Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! So I got my XDS on V day and though I haven't taken it to the range yet I've been trying to break it in as much as possible, racking the slide, popping the mag in and out, and especially, racking the slide 7 times with a full mag in so that the bullets can cycle. When doing this I've noticed the slide doesn't always go completely forward, it stops just short. I'm hoping this will go away? Have any of you experienced this?

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Small gun needs the power of firing a round to go into battery completely. Especially a new gun. I wouldn't worry about it with live firing. It'll be fine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What your doing will not help break it in. Take it apart solvent clean it. Puta light coat of oil on the friction points. get a few hundred FMJ rounds and go shooting.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Spud, what caliber XDs did you get? I agree that you need to put 100 rounds down range before you become concerned about the FTRTB.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Quit playing with it & go shoot it. 8)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think your XDS is fine, (great gun, BTW). Be sure when you grip the gun, you are not touching the slide, in any way, and when racking a round, the slide is going to need all the travel and speed it can get, not a problem when shooting as it will have plenty on its own.
About racking live rounds, only when the gun is pointed at the target or very safe direction, and, you may already know, that if you chamber the same round over and over, you could get "bullet set back" which could give you a real treat (in a bad way" when you fire that round.
Again, I think all will be fine when you are at the range. Good Luck

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
You're probably riding the slide.

Compacts especially will be more prone to not fully go into battery that way.

And stop doing that before someone gets their dick shot off.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Slam fire. A gun can and will go off when your least expecting it from a slam fire. Dropping the slide on a live round. One guy had this happen with his semi auto. The firing pin was stuck outside of the slide. Gun went off twice rapidly. Not a good day for him.

The XDS, Kahr pistols, Glocks 42 & 43 all need to be slingshot with the full force all the way from the furthest back, or the slide release MUST be used when chambering a round. Trust me I work in a gun range part time as a range safety officer. Do not baby the gun when loading your first round.

My Kahr CM9 was pretty tight for 200 rounds. After 500 rounds it seems to accept slingshoting just fine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Slam fire. A gun can and will go off when your least expecting it from a slam fire. Dropping the slide on a live round. One guy had this happen with his semi auto. The firing pin was stuck outside of the slide. Gun went off twice rapidly. Not a good day for him.
Another good reason to chamber over a bucket of sand when indoors.

·
Registered
29,595 Posts
Another good reason to chamber over a bucket of sand when indoors.
Which is not always readily available. So at the least be sure the firearm is pointed in a safe direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also, a good example of why one should charge their pistol with a "charger mag"-- that is, a magazine with only one round loaded.

Because one slamfire could easily be two...or an entire magazine.

And speaking as someone who had a pistol go cyclic on him, the critters shoot right fast (iirc, most pistols have a cyclic rate somewhere around 900-1000 rpm).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Also, a good example of why one should charge their pistol with a "charger mag"-- that is, a magazine with only one round loaded.

And speaking as someone who had a pistol go cyclic on him, the critters shoot right fast (iirc, most pistols have a cyclic rate somewhere around 900-1000 rpm).
That sounds downright sporty...and not in a good way.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts

Excellent point.
I will have to start doing this. I have always loaded mag and chambered first rd then remove and add +1. However this seems to be a much better way. Never thought of it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts