Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in small town Vernonia, OR. Population approx. 2500. I like to think of we're 'old school,' that is, most of us have (and many carry) weapons, the question is not IF you have a gun at home, but how many, and most would prefer to handle things ourselves than to call LEO over a dispute.

This weekend, however is Jamboree, where the whole town becomes a giant street fair for the weekend with events, vendors, and LOTS of tourists come to gawk and oggle in amusement at us simple redneck folk.

K, now to the point :rolleyes:: I'm sittin here at our local coffee shop (only place I can get free internet) with my wife and baby. Went outside for a smoke and to watch the easy sunday crowd. Police Sgt. rolls up across the street and parks. I pay him no mind, I'm a good boy ya see... But he comes walking up--almost uncomfortably close to me--and says "Good morning sir, I'm Sgt. 'John' with the Vernonia PD." I say "Yeah, I know you, how ya doin?" At this point I noticed another officer (the new guy, no badge or gun yet,) standing at my 5:00, also very close.

"We've had reports of a man walkin around in camo pants carrying a firearm." While that could be anyone in this town, it just so happens to be me this morning. I told him I'm licensed, he asked if I'm armed, I said "yes, 4:30 IWB." He asked if I had a permit. I again told him "yes, I'm licensed. Would you like to see it?" He said he would, so I very slowly put down my coffee and reached for my wallet (opposite my carry position;),) and produced my CHL and DL.

Long story short (a bit late for that?) he ran my ID, which of course came up clear, I asked if I was printing, half joking but also a bit baffled by the report, as this has never happened to me before. He chuckled, gave back my ID's, and with a wink said "Have a nice day, just keep it covered up..."

Whew! Although I know I had nothing to worry about, was a bit of a nerve racking experience, and I gotta admit I felt a bit violated, being outed like that. I know he's just doing his job, looking out for the scared sheeple, but in this world where we're expected to tolerate and accept all differences and cultures, no matter how wrong we believe them to be, how come people are so quick to point and scream "bad guy!" at the guy in camo pants. Still don't know how my firearm was discovered, as I always dress my 145 lb, 5'9 frame in XL t shirts and baggy pants, with a large hoody today.... Oh well. I'm back inside, un-harassed, tellin you all this long-ass story, so I guess all's well that ends well. Thanks for reading, feel free to comment or share your stories.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
They where just doing their sworn duty, keeping an eye on a possible terrorist. Maybe you should try wearing a turban and robe, then they wouldn't HAVE to profile the obvious BG's. At least you were not handcuffed and threatened with death.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds like a homey kind of town, neighbors looking out for other neighbors. If it was going to go down, I think they handled it very well. Sounds like they were direct and to the point and it went very smooth. There is a lot of spooky SH*T going on out there these days, especially at larger events. I think you did a great job, no confrontation, just doing your part as a CCW and protecting your sheep. I like to see things go down like this, quick, honest and to the point without anyone trying to pump out there chest and be Mr. Macho. You handled it very well.:p

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sounds like a homey kind of town, neighbors looking out for other neighbors. If it was going to go down, I think they handled it very well. Sounds like they were direct and to the point and it went very smooth. There is a lot of spooky SH*T going on out there these days, especially at larger events. I think you did a great job, no confrontation, just doing your part as a CCW and protecting your sheep. I like to see things go down like this, quick, honest and to the point without anyone trying to pump out there chest and be Mr. Macho. You handled it very well.:p
+1 Sounds like a positive experience.

·
Registered
460 Posts
well when you have crazy racists trying to blow up parades in the state to the north and you have the village idiots giving us country bumpkins to the east a bad name and of course you have the uptight paranoid state to the south... you cant really blame the Popos keeping an eye out. sounds like they were at least professional about it. some of the state ******* I've dealt with would have been less that cordial. it could have gone much worse, plus you never know what's going through a tourists head when they're in a "strange and alien place" and they see a guy wearing camo and a hoodie walk into the local starbucks

·
Premium Member
127,168 Posts
It sounds like the situation was handled professionally on both sides.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Nice small town Vernonia is. I have lots of family that lives there and plan to myself at some point. L.E. There dosent bother me when I'm there. Sounds like a positive encounter to me. Also jamboree is a great time

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Agreed, as much as we CCW holders don't like to be outed....abviously someone saw your gun.

The cops seemed to handle it well as did you.

I have been puleed over a few times while CCW'ing, mostly just have to show my permit, a few times I was disarmed while they ran my info.

Legally, (assuming OR is the same SOP as Nebraska) they have the option to cuff you and dissarm you while they checked your info, so IMHO, it could have been a lot worse.

Glad it all worked out in the end........

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the responses! Ya, I suppose all things considered it was a pretty positive experience. Perfect case of no harm, no foul. Just kinda burnt and a bit confused at the call. Never been spotted before... Guess I get a little complacent with the home town vibe and don't worry so much here if anyone knows I'm carrying...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sounds like you had a decent experience with the cop...he was just doing his job. When they get a call they have to investigate just to be sure, even though you weren't doing anything wrong.

Side note: I never thought about switching my wallet to my non carrying side...I have to do that.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
If you were in Ohio, it would have gone down differently lol.

·
Registered
19,694 Posts
Am I the only one annoyed that they'd bother to send out a cop and a half to check on someone who likely is not breaking a law?

they don't pull over every car on the streets to make sure the DL and registration are all valid do they?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Sounds like you had an experienced LEO as well and not one of those gung-ho kids fresh out of the academy who has to prove nobody else is going to beat him up like they did in high school. Those type of young cops drive me bananas.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If you were in Ohio, it would have gone down differently lol.
LOL. Funny but a completely untrue statement. Don't let one stupid cop ruin your view of a state that is slowly becoming very CHL friendly.

·
Registered
540 Posts
LOL. Funny but a completely untrue statement. Don't let one stupid cop ruin your view of a state that is slowly becoming very CHL friendly.
True dat. I've had two cop encounters in the year I've been packing. The first one, I called them (city cop), just recently was pulled over (State Trooper) - both were very positive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts