Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Thanks for all the great info. I searched many forums for months deciding on which gun to buy. XD people seemed to be the most helpful to other XD members. Plus you guys are huge fans of the XD's without being snobs about it. So I got my XDm 9 and want a decent kit to clean it with. The Otis systems look nice and seem to come with everything needed. Anybody use one or have other suggestions. Thanks again for helping me make the decision to buy an XD and I' proud to be a part of the XD Talk forum!!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
the Otis kits are nice but i dont like their AP brush, the bristles are too fat and it sucks using a metal rod for a handle

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I love how portable my little Otis kit is and I have yet to buy a gun it can't clean.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I bought an Otis kit a few years ago just to get me by until I could get something better. I still haven't bought anything to replace it. I clean every gun I have with it from my .22 up to my .45. My only complaint is that I sometimes have to load it up with 3 or 4 patches at once to get any king of meaningful contact with the bore of my .45.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I love the otis cleaning system because it protects my barrel from contact with metal rods and such. No danger of scratching my sweet chrome chambers. Brushes ain't too big when ya use them with the provided coated cables.
Ya really need a few patches for the .45 but who's stopin ya from using average cotton patches with a little cut from a pair of scissors

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm pretty new to guns, and right now I only have a bottle of Hoppes #9, a large bag of square patches, a cleaning rod w/ end for patches, silicone cloth, and a bottle of CLP. This afternoon I purchased a new Otis Tactical kit from eBay for $49.50 shipped USPS priority insured. This will be my first "quality" cleaning kit. Is there anything else that is recommended?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'm pretty new to guns, and right now I only have a bottle of Hoppes #9, a large bag of square patches, a cleaning rod w/ end for patches, silicone cloth, and a bottle of CLP. This afternoon I purchased a new Otis Tactical kit from eBay for $49.50 shipped USPS priority insured. This will be my first "quality" cleaning kit. Is there anything else that is recommended?
You will love your new otis kit
It cleanes every thing! I still don't leave CLP out of my cleaning regiment though. I use it last to all instructions.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
I have used the Otis Technologies cleaning system for all my guns for some time now and really like it. One kit will clean all my weapons from my .17 to my 12 ga. to my 50 cal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very happy with mine. I use CLP in place of their bore cleaner but I really like the kit. Would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congrats on the XD purchase! I am a NOOB also just picked up my XDM 40 Sunday so I know the feeling. I am going to look into the Otis Cleaning System also but bought a cheap one in a wooden case at wal-mart for now. Getting ready to post a thread to find out the proper way to use it......Welcome to the forum from MD!

·
Registered
8 Posts

I would also reccomend a set of dental style picks for cleaning the crevices, sometimes your dentist will save the old ones for you if you ask or Midway USA sells a plastic set for about $4. Once you use em you'll wonder hoe you cleaned your guns without em.:!:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts