Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at the Kahr40 and XD40 for carry (CCW) and chose the XD40 yesterday.
Salesman opened up the new box and it came with an extended 12 mag clip even.
Took it home, disassembled and cleaned and grabbed 200 rounds of previous loaded 180grhp's for my SW4006 which were 1050fps from the 4006.

Went to the NG range with standup targets and the old 3" 6" swinging pepper popper.
Set the targets at 7 to 10 yards at a 180deg arc and loaded 3 mags.
My first 9 shots were slow and for getting used to trigger and sights at a 5" circle on one of the targets placed for initial test.

Reloaded (1in the tube) and double tapped each target ejecting and inserting clips until all 29 shots were completed. Reloaded all clips and ran through 3 cycles. Measured the holes and discounting a couple flyers from poor form, averaged 2", mostly in a vertical pattern.

Set the 6" pepper popper at 45-50 yards and engaged 3 rounds move and cover, prone, etc and had a 50% hit ratio.

Problems. Only one. Most of the double stack clips are hard to get the last round in and it's no different with the XD clips, especially the 12 round.
Inserted the 12 rounder and had a first round feed failure at the beginning of the the 3rd cycle. Round stuck at the ramp. so I dumped the clip, opened slide and let the round fall out, reloaded it and had no problem.
Now, I believe that was operator error in not getting that last round in the clip right and not banging it once loaded.

Bottom line. Discounting the round not chambering, and not having gone through the recommended 200 round break-in, I felt confident that the system proved itself as a reliable self defense carry weapon.

Velocity check with the 180grhp, at 5 feet avg 947fps SD=10.29
Primers/pressure. The primers were nice and round, displaying a normal manufacture load. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Missed Buy-A-Gun day by one day... on Saturday I also checked out the Kahr, the Glock and the SA... looking for the new CCW candidate. While I had shot the Kahr's and Glock's prior, this was the first chance at the XD-40 SC.
I have larger hands, or longer fingers, whatever, so the Glock and XD feel better and point better that the Kahr, but that slim Kahr would just disappear when palmed, slipped into a pocket or in a CCW carry rig.

The XD-40 SC just naturally came up on target every time, whether eyes open or closed (natural point of aim). The Kahr pretty much would as I got used to it, and I already "point" the Glock as I am used to shooting them. The rental Kahr and rental XD went out on the range with me.

At 6'2" and 215, the recoil and flip on the .40 in these smaller packages was very managable. The XD was just more pleasant and well behaved all around, again the grip filling my hand more naturally. The Kahr put everything right where I wanted, having shot it before I had expected such. The first hello round from the XD a bit high and left. The next few low and left. The last round in the clip of 5 went solidly where it should.

Properly introduced, I did some more point drills (NPOA) and learned I do not need to horse this little handful, just let it go natural like a 1911. Next few clips (5 each) all solidly on target, and I could call my fliers. Liking this pistol a LOT after only 20 rounds. Back and forth between the Kahr and XD-40 SC it became clear I could go either way, but the XD just "felt" right every time. Yup, found my next pistol.

Turned in the rentals and said my "I Do's" on a spankin' new XD-40 in size SC. Back out to the range and durn'd if the first 5 rounds didn't do the same thing as on the rental! First hello was high and left, next three low left and #5 right on the button.

Broke out the Blazers for "cheap" break in shooting. Set up all three mags (2 10's and the high cap 12) that came with the purchase, and over the next 150 rounds I had 4 failure to feeds... and I could not blame the last 2 on limp wristing. I wasn't paying close attention but the FTF were from the 10-round mags and possibly just one of them. The FTF came on the last or 2cd to last rounds in the mag. The standard clearance drill would not dislodge any of the 4 FTF's. Had to work each one out. Nice little half-moon nicks in the cheap Blazer casings. I have that mag marked now so will keep an eye on it. I then ran a number of "carry" rounds through (from Glasers to various HP's) and everything fed cleanly through every mag even when limp wristing. Again, everything went pretty much where it should and I could call most of the fliers... not bad for a break in session!

The hands felt better than expected after a session shooting a hot cartidge through a small pistol... loving the SC even more at this point. I shoot my CCW a lot, so this will be a nice bennie of the SC.

Spent a few minutes shooting the carry ammo out of the other pistols, packed it in and headed home with the new purchase snugly in it's pretty box. As I have heard rumors of quick rusting on the XD's, I held off cleaning until Sunday night... in the meantime testing the XD in the Smartcarry (perfect fit) and the new injection mold holster that came with. Also did more dry fire exercises and point drills. Sunday evening it was time to clean... yup, a very light "dusting" of rust on the slide (so soon!) It field stripped and cleaned up quickly (already had everything for .40) then spent time inspecting everything on this pistol and the mags. Nothing obvious that could have contributed to the FTF's the previous day, so packed up everything in anticipation of the next range trip to continue the break in and familiarity period.
HC - a very happy new XD owner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Couple of days ago I hit the range again to continue the break in and familiarity drills with the new SC. I brought along more CCI Blazers, some Federal, Winchester and Remington's in various configurations, also picked up some Magtech JHP's from the range. This trip had not a single Failure To Feed from any brand of ammo through any magazine. I even did some staggering of rounds from the various brands I had with me, mixing JHPs with FMJs to simulate my typical carry configurations (usually Glasers on top backed up by the JHP du jour). The FTF's from Saturday's first outing I'll chalk up to brand new mags and that the brand new gun needed some exercise first (and a good cleaning and lube).

Accuracy is very nice, though I have some practice ahead of me to get the finger/trigger matchup dialed in... kept everything in the black, even the fliers didn't fly too far (my trigger work or grip).

Well over the 500 round mark now and after another good cleaning, lube and inspection (no rust at all visible under high magnification and lighting) I setup the SC in my large Smartcarry using saftey pins to proper position it. [Note: a new medium size Smartcarry is now on order, the large is three years old, in great shape still but I want to keep the carry gear as closely matched as possible.] So much easier to conceal the XD than the full sized pistols of course, and after some draw from concealed drills I felt confident enough to carry the XD for the next several days at work, play and home. I should have done this years ago!

Both the SC with a 10 round mag and the 12 rounder in the spare slot were a dream to CCW. My wife thinks the whole package is still too heavy, but I am used to carrying a full sized pistol so the weight (carried by my hips in the Smartcarry) is unoticeable. Moving, sitting, etc. with no problems or "adjustments" needed. Draw drills each night, even in the vehicle (practicing while in the garage), the SC is easy to present and reholster. No more mouse gun ["Got BUG?"] for church carry or shorts-and-T grass cutting... this SC can and will go with me anywhere and everywhere common sense and the law permit. :D
HC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts