Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was always under the impression that the "original" 1911 designed by John Browning had an internal extractor. There is huge debate on the internet over the internal vs. external extractor on a 1911 pistol. These discussions ultimately end up with somebody saying that John Browning designed the 1911 with an internal extractor.

From what I gathered, that appeared to be the accepted belief of original 1911 extractor design. However, I was watching a dated History channel documentary about semi-automatic pistols, and among other things, one of the big wigs at the Colt factory shows one of John Brownings "original" 1911 prototypes. One of two made. I was very surprised to see that it had cut into the right side of the slide, what appeared to be an external extractor.

Now I may be mistaken, but it sure looks like an external extractor to me. If it is not an external, someone please correct me. I have searched far and wide on the information superhighway and can't find any other evidence that the original design was external. I can't even find a picture of the pistol the Colt guy shows in the video. Here is a link to the documentary:

The pistol in question is shown at about 25:30, and it gives a real good close up of the right side. What do you guys think? :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Jeez, intelligent handguns. Imagine when we find the frequency and jam it. The police are now disarmed at our pleasure, but we're not at theirs. That is so retarded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts