Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As if I havent peppered these boards with enough noob ar questions, I have one more. Brush cleaning... I shoot about 70 rounds a session. I clean my pieces thoroughly after every session; 10 rounds or 200, doesnt matter.
Is there such thing as running the nylon brushes through the barrel too many times? When running solvent soaked patches through, they will eventually come out clean, but the second I run the brushes through, the soaked patches that follow come out with almost a blue residue. I did this cycle about three times, passing the brush through many times, 20+, maybe more. Is this bad for the barrel? I always follow the brush with soaked patches which come clean after about 6 patches, but the second I run the brush through again, out come dirty, sometimes blue patches. Seems to never end! But, again, does over brushing damage anything at all?
I appreciate the knowledge and advice I get from you guys which is why I bring my questions!

·
Registered
838 Posts
No, nylon or copper or bronze brushes are softer than the steel you are cleaning. Although I have read that very caustic solvents may do some harm, I have never seen evidence of it. If you use CLP or Hoppes or other common solvents, I can't see any problem.

what can harm a bbl. is a steel cleaning rod coming into contact with the chamber at a bad angle. For that reason most people concerned with accuracy use bore guides to center the rods. Even that, with aluminum of coated rods would be a rare damage.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats good to know.. So I shouldnt be concerned about the blue colored residue I get after using the brush? Im using a basic hoppes rifle kit I got at dicks. Says its alluminum rod with nylon brushes, however the bristles resemble copper or brass.

Btw, very pleased with my doublestar product. Noticeably less recoil with my hbar barrel, which isnt much heavier than other ARs ive handled. Never understand why everyone bashes hbars.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'd question the composition of the materials in your brush. I sounds to me like you're seeing subsequent deposits left by your brush.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'd question the composition of the materials in your brush. I sounds to me like you're seeing subsequent deposits left by your brush.
Exactly my thoughts too. If you are using a copper removing solvent, getting a clean patch, then running a copper brush back through the barrel you are getting copper from your brush...not from your barrel. The solvent to remove copper from the bore will also remove copper from your brush...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thats good to know.. So I shouldnt be concerned about the blue colored residue I get after using the brush? Im using a basic hoppes rifle kit I got at dicks. Says its alluminum rod with nylon brushes, however the bristles resemble copper or brass.

Btw, very pleased with my doublestar product. Noticeably less recoil with my hbar barrel, which isnt much heavier than other ARs ive handled. Never understand why everyone bashes hbars.
What color is the Hoppes label? Blue residue sounds like copper in a solvent. The nylon brushes I've seen have been black, white, or blue bristled and look nothing like copper or brass.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What color is the Hoppes label? Blue residue sounds like copper in a solvent. The nylon brushes I've seen have been black, white, or blue bristled and look nothing like copper or brass.
The bristles are a gold color.. The Hoppes label is orange I want to say (im not there to check). Now that I think about it, the nylon is the toothbrush looking thing, somaybe the brushes are a metal.. Does that change the chance of over cleaning doing damage?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Maybe I'm just lazy, but 3 or 4 passes with a boresnake works just fine. Spray some CLP down in there let it sit for a minute. A little on the front of the snake and a little on the tail. Done deal.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The bristles are a gold color.. The Hoppes label is orange I want to say (im not there to check). Now that I think about it, the nylon is the toothbrush looking thing, somaybe the brushes are a metal.. Does that change the chance of over cleaning doing damage?
The copper that the brushes are made of will not harm your barrel. The barrel is much harder than the material that the brush is made of. The traces of blue that you are seeing on the patches or brush after you get clean patches out of your gun is most likely from your brush. The sovent that removes the copper from the bore will also "eat" the copper from your brush and thus leave the distinct blue color on your patch as well even if the barrel is clean. The only brushes that will not do this that I have seen are stainless steel or nylon...myself I stick with the copper and just replace them every so often knowing that the copper solvent does "eat" the brushes as well over a period of time. If you are running a patch down the barrel wrapped on the brush with the solvent you will be getting copper from both sources...the brush and the copper in the bore...I usually make a pass or two with the brush then a pass or two with my bore snake, then a couple patches and it is all clean. I use the patch as my tool to tell me if I got it all pretty in there! :D

Long story short, you should have no damage in your barrel from using copper brushes...as already said, be aware of your cleaning rod tho as it can and will scratch your barrel in some cases...:shock:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I clean my pieces thoroughly after every session; 10 rounds or 200, doesnt matter.
Is there such thing as running the nylon brushes through the barrel too many times? , does over brushing damage anything at all?
More barrels are ruined by OVER cleaning than by shooting them. IF you use a Bore Guide the nylon brushes will not cause extra wear. In the past Copper cleaners were not worth road apples so we scoured our barrels with a bronze brush to "scrape" the copper out.
Today there is a product call KG12 that eats copper like no other and has no harmful chemicals like ammonia - is water based and does not require "SCRUBBING" the barrel.
This is just one site I just Google'd about KG Products.
KG KG-12 Big Bore Cleaning Solvent 4 oz - MidwayUSA
Please Google KG12 and other KG products and read up.

I use the right chemical products to remove the Carbon, Lead, and Copper from my barrels and only put a couple passes thru with a nylon brush with my bore guide in place.

I just shot 171 rounds thru my chrome lined barrel - did I clean it -- Hell no and won't till I put another 200 rounds thru it at least.
Bottom line:
Many people over clean their barrels (IMHO)
Use the right products

1 - 10 of 10 Posts