a 12 lb hammer spring. You can get a 10 lb spring to lighten the pull weight. You can also get a lighter trigger return spring and firing pin block spring. But none of that has anything to do with what you will buy off the shelf.

I don't know the variant numbers of the top of my head. All the numbers are different for different HK pistols. Basically, you have safety, DA/SA, or LEM. Different configurations on that. You might see a "Light LEM". Not sure if that is offered from HK.... but you won't see one on a shelf probably. All the "Light" is is just what I said with a couple of the lighter springs. After you get your P30, you can research all you want on what springs you want to change.

Reactions: HodgePodge

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I'd say go for it, it's the best $700 pistol you can get for $1000 :grin:

That DA pull is llloooooonnnggg. Aggravatingly long, surprisingly long, piss-me-offingly long. Everything about the gun is great, feels better in my hand than others, balanced, looks great. But that pull sucks big time, oh and the reset is unacceptably long and there is too much slop. This is why I quip about the best $700 gun...a pistol that costs this much should come with a good trigger, no should come with a very good trigger. This one is below average at best. Can you tell it makes me mad?

It's a love / hate with me, I still plan on buying the one I am issued when it is retired. I wish I shot it better and I did get better with quite a bit of trigger time.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Powerman is our resident HK guy so not much to add to his post.

I had the P30LS, long slide with safety. Very nice gun, accurate and very good quality. To Hodge's point the trigger could be better but Powerman knows HK trigger guys if you want one worked over.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
To follow up on two good posts.

V1 = light LEM (~4.5lb. Pull)
V2 = LEM (~7lb. Pull)
V3 = DA/SA
V4 = LEM (6lb. Pull) not a factory option.

P30S / P30LS = safety
P30 /P30L = no safety

I don't like the V2.

Right now is a great time to try one out, they can be had for ~$600 after rebate. With that said, the VP9 is also a nice gun.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Hey, what about mine? What, too much whining? :mrgreen:
No, I was referring to yours. Snaphook doesn't count, he sold his :)

BTW, I'm with you for the most part. For its price the P30 should have a better trigger. Personally, I don't mind them so much and I'll add, the LEM is an acquired taste.

·
Administrator
17,309 Posts
I liked my P30 trigger out of the box. Very smooth for a new trigger. While reset might be long compared to what some are used to, I find it acceptable. Plenty of room for improvement, but it will do. It can be cut in half with work.

There is plenty of info out there to read on LEM. If you don't know... There is no DA, SA pull. All trigger pulls are the same. It's actually a innovative trigger. It still clocks the trigger, but it is much lighter due to it being half cocked. Anyway, long light pull to wall, break shot. Out to reset, repeat. Myself, I don't mind DA, and I love SA. And while it might not be legit to think of it as such, DA is my safety. I don't like manual safeties.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Maybe I got lucky, and I'm an avowed trigger snob, but I thought the trigger on my P30 and HK45 were both pretty good. Not great, about on par with a stock CZ75 trigger with a longer reset. The DA was smooth and non stacking and the SA was crisp with a bit longer takup than I would have ideally wanted. But all in all a good if not great trigger.

I don't expect the same SA/DA trigger pull in a polymer gun that I get in my X5, but there is a good argument that for a grand the HK trigger could be better (since for 600 they've got a heck of a trigger in the VP9).

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I agree with Snap, I actually don't mind the SA/DA trigger pull in the p30. It fits my number one goal in a trigger, consistency.
I have no experience with the LEM, and don't really care to try it.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A lot of good info thanks. I called the shop the 30L has a safety although on the web site it wasn't labeled with an S, and the 30 sold. I did some more calling and a shop close by can get me a 30L v3 but it'll cost me a grand. I try to buy from shops before resorting to online. With all this trigger talk I'm going to feel one before I drop the money and order one. If the P30 isn't worth the money over the vp9 then I would certainly think about the striker route. I just thought since the vp9 isn't included in the rebate I could get a p30 for vp9 price. I assumed that the 30 had a better trigger but maybe not?

·
Administrator
17,309 Posts
A "better" trigger is relative. If you want a DA/SA, then the best striker trigger on the planet won't do and visa versa. I played with a VP9 the other day. Yes, very nice. Clean break and short reset. I was right in my assumption in that the reset is as short as a HK45. I know a guy that has put 10k through his and it keeps getting better. He has sent all his pistols to the same guy, but didn't do much to it.

The P30 to me is a nice trigger. Reset is twice as long. Certainly acceptable. They break in great too. With work you can get the reset shortened to the VP9. But that would blow the rebate. But for $200 including shipping you would get a very sweet DA/SA including his accuracy work. It just depends what you want.

You can't make a bad choice. Both will serve you well and worth every penny.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I might have sounded a little critical about in my previous post but to put in better perspective, I have more than one and I'm filling out a rebate form as we speak.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
You can't go wrong with either choice. I suggest you take advantage of the rebate and get the P30. You can always get a deal on the VP9 later. Ergomomics is taken to a new level with these guns side and strap insert combinations. It should be noted these are service/duty designed guns and not target pistols. I test a trigger by firing the gun and answer one question-- Does the trigger action prevent accurate shot placement? Once you become familiar with the gun, it is accurate and the trigger is not a detraction from this very able gun. Without a manual safety, I prefer a firm double action pull. Reset and single action are very acceptable.

The VP9 delivers one of the best striker fired triggers right along side the Walther PPQ. The deeper undercut in the grip allows a wonderful grasp of an already great feeling firearm. This gun does come with a mid-trigger safety latch. The barrel/slide is longer than the P30 and about a half ounce lighter. Both guns have ambi mag release levers on the trigger guard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.