Springfield XD Forum banner

Which one would you select for CCW?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,
I'm always debating with myself and searching for the "ultimate" concealed single stack 9mm. Yeah, Right! :lol:. Looking to anyone and everyone's opinion on what you would select out of this list. Additionally, Yes, I know there is no ultimate CCW. That would be silly to think that there is such a thing. LOL. I'm only considering single stack magazine, no safety 9mm handguns. Yes, I know that there is exceptional option in Single Action, such as, the Sig P938 and a great selection of double stack magazine options but for this poll I'm mainly concerned with the handguns in this list. Please comment on the reasons why you selected one of the handguns in this list. If you select Other, please by all means let us know what you selected as your choice and your reasons why. I welcome everyone's comments good and bad about any and all the guns mention.

I've shot the Sig, XDS45, and the Beretta and I like them all for all the reasons you can imagine. Of course, any of the following would serve the purpose of a CCW but I want to get your views. Take into consideration that whichever one I would decided upon I would change out the trigger and add night sights(Sig already has NS) for whichever has the capability to do so.

These three are existentially same in size (smallest)
Sig P290RS 6/8rds Hammer fired no safety 20.5oz, 5.50in length, 3.90in height, 0.9in (1.1 in with slide catch lever) width Trigger9lbs
Beretta Nano 6/8rds Striker fired no safety 19.8oz, 5.63in length, 4.17in height, 0.9in width Trigger not listed
Kahr CM9 6/7rds Striker fired no safety 15.9oz, 5.42in length, 4.00in height, 0.9in width Trigger not listed

Similar in size (largest)
Springfield XDS 9 7/9rds Striker fired no safety 23.0oz, 6.30in length, 4.40in height, 0.9in width Trigger 5.5 - 7.7lbs+/-
S&W M&P Shield 7/8rds Striker fired no safety version 19.0oz 6.10in length, 4.60in height, 0.95in width Trigger 6.5lbs+/-

All but the Kahr have extended magazines 8 to 9 capacity. The Shield with no safety is due out in a month or so(most likely the so) and will be the only way I would purchase it.

Prices vary everywhere of course (guesstimates at best):
Sig P290RS $475-500
Beretta Nano $400-500
Kahr CM9 $350-400
Springfield XDs 9 $475-575 $475 at Spring Guns and Ammo down the road here.
S&W M&P Shield $350-450

Give me your opinion of the ones you like the most for CCW?

I appreciate your response.
Thanks,
Terry

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
There is no "ultimate" CC gun, but it's the CM-9 lol.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I just picked up two shields for 380 each after tax, NIB. The kahr and the shield are the cheapest. Coincidentally, they are also the best two in that list.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I just picked from the list. I sold my CM9 for a Glock 27.

·
Registered
18,433 Posts
Seeing how you already have an XDS in 45, I am thinking you are looking for smaller.
I would go with the CM 9.
If you like the 1911 platform, you may want to look into the Sig 938.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
I will first have to say, that if your looking for the "ultimate concealed single stack 9mm", you will soon discover....there is no such animal. Consider it a search for the Holy Grail. The next question you can ask yourself is, "What am I willing to compromise?"

Every one of these are similar but different. And the operators that have handled, shot or carried each one of these, knows the compromise of each. We could all say, that one is too heavy or big, that one has a thumb safety (love or hate), I don't like the way that one looks, this one fits better. I love, hate, hammer fire. Love hate that trigger. Why would I pay more MORE dolla for that one, when it does nothing better than this one?

Bottom line: What is gonna give you the most confidence and what feels best to shoot? I could tell you which 2 of the 4 fits my mission best, but that's just me. This is your Holy Grail :mrgreen: Oh...BTW, you may find that when you get around the block a few times with your final choice, the grass on the other side may just be a little better.

Best of luck. Have fun making your well informed decisions, and let us know where you came down and why.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Voted for the XDs cause I really like it. Have 2 of them (45). I also have
2 Shields (40 & 9). Have a Nano too and can't wait to get rid of it. No
experience with a Kahr or the Sig P90RS but I do have a Glock G42 w/
CT Laserguard that I carry when I'm wearing exceptionally light clothing
like when bike riding or on those extremely rare occasions when I just
have to dress up.;)
Dano

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have a Nano too and can't wait to get rid of it.
Dano,
Would you mind providing an explanation why you are getting rid of the Nano? Thanks for voting, I appreciate it.
Thanks,
Terry

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
As a PM9 owner, I think the CM9 has the most up swings from the group. Very small, very shootable, cheapest option and fantastic accuracy for its size.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I carried the XDs .45, owned a Beretta Nano for a few months and currently carry the P290rs. The nano and the 290 hide the best. The nano trigger wasn't bad, but it never felt quite right for me. The lack of a slide release lever was something I could never get use to. I let my buddy try it and he ended up buying it and absolutely loves the pistol. It is picky with ammo. If you're not shooting 124 or 147 grain ammo it won't cycle properly. I don't like paying premium prices to practice at the range. With 115 grain I would get FTE every few rounds.

For me, the 290 is the pistol I should have bought all along. It feels great in my hands and shooting is very pleasant. The restrike capability is very nice. I've had a couple light strikes out of several hundred rounds. A second trigger pull sent the round down range though. The light strikes were with cheap ball ammo, not the defensive rounds that I tested. The first few field strips will be a bit of a pain in the ass. Now I can break it down without using a tool to remove the take down pin. A big plus is that it comes with night sights and still costs about the same as the XDs. Also, it cycles every thing I fed it.

I can't speak to the XDs in 9, but the .45 is a pleasant shooter and disassembly is a breeze. The gun cycled every type of ammo I fed it. The PRP spring kit gave the gun a great feel. Its well worth the few dollars and your time.

·
Registered
465 Posts
LOL I just got rid of a P290RS because the trigger was just awfull. The reset is at the front of the trigger pull so I could just never shoot it well. Very nice lil pistol otherwise it is just stuck with that trigger. Same with the Kahrs long ass trigger pull and bad reset. I will just stick with the Xd-s as it has been the best for me. YMMV

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I've owned everything on your list except the Nano.

On the Sig P290rs, I had one and didn't care for it and I'm a certified Sigaholic. It was reliable and relatively accurate but the trigger pull, while smooth, is looooooooooooooooooong. So long in fact that you're trigger finger is pulling past it's comfortable range of motion to complete the firing cycle.

I had a PM9 and it was excellent, and I just got a CM9 and it is excellent. Smooth short trigger pull, small and easy to conceal, and quite accurate. My PM needed a breakin period but the CM has been flawless so far through 150 or so rounds. I got it from Grabagun for 322 so it was a huge bargain.

The Shield and XDs are Pepsi vs Coke. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other and I've owned 2 Shield's and 1 XDs. The Shield has a safety I didn't care for (although they are correcting it) but it was a flawless accurate performer. My EDC is my XDs, so that tells you how highly I think of that gun. Smooth but heavy trigger (which is what I want for carry) and quite accurate. In fact more accurate for me than one would expect with a gun that small. I believe the Shield and the XDs are holster guns not pocket guns, while the CM9 and P290rs can comfortably be carried in the pocket. So between the 2 I say pick which one feels better to you if you can live with the safety on the Shield. For price comparison the Shields have come way down in price and it's every bit as good quality as the XDs so you don't get much for spending more on the XDs.

So, from your list I would go with the CM9.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
For price comparison the Shields have come way down in price and it's every bit as good quality as the XDs so you don't get much for spending more on the XDs.
Except an ambi friendly mag release. Makes for no nonsense manual of arms for lefties and righty's living under the same roof.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone! This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Please remember to put your vote in the poll. Some of you it looks like may have forgotten.

Keep your votes and comments coming.

Thanks,
Terry

·
Registered
119 Posts
ruger LC9

had that and the xds and sold the xds because the lc9 is much easier to carry
fires every ammo i put through it, cheap, premium JHP even the aluminium case crap

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
I voted for the Xds over the Shield only because the XDs is now available in the 4.0 model. IWB, that extra barrel length costs you nothing while enhancing performance. ;)

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Except an ambi friendly mag release. Makes for no nonsense manual of arms for lefties and righty's living under the same roof.
Fair enough. I can't make fun of lefties as both my kids are.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts