Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried any in an XDM40? what about a +P+?

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Has anyone tried any in an XDM40? what about a +P+?
No such animal.

To be more clear, .40S&W's already considered a "hot" and/or high pressure round; that's why you never see any +P or +P+ for it on the shelves, like you do for the 9mm.

I've only ever heard of one ammo supplier offering a so-called "+P" .40 round; turns out they were re-loads they were selling in bulk. I have NEVER seen nor heard of any factory-loaded .40S&W in +P or +P+.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are some reloads sold by Georgia Arms that they claim to be +P and +P+. I was just wondering if anyone had shot any. I would think that they still cant co over the pressure as any other case and therfore should be just like any of my regular reloads right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So has anyone tried it in an XDM? I see this got moved.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
IF a manuf. is loading to pressures greater than SAAMI, they can call it a +p or +P+ or "superdooper" or what ever, the point is, it's not recognized by the industry std. THe 40S&W is already loaded to max. safe pressure. It is one of the most often KB rounds out there. Flirting w/ over pressure loads would be unwise. Having said that, what some botique manuf, like DT are doing, is loading w/ a special powder blend that gets them higher vel. & staying within acceptable pressure levels. They call their ammo +p to denote it's higher vel. IMO, you get little trying to squeeze an extra 50fps out of a round. If you need more gas, go up in caliber.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
IF a manuf. is loading to pressures greater than SAAMI, they can call it a +p or +P+ or "superdooper" or what ever, the point is, it's not recognized by the industry std. THe 40S&W is already loaded to max. safe pressure. It is one of the most often KB rounds out there. Flirting w/ over pressure loads would be unwise. Having said that, what some botique manuf, like DT are doing, is loading w/ a special powder blend that gets them higher vel. & staying within acceptable pressure levels. They call their ammo +p to denote it's higher vel. IMO, you get little trying to squeeze an extra 50fps out of a round. If you need more gas, go up in caliber.
+1

There is no SAAMI spec for +P .40 S+W.

If you look at the velocities that most of those manufactures selling +P .40 S+W you will see that they aren't any faster than standard pressure loads from other companies such as Double Tap or Corbon.

If someone is selling +P or +P+ .40 S+W it is either marketing hype that means nothing or they are loading to pressures beyond what SAAMI has deemed safe.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I also get a kick out of some of these ammo manufacturers.
10 - 20 fps faster than standard , and all of a sudden it`s "+P".:roll:
100 fps faster must be +P+++++++++++++. !! LOL
It`s ridiculous.
Regards, Pete

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
+1

There is no SAAMI spec for +P .40 S+W.

If you look at the velocities that most of those manufactures selling +P .40 S+W you will see that they aren't any faster than standard pressure loads from other companies such as Double Tap or Corbon.

If someone is selling +P or +P+ .40 S+W it is either marketing hype that means nothing or they are loading to pressures beyond what SAAMI has deemed safe.
I remember reading the exact same thing about the .380+P 3 or 4 years ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts