Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll keep it short and sweet.
I'm researching OWB for my Sigs and XDs.
For those of you that have tired/done/do it,
Do I want an open top or thumb break?

Any comments are appreciated..........

Thank you 1LL..:D

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
Whatever type of holster you get, retention is a really good idea.

Thumb breaks are good, Serpa is better. If they come out with a leather, cross draw, pancake holster with a Serpa style retention, I'm buying it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
+1 on the serpa (by Blackhawk!) Very natural release.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
OWB I feel that you need some type of retention at the very least.Without any type of retention just bending over,or snagging the end of the grip could have your weapon ending up on the floor.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
IMHO:

Open carry - retention of some sort is requited.

Concealed - personal choice. I don't use a hostler with retention (other than friction) when carrying concealed.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
It does depend on what you are going to be doing...You need some retention OWB but I only carry that way when I'm hunting and I have a thumb break Uncle Mike's kydex paddle. Inexpensive and can take some beating without being out alot of money but it keeps the pistol in place climbing, bending etc. IWB only friction...I haven't found an OWB that I comfortable carrying concealed without a jacket...

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
If it is going to be concealed, I would feel comfortable with some passive retention. But if you are going to OC, I would definitely get an active retention holster. I also have to recommend the Serpa, unless you are looking for easy concealment.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I have been carrying for several years now and I always OWB carry with holsters that have some sort of retention device. My Del Fatti holsters have thumb-breaks, the Serpa is self-explanatory, and I have Safariland holsters with various retention devices and levels.

The Serpa retention device is one of the newer devices on the market right now, but also one of the most promising IMHO. You use the natural indexing of your finger along the frame/slide of the pistol and while the lock is extremely secure, holstering and drawing the pistol is seamless!! They are great products and very reasonably priced. If you go OWB, you should definitely consider one!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I like the Galco Fletch for outside carry on my XD45. It has a thumb snap that holds the gun in the holster and can be released with draw hand easily. I also like that the snap piece goes across the end of the slide and not across the grip safety as I have seen some generic holsters do. I even use the Galco Fletch for outside carry concealed as well, depending on shirt length or if I'm wearing a jacket.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I have a non-Serpa Blackhawk, with the retention set as low as it will go (for IDPA), and I can't make it come out by accident. And I don't have to worry about getting gravel/crud locking it up, like the Serpa.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree that for OWB, I always use some kind of retention. For me, I have a leather scabbard holster with a thumb break. It works find for me. I am looking into getting a Blackhawk.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
My choice for OWB is a Serpa holster. Easy to index and use.

·
Registered
29,587 Posts
Look into a Bianchi Carrylock holster. Crud won't lock it up like a Serpa can (under certain condtions), and it looks a heck of a lot sharper (to me). And, the release is pretty darn foolproof as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
How dirty are these Serpas getting to "lock up?" I have a friend who carrys his Glock 21 in a serpa off duty and he has had his way longer than I have had mine. He also has not had a problem. His duty holster is one of those Safariland hosters.

Around my property I carry in my Serpa. But once I get my CCW, I want to carry IWB. Just pondering which I will decide on. Have got several great options thanks to this forum. Have gotten a lot of good advice and questions answered on here. Thanks everyone.;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts