Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any word from SA about using these loads? I saw a thread where everyone was saying they've used them without any problems but I'd like to know what SA says about it.

Anyone have any official info about it?

Thanks,
Frankie

Ps, I apologize if this has been covered but I'm mobile and searching is a bit of a pain

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Is there any word from SA about using these loads? I saw a thread where everyone was saying they've used them without any problems but I'd like to know what SA says about it.

Anyone have any official info about it?

Thanks,
Frankie

Ps, I apologize if this has been covered but I'm mobile and searching is a bit of a pain
If you want to know what SA thinks about it why don't you give then a call or send them an email.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i bought some winchester supreme elite pdx1 9mm 214 grain +p ammo and i was kinda worried about shooting plus p ammo thru my xdm.i called springfield and they told me its ok to shoot it but don't use it all the time for practice shooting.use the ammo for personal protection,the gun can handle the +p ammo.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
As I understand it, +P+ is ok in the XD line, but may accelerate wear.

·
Registered
110 Posts
+p and +p+ are okay in the xdm's. However, john_bud is right, it will accelerate wear. I see no use for +p+ as it just adds recoil and muzzle flash. +p should be more than enough in a situation where 9mm works anyways.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
To an extent, yes. When it's dark and your night vision suffers in a dangerous situation, not so much.

But you forget that some people only want to look "bad ass" and are not concerned about the practical end of things.

While the higher pressure rounds can be used, I have the opinion that there is no actual gain from using them over standard pressure 9mm rounds with a quality JHP. I'm so far to the other end of "bad ass looks" that a carry gun with integral silencer being totally quiet and 100% flash free would be my idea of perfect.

But it takes all kinds. It would be a pretty messed up world if everybody was the same as me!

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
But you forget that some people only want to look "bad ass" and are not concerned about the practical end of things.

While the higher pressure rounds can be used, I have the opinion that there is no actual gain from using them over standard pressure 9mm rounds with a quality JHP.
I'm so far to the other end of "bad ass looks" that a carry gun with integral silencer being totally quiet and 100% flash free would be my idea of perfect.

But it takes all kinds. It would be a pretty messed up world if everybody was the same as me!
Yep, I read a post that said corbon where the best SD round because they shot a blue flame about a foot long out his gun.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did a lil research and found that a +p 124gr JHP, even though it's traveling faster, doesn't penetrate gel as far as a STD pressure 147gr JHP. I guess the momentum of the heavier round keeps it going. I'm going to pick up 200-250 rounds of STD pressure 147gr Winchester Ranger T's so I have enough to put down range to test for reliability and to fill 2 mags for defense use.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, I read a post that said corbon where the best SD round because they shot a blue flame about a foot long out his gun.:rolleyes:
What purpose would a blue flame serve for SD? I guess he's hoping the bg will tell him how cool he looked shooting at him lol I would like to see that, sounds like it would look awesome! As John_bud said, quiet and flash free would be ideal IMO.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I did a lil research and found that a +p 124gr JHP, even though it's traveling faster, doesn't penetrate gel as far as a STD pressure 147gr JHP. I guess the momentum of the heavier round keeps it going. I'm going to pick up 200-250 rounds of STD pressure 147gr Winchester Ranger T's so I have enough to put down range to test for reliability and to fill 2 mags for defense use.
Of course it isn't going to penetrate deeper.

Jump off the high dive and see how hard that water is, now jump off the edge of the pool into the water.

That gives you an idea of why faster results in less penetration.

+P is going to open a hollow point quicker and dump more energy in a shorter distance. Heavy for caliber is going to smash through and penetrate far deeper because it isn't going to be met with nearly as much resistance.

147gr for the 9mm is a very scary round, in just about any loading. 115gr +P+ is good for limited penetration. If you want the best all around, 147gr standard pressure works well, and for shorter barrels 147gr +P to help get it to expand as well as it does from a longer barrel. I don't really see where 124gr fits in. As long as the bullet expands at its designed velocity, 50-150 extra FPS isn't going to help performance. Service caliber handgun rounds are very weak regardless what they are, they operate off of bullet design and not velocity. If you're really interested in velocity you should grab a rifle because even if a 9mm could push a 124gr at 1500fps it's still not going to be much of an improvement over 1000fps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting points there! This ballistics stuff is new to me so I'm still learning lol I need to get my computer setup so I can really do some research. Doing it from my phone sucks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts