Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A siphon hose.

Easy to fold up and carry, light weight.

Fuel and water shortages should be expected in SHTF. A siphon can help with both. A running vehicle is a big advantage in SHTF.

What's yours?

·
Registered
80 Posts
how about a bow for when your ammunition runs out and not just a survival bow a hunting bow, they last under xtream condition and arrows can be made and tips reused for hunting it is essintial when you have to conserve on ammo for defence.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
A zip lock bag full of bic lighters

Black trash bags.

Baby wipes

Nails

Chapstick

Socks

Soap

Baby elephant

Chicken intestines

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
reason and logic is missing from most.

·
Registered
768 Posts
A book.

I have my old copy of Clan of the Cave Bear and a pocket Constitution.

Worst case scenario I have some tender handy.

·
Registered
542 Posts
You can not siphon gas from modern cars, they have a flap inside the fuel tube that will block any hose from going into the tank. So scratch that one from your goodie bag!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
RADIOS!

I have looked at friends BOB's, and they're well stocked, but they have NOTHING with which to hear ANYONE in a given distance!

A simple Red Cross hand cranked solar jobber is better than guessing!

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
You can not siphon gas from modern cars, they have a flap inside the fuel tube that will block any hose from going into the tank. So scratch that one from your goodie bag!

there are ways to get fuel from them.

I would carry 2 shaker siphons. one for fuel and another for water.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Given the series of current events I want to start carrying pepper spray. and by pepper spray I mean my .40 cal.

Wonder what he means when he says ".40 cal"?:shock:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have some of the laminated wilderness guides for the area. Where I grew up I could tell you every plant, animal, and insect there is and know what is safe to eat. Here I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Sorry will not happen, the top of the fuel tube on some cars maybe plastic but it turns into steel way before the flap, good luck cutting that. I guess you guys are going to sit there cutting with a manual saw through the side of the fender. Yeah and also people are going to be bugging out with a 1990s or earlier car??? I have not seen to many Ford LTDs or AMC Gremlins running down the road. Good luck. Besides the smart guy that is in a pickle would have used a punch to pearce the plastic bladder around the tank then the tank itself. Cut the fuel line running along the frame may also help. I guess the point is gas pumps will be dry by the time you need to fill up..along with all the other cars on the road that ran out of gas waiting in backed up traffic.

Then a siphon for water??? Where would you need to do that???? Are you going to siphon water out of toilets. If you are, take a cup of bleach with you. 15 drops of bleach per gallon of water, let sit for 15 minutes, that will kill any bacteria and will make the water "safe" to drink bacteria wise.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would say the biggest thing missing is the actual "bug out bag" most have a pile of guns and knives and next to nothing else (and yes thats sacastic for thoses who can't tell).

·
Registered
59 Posts
latex/nitrile gloves ( included in most first aid kits, but extra are nice to have)
definitely a bunch of Bic lighters - if you have a vacuum sealer, individually packaged 'em
rubber bands - all shapes and sizes

·
Registered
19,685 Posts
latex/nitrile gloves ( included in most first aid kits, but extra are nice to have)
definitely a bunch of Bic lighters - if you have a vacuum sealer, individually packaged 'em
rubber bands - all shapes and sizes
great for cleaning game in cold weather.

I froze my hands pretty good one evening near the end of a chilly hunting season.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
Sorry will not happen, the top of the fuel tube on some cars maybe plastic but it turns into steel way before the flap, good luck cutting that. I guess you guys are going to sit there cutting with a manual saw through the side of the fender. Yeah and also people are going to be bugging out with a 1990s or earlier car??? I have not seen to many Ford LTDs or AMC Gremlins running down the road. Good luck. Besides the smart guy that is in a pickle would have used a punch to pearce the plastic bladder around the tank then the tank itself. Cut the fuel line running along the frame may also help. I guess the point is gas pumps will be dry by the time you need to fill up..along with all the other cars on the road that ran out of gas waiting in backed up traffic.

Then a siphon for water??? Where would you need to do that???? Are you going to siphon water out of toilets. If you are, take a cup of bleach with you. 15 drops of bleach per gallon of water, let sit for 15 minutes, that will kill any bacteria and will make the water "safe" to drink bacteria wise.
if the gas tank proves difficult, most cars are EFI. that means electric fuel pump. open a line (carefully because they hold pressure) give her some juice and she will bleed gas for you. first stage of the ignition switch will do it.

if you are collecting gas from it you don't need to care about keeping it pretty. smash the dash or column and get to wires behind the switch.

in theory it will work and shouldn't be overly complicated.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts