Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i cleaned my gun and im pretty sure i over-lubed it. its been seeping out for about a day and despite some wiping its still coming out. any tricks to dry it out a little bit or draw out some of the excess? im not super concerned about it but i dont want the excess lube running down my leg when im carrying or getting all kinds of powder and crap stuck in it when i shoot next.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Pull the pistol apart and wipe it off.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i did rewipe it first and saw a little was still coming out. i suppose it could be normal but ill give it another wipe down. didn't know if there was anything i could be doing but wasnt thinking of.

·
Premium Member
127,697 Posts
Did you disassemble it when you cleaned and lubed it? I certainly hope so. When you say a little is seeping out...from where?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I'd just pull it apart, run a patch or two down the barrel. Grab some Qtips, wipe off all the extra lube in all the nooks and wipe off the outside of the barrel with a cloth and the inside of the slide. And if you lubed the striker guide area, Qtip that dry too. Over lubing a gun makes it collect a TON of dust, lent or anything else small like that. It's not normal to have that much lube, you shouldn't be wiping it down after you clean it. All you really need to lube is where the frame and slide meet and my opinion on that is grab a Qtip, dampen it with a little bit of lube and hit the areas the silde and frame meet. Only use a drop of lube for all of that. MAYBE a touch on the feed ramp. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
to answer a few ?s...

its my xdsc
i used hoppes lube
yes i disassembled it, i had just cleaned it
its seeping from random areas under the slide, id be more specific but its not in front of me at the moment.

basically from what I've gathered i think i just used far too much lube. ill take it all apart later and clean it up. i knew the "you can never use too much lube" idea doesn't apply to guns but i figured i still may have went overboard on the application. the canned air seems like a good idea if the qtips don't work. i know over lubing can atract all kinds of crap so i wanted to check w everyone else before firing it and getting it all gunked up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
to answer a few ?s...

its my xdsc
i used hoppes lube
yes i disassembled it, i had just cleaned it
its seeping from random areas under the slide, id be more specific but its not in front of me at the moment.

basically from what I've gathered i think i just used far too much lube. ill take it all apart later and clean it up. i knew the "you can never use too much lube" idea doesn't apply to guns but i figured i still may have went overboard on the application. the canned air seems like a good idea if the qtips don't work. i know over lubing can atract all kinds of crap so i wanted to check w everyone else before firing it and getting it all gunked up.
What is this persistent myth about "over-lubing" a gun? Are you carrying the thing across the vast Namib in a 3-month safari? "Collect all kinds of junk," yeah maybe if you throw it into a sand pit 15 times.

AMAZING how these myths persevere. As long as there aren't gobs of grease obstructing the barrel, the gun should be fine. Just shoot it a few times and clean it - nothing you can do short of deliberate abuse will cause that handgun to jam.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
What is this persistent myth about "over-lubing" a gun? Are you carrying the thing across the vast Namib in a 3-month safari? "Collect all kinds of junk," yeah maybe if you throw it into a sand pit 15 times.

AMAZING how these myths persevere. As long as there aren't gobs of grease obstructing the barrel, the gun should be fine. Just shoot it a few times and clean it - nothing you can do short of deliberate abuse will cause that handgun to jam.
I rather have a properly lubed gun that doesn't collect crap. No one said anything about the gun not firing. A gun with too much lube is, unsightly, messy and a waste. And you don't have to travel to the desert to get a gun dirty. With too much lube, it WILL collect "junk". Just like anything else in this world that's moist. Its no myth, its common sense.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
I stopped useing "gun oil" about 6 months ago, and went with Tetra Gun Grease. Much more silky and doesn't run off. ;)

·
Registered
2,806 Posts

It will operate just fine, thats true... but for how long is the question... I figured out that less oil is better on my M&P 15-22, after it started having extraction/feeding problems from the carbon blowback turning the oil to gum. I had to field strip it and wipe it down mid-session at the range, of course .22 ammo is much dirtier than others, but it proves that too much oil can cause problems.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I stopped useing "gun oil" about 6 months ago, and went with Tetra Gun Grease. Much more silky and doesn't run off. ;)
I've always used oil...Going to have to give the grease thing a try, it makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I've always used oil...Going to have to give the grease thing a try, it makes a lot of sense.
I use a very thin coat of white lithium instead of oil on contact points... lightweight motor oil for everything else, its not as thin and runny as most gun oil.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts