Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever overheated a pistol barrel by firing multiple shots?
If so, did it cause any damage and how did you know it was overheated, how many shots in what time frame?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by overheating in a pistol, but I can assure you, that you haven't done it and you wont be able to. Although you might be able to shoot it so much that the gun was too hot to hold, but even then the barrel wouldnt suffer any real damage, just a loss in accuracy due to swelling.

To overheat a barrel to where damage can occur, would require a full-auto belt feed machine gun, shooting hundreds of rounds non-stop. Which is why the old WWII machine guns had water surrounding the barrel or quickly replaceable barrels.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure what you mean by overheating in a pistol, but I can assure you, that you haven't done it and you wont be able to. ...
Thanks for your feedback MagicPie I think you are on target. Saw a reference to overheating a pistol in another forum and the guy did not reference that much shooting. Was wondering if some pistols were China Dolls. Was thinking you would likely need a pile of magazines to attempt extreme heating of a barrel.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
I believe it was Todd Jarret that did a 1,000 round test on a new Para 1911 .45. He fired all 1k rounds within about 10-12 minutes or something like that. No malfunctions, but the gun was so hot toward the end of the test he could barely hold it. It performed flawlessly and you can watch the video of it online, probably like Youtube or maybe Para's website.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I believe it was Todd Jarret that did a 1,000 round test on a new Para 1911 .45. He fired all 1k rounds within about 10-12 minutes or something like that. No malfunctions, but the gun was so hot toward the end of the test he could barely hold it. It performed flawlessly and you can watch the video of it online, probably like Youtube or maybe Para's website.
ther all so a guy that did it to a glock and the guide rod broke like around 850 i think but not sure but it keep shooting all 1000 rounds
u can look it up on u tube

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
It shouldn't overheat as long as you keep the coolant level up. You do check the coolant level don't you?

·
Registered
902 Posts
XD or any other well-made centerfire handgun: difficult.

M16 or AR15 in 5.56mm: More than 200rds as fast as you can dump the mags can kill the barrel. The 5.56mm runs at very high pressures and friction in a small bore so there is not enough surface area to get rid of the heat under certain conditions.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
It shouldn't overheat as long as you keep the coolant level up. You do check the coolant level don't you?
But sadly the blinker fluid frequently goes unnoticed for ages.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've fired a pistol so much that the barrel, slide, the polymer frame were so hot I burned myself. It took a long time to cool down (I didn't have water to pour on it). It didn't do any damage to the pistol, though, only to me.

·
Registered
902 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I almost forgot to check that in my regular service of my pistol. I checked and yup, needed to be topped off.

I also found my night sights were a little dim and topped off the sight reservoir too. Thanks! ;)

NVXDRanger

1 - 15 of 15 Posts