Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a .40 S&W XD and I've seen postings about 9mm +P and +P+ ammo. I did a little researching into it and I understand what it means but I haven't noticed any +P or +P+ ammo in the .40 S&W caliber. Anyone know why that is?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
206 Posts
Because the .40S&W round is already pushed about as much as safely possible.

·
Registered
512 Posts
There are companies that market some "+P" .40S&W ammo but it's just marketing hype, as Boss302 said the .40S&W is already a high pressure round and really can't be loaded any hotter.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
From what I hear, Corbon makes the hottest .40 loads and used to market them as +P. I have an older box of them that still says .40 +P on the side.

·
Registered
596 Posts
This link is a lsit of the SAAMI standard pressures for many cartridges:
SAAMI pressure specs

If ammo hasn't been standardized by SAAMI, it could be dangerous to use.

There will be some that may chime in to say something like "I use ++P++ ammo in my (insert make and model of firearm here) and have never had any problems". They would probably be correct (this is the internet, after all), but I would never take the risk of unknown pressure ammo in anything I shoot unless it was the only thing available before going into a situation where I knew I'd need to use it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I agree with the other Posters.
40S&W is already, "+P".
Take note too, all your +P stuff are older cartridge designs. ( 9mm , 38spec. , 45 ACP )
Regards, Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts