Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't finished searching, but while I have been online at the Springfield site and looking at the manuals and stuff, still can't find the info..... will ask and delete the post if I can find it....

Anyway...

Any of my friends here know if we can run 9mm +P+ rounds in our XDM and XDM compacts?

I know the M&P9c says that standard 9mm is ok... they suggest limiting the amount of 9mm +p ammo that is used.

Can't find anything about the ammo for our XDM's. What do y'all know about it??
THANKS!!

·
Registered
29,831 Posts
You can run it.

If you run a lot of it, consider getting a heavier recoil spring. But if you're only going to run a couple of boxes to verify function, no modifications are necessary.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks "Cuda"..... appreciate it.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Most modern 9mm will run +p or +P+. In some manuf, there is little to no diff, since there is no SAAMI spec for +P+. Pressures may actually not be beyond SAAMI +p. Anytime you run a machine at full speed, you will get increased wear. This is guns, cars, drill bits, etc. So practice with std pressure ammo, shoot +P or +P+ occasionally to stay familiar & change the recoil springs often, like every 7-8K rds.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I completely agree with Fred even down to the recommendation to keep your recoil springs up to par. Many people do not change them even after years of use, but those of us who shoot perhaps tens of thousands of rounds per year realize that they will become weaker over time. If you plan on shooting maximum loads frequently, the freshening of your recoil springs is essential to prevent excessive wear or damage to your gun. They are not very expensive and extras should be kept on hand.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.... appreciate it!!

Most loads have been pretty tame target loads, but as I start running more powerful defense loads, yes, I will get some parts and pieces for spares.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
If you need that much velocity, go to a .357 SIG, and a gun designed to run it. +p+ is always a chance. Since there's no SAAMI specs for it, you may be buying really hot loads or paying more for nothing but a standard +p. Think of the added recoil you'll get, along with more difficulty making fast, accurate followup shots. If you're after better penetration, weight is the answer, not velocity.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Haven't finished searching, but while I have been online at the Springfield site and looking at the manuals and stuff, still can't find the info..... will ask and delete the post if I can find it....

Anyway...

Any of my friends here know if we can run 9mm +P+ rounds in our XDM and XDM compacts?

I know the M&P9c says that standard 9mm is ok... they suggest limiting the amount of 9mm +p ammo that is used.

Can't find anything about the ammo for our XDM's. What do y'all know about it??
THANKS!!
Why? Get a bigger gun.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
If you need that much velocity, go to a .357 SIG, and a gun designed to run it. +p+ is always a chance. Since there's no SAAMI specs for it, you may be buying really hot loads or paying more for nothing but a standard +p. Think of the added recoil you'll get, along with more difficulty making fast, accurate followup shots. If you're after better penetration, weight is the answer, not velocity.

I agree 100%---if you want awesome velocity from a 9mm load, get a 357Sig and run a few Underwood GD @ 1475 fps. Interesting experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I don't know of any gun manufacture, including Springfield that is going to say in print or otherwise, "Our guns are OK to shoot +P+ Ammo.

It would make them liable for damages when someone's gun blows up. You shoot +P+ at your own risk, whatever it may be.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Again... there are NO specs for +P+ and it is anyone's guess as to what actual pressures might be. I would shy away from any ammo that claims to be +P+ for the simple reason there is no realistic way to designate any such ammo, nor any way to assume just what it will produce in your gun.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
You know, though I have never fired one, I cannot help but think that a 357SIG would have less "perceptible recoil" than say, a brisk 165grn 40cal load. There is a reason that people shoot 9mm Major instead of just shooting a standard 40cal, though magazine capacity has a lot to do with it. My own experience with specialized 9mm Major type guns including 9X19 loaded to Major, 9X23, and 38 Super/SuperComp indicate to me that at the power levels required for Major, and using a NON compensated gun, the recoil is not that much different, but still slightly less than tuned 40cal loads generally shot in that division. The difference is generally that 9mm Major guns are compensated and have that extra few rounds which will get you through a stage without a reload. However, you never see 357SIG used in 9mm major matches, mostly because you will not benefit from increased magazine capacity over a standard 40cal even though 357SIG will easily make major with "reduced" loadings. Plus, 357SIG is much harder to reload... more like a rifle round, and so knocking out 500rnds for a match or just practice is way more time consuming.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i liken running the 9+ in a handgun is like running a car over a bumpy road a bunch. will not break the gun but will kinda put a little more age on the hangun than normal. JMHO

i shot about 20 rounds through my XDM and had no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Like both Fred and I have said before, if you are always loading on the high side or shooting +P type loads, you will need to replace at least the recoil spring on a regular basis to insure continued good function. To me this means somewhere around 5000rnds (though I have gone sometimes twice that with 40cal guns, but had parts on hand) which for a lot of people means at least once a year. It is not unusual for serious gun gamers, who are not always loading to those levels but do have high round counts, to replace springs several times a season and to have spares of not only springs but other parts or complete guns in their kit.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Appreciate all the thoughts guys.

The question was asked because I was able to get some Ranger "T-series" 9mm in +p+ loads only. PIcked them up. Will run a mag through to check for reliability and plan on using it only for self defense / home defense. Will not be an every day range round.

Will let y'all know if any problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts