Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to go ahead and order my kit in the morning. I'm going with the kit from Del-Ton. I'm either going to get the 16" mid-length flattop or the 20" flattop rifle. I haven't made up my mind yet. I'll sleep on it tonight and decide in the morning. I already have a LPK so I can save a few bucks there. I can get the kit cheaper than buying a complete upper and a buttstock. I guess my final decision will be based on what they have in stock. I mainly want a general purpose weapon for now. Something to take to the lease and plug a pig or a coyote with, use for home defense and maybe try some 3 gun action eventually.

Help me decide guys.:D

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have both, and personally I'd go with the 20" rifle, but I know I'm in the minority. Most people will tell you to go with the midlength, and it's a good choice, too. If I were to buy another carbine, it would be a midlength. I think for your uses, the rifle would suit you just fine, and it squeezes a little more velocity out of the 5.56mm/.223 round. It really just comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If all I was going to use the rifle for was the range, I'd go for the 20 inch...if I thought I was going to be carrying it around the woods or hiking up a ridge with it, I'd go for the 16...the extra 4" isn't going to kill you in the woods, but it'll definitely help if you've only there for target shooting.

We used to joke that we could reach out and poke the targets down with the M16 barrel, while we actually had to aim with the M4 when qualifying in the Army.

Good thing about the AR platform is you can change the uppers out on a whim...if you're willing to buy them all first. Hope that helps with your decision.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I think that both the 16" and the 20" barreled uppers that you are considering will serve you well for the purposes you posted. That said, I would go for the 16" mid-length upper for several reasons: 1) losing 4" of barrel will make the rifle MUCH easier to more around inside your house for home protection; 2) losing that same 4" will make the rifle a little lighter and easier to move around in the woods; and 3) within 250-300 yards, you won't lose too much in terms of accuracy or velocity between the two barrels, although the 20" would have somewhat of an advantage.

My favorite AR is a heavy-bbl, 16" mid-length with an ACOG that I refer to as my Designated Marksman M4 (DMM4). It will shoot ragged one-hole groups at 100 yards all day and ring steel plates at 600 as fast as I can shoot them. Don't be scared of the 16" for fear that it will loose too much velocity or accuracy. It is there if you do your part.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I got a 16" middy, wish I had gone with the 20" rifle ;)

·
Registered
367 Posts
+1 on Del-Ton.

I have a 16" M4gery rifle kit from them. I saved quite a bit by going with their complete rifle kit, saved 30$ on MagPul CTR, over 30$ on YHM handguard 4rail ff, sorta saved on gas block flipfront sight... I knew I didnt want fixed front sight but I couldnt really decide on going lowprofile gasblock and getting a longer handguard then mounting the flip front sight. so technically I saved close to 30$ on yhm gasblock FlipFront sight.

they were very helpfull and saved me money in long term by ordering up front rather than adding on later.

they also called me within 10 minutes to inform me of the 1 item that was backordered, which was the mid-length barrel so they switched it to a M4 and got the ball rolling.

·
Registered
713 Posts
My brand spankin' new Del-Ton mid-length flat top:

Fit and finish is great. I emailed back and forth with Del-Ton a few times prior to the sale. They were always prompt to reply.

I, too, considered a 20". Maybe next time.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
My Del-ton 16" midlength should be in tomorrow afternoon. :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
My Del-ton 16" midlength should be in tomorrow afternoon. :)
bet the UPS guy makes you the last stop of his route... ;)

I had my kit sent to my office for 2 reasons:

1. I know our UPS guy is always here at 10am and 1pm, my shipment came in the 1pm delivery. also 1 day early!

B. less hassle from my wife, even if I just receive a magnet from our insurance company but it comes in a brown box my wife throws a fit about not receiving big items in the mail... my account says different though.

btw, to the OP: before you order from Del-Ton you might just give them a call to verify that what you want is in. for me it wasn't a problem cause there was only 1 thing that was backordered. and it was big enough for me to already have my 2nd choice. mid-length became M4 without much thought. you wouldnt want them to call you after you made your decision only to find that half of your choices are backordered.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Don't own an AR and am new to the whole thing, but would like to build my first one. Quick question and don't want to steal the post...with these Del-Ton kits I would only need to purchase a stripped lower in addition to the kit correct? Thanks!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Don't own an AR and am new to the whole thing, but would like to build my first one. Quick question and don't want to steal the post...with these Del-Ton kits I would only need to purchase a stripped lower in addition to the kit correct? Thanks!
that is correct, thread thief! :D

the del-ton complete rifle kits come with everything you need except striped lower, including lower parts kit.

·
Registered
184 Posts
that is correct, thread thief! :D

the del-ton complete rifle kits come with everything you need except striped lower, including lower parts kit.
Thanks for allowing me to momentarily hijack this thread and for helping out an AR newbie!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Thanks for allowing me to momentarily hijack this thread and for helping out an AR newbie!
forgot to add this to my previous post.

if you are going to order your lower receiver, as opposed to buying in a store or gun show, AIM Superior Arms S-15 AR15 .223/5.56 Lower Receiver Superior Arms S-15 AR15 .223/5.56 Lower Receiver

has them for 80$ pre FFL fees and shipping. but you are gonna get hit with both no matter who you order from online. In store you won't have that problem, just tax.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts