Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called a local shop and placed an order I paid $859 (cant remember if that included tax) for my first one. This one is $895. Not bad considering the time I think. I figure since its going to take 2 months or so to get I might as well stock up on mags, ammo, and a holo sight.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plain Jane Model 1 same as in my avatar. I do want one I can turn tacticool but I have a few other guns I want to buy before I start a project. I love Stags. I should have never sold my first one but it was for a good cause. :lol:

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lazarus, did you get a "NJ LEGAL" Version? Also, where did you go?
Yep. Its the only one you can get in NJ. It comes with a 10 round mag that doesnt go pass the mag well, non-adjustable stock and the flash hider, which isnt really a flash hider is NJ legal as well.

I got it from Shore Shot down in Lakewood since Auto Parts of Woodbridge dont sell guns anymore. I called Bullethole but they dont stock Stags and seemed like they didnt want to get me a price.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Damn, I was at shore shot today too!

That Colt he had there looked pretty good, but I don't have $1700.

I didn't know there was more than one version of the Model 1. All the pictures I saw online come with a bayonet lug and the collapsible stock.

I found that Carter Drugs in Matawan has an FFL License. The pharmacist is really nice and only charges $20 markup on anything he can order.

And he does transfers for $20 plus nics, but he charges Tax on the cost of the gun. Idk why.. I got my new gun from him, and it ended up being cheaper to do it through him.

Carter Drugs
4 Cliffwood Ave
Matawan, NJ 07747

(732) 566-8300‎

If you decided to use him, I would call him first, he's not always there.

I think the Bullet Hole is the new Rays.

Speaking of which, I went there last night.. and not an AR in sight. He's actually going out this time. Just a few overpriced shotguns, some muzzle loaders and a few used S+W left.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I dont know if it still says on Stag's site but they have a NJ version and list the details.

Oh snap I forgot Carter's drugs has a FFL. I'll have to use them as I'm only 7 mins away.

Who is going out? Rays or Bullethole?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ray's is closing. The car dealership is going to, or has bought the land already. Store/range will be bull dozed.

I meant that the bullet hole will become the new standard for high prices and ****ty service.

I guess we have a glisten of hope when Cabela's actually opens up, but I'm willing to put a few bucks on it that they are libtarded into NOT selling guns and ammo.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
I see some FFLs around here charge sales tax plus the transfer fees and such, but I assume they can only charge me sales tax if they order the gun for me. I'm just going to be purchasing it direct from Stag. I'm going to Gander Mountain today (closest FFL dealer) to do the necessary work involved. I called and asked them about fees and they just raised their transfer fees up to $75!

Matt

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
My FFL charges $10. Do your best not to support places that charge high transfer fees and jack up their prices when the demand increases.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I would never pay more than $25 for a transfer. They aren't doing **** to deserve anything more than that.

·
Registered
725 Posts
"Standard" around here is $40 plus $15 for Nics, so this guy at the Drug Store doing it for $20 plus the $15 for nics can actually be a deal even if he does charge tax

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've never had a problem with the Bullethole, in fact I brought my XD from them cheaper than anywhere else. I do think their used gun prices are a bit high.Is that Cabelas ever going to open? It should have been opened by now. Btw I think theres another guy in Freehold that charges like 20-25 for a transfer and I don't think he charges tax on the gun. What's the name of the guy at Carters?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I like the Rock River Arms brand, but bought my first Stag Arms today at a local gun show. I got there just after opening on the first day of the show and the line was already 5 blocks long, wrapping around the parking lot. People in my area are in a gun buying panic. This gun show is usually 75% antique stuff, and I was just going to pick up a second AR front sight tool, since I am convinced I will lose my first one in the field.

I made a bee line for the AR-15 dealers and handled and examined about 15 AR's. I just looked at NIB rifles/carbines, including Colt Hbars, Colt carbines (with Law Enforcement only roll marks), many Bushmasters, DPMS's, a Remington R-15 VTR 18", Sig 556's, and finally a sole Stag 2T (right hand).

All the Colts had noticeable upper/lower play. Also Colt's have non-standard pins and the carbines had Law Enforcement only markings. Legal to buy, but I really don't want to explain this later to dim-witted authorities.

The Bushies were nice but most had one annoying feature which was gloss black uppers on matte black lowers, so they looked like amateur kitchen build ups. Not a deal breaker, but I did not find a model I liked. Also, the "Beltway Snipers" terrorized my region with a Bushmaster AR-15, so that brand has an evil reputation in my area. Again not the fault of the company, and not a deal breaker, but a consideration.

The DPMS models seemed Okay, but could not find a model that spoke to me. They did not seem very popular with most of the buyers, probably just their lack of familiarity with the brand. I got the feeling there were a lot of first time AR buyers today.

The R-15 VTR was just what I had been looking for with the shorter 18" barrel, fixed A2 stock, and perfect camo finish. The upper/lower fit was tight, with a tight takedown pin. The free float hand guard was solid. Other R-15's I have seen have all been 22" with slight upper/lower play and slight hand guard play. This was a very good example of a tight varmint/target rifle and I was tempted, but this non-tactical style rifle will not be banned, so I was in no hurry to pick one up today.

I found a NIB low-price Sig 556 quad-rail SWAT with folding Magpul CTR stock that I had been looking for, but the receiver play was horrible, like some third world AK. That was a deal breaker.

Finally, I came across the lone Stag Arms AR which was the 2T model I had been looking for. The upper/fit was perfect, the Star-C rails were solid, and the finish was unblemished. My timing was perfect, as now several others were eyeballing the gun, but I did not put it down. I told the man I would take it and did the paper work. A minute later, three guys came up, each asking for Stag AR's. The man said, "Sorry fellas, he got the last one."

Checking it out at home, the locking lugs are a tad tight, but I expect them to break in nicely. The ARMS 40L flip up rear is low profile, but the release lever is a bit fiddly and the spring-loaded sight does not lock in the up position. Also, the sight flips up with the small, long-range peep selected. It is a serviceable sight, but I like the GG&G flip up rear sight better. I am going to keep the 40L just to keep the Stag stock. The mil-spec butt stock slider has the usual wobble and I may or may not upgrade to a Magpul CTR. Dummy rounds eject in a tidy pile. The single-stage trigger pull is medium/heavy in weight with a bit of overtravel compared to a two-stage RRA match trigger, but a good,safe self-defense trigger (i.e. not too light). My laser bore sighter indicated that the front sight was a tad high, so I lowered it well within the adjustment range. The windage was spot on and centered (middle of the adjustment range).

I had only one minor control issue that I corrected. If the mag button is pushed too far in, the left side of the catch can hang up on the left side of the receiver, keeping the mag release button depressed and preventing a mag from being captured. I unscrewed the left side of the mag catch and put a slight bevel on two inner edges of the catch (near the post). I reblued, reoiled, and reinstalled the catch. It works smoothly now.

The 2T came with a Stag hard case, manual, catalog, three rail ladders, one 30rd NHMTG 30rd mag (my favorite brand), XL Stag T-shirt, warranty info, bumper sticker, and cable lock.

I plan to keep this gun stock, just as I bought it. It may turn out to be an excellent investment as, the demand for this model is high. I never did find that backup sight adjustment tool, but I did walk away with a mighty fine rifle.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've never had a problem with the Bullethole, in fact I brought my XD from them cheaper than anywhere else. I do think their used gun prices are a bit high.Is that Cabelas ever going to open? It should have been opened by now. Btw I think theres another guy in Freehold that charges like 20-25 for a transfer and I don't think he charges tax on the gun. What's the name of the guy at Carters?
The guy at the drug store is named Mike, hes the pharmacist. Idk.. every time I went to the bullet hole, they gave me an attitude. Guess I look like a white thug?

Wild Rice: Which gun show did you go to today? I went to the one in the Poconos. I think I looked at every AR there, and they were all more than I wanted to pay.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Thx CSJ. Hey Rice, how much did you pay?
I paid $1099 before taxes, a little under MSRP. I could not haggle as there where others right behind me clamoring to buy it. Still, for a STAR-C free-float quad-rail, included $100 back up rear sight, ladder covers, perfect condition, tight fit, and lifetime warranty it was a bargain. I don't think the dealer was scalping prices. They could have easily gotten more than MSRP for that last Stag. This was the opening few minutes of the weekend gun show. It was the best piece on his display table. If I had arrived at that table one minute later, I would have missed my chance. Had to go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
My FFL charges $10. Do your best not to support places that charge high transfer fees and jack up their prices when the demand increases.

Some apparently was lying. I went into Gander to check out what i needed to fill out and what to do since I've never purchased a firearm other than someone face to face. The Gentleman at the counter (not some young teen or something) informed me that the transfer fee was $34.99. So Either they did raise it and got called out for it, or the guy on the phone was lying.

For anyone who's purchased a complete Rifle from Stag, do they come with a hard case or sling, or not? I've emailed them waiting for a reponse, but if someone on here knows, the quicker I can finish up my order. No big deal if they don't, I can purchase them. Gander wanted $1100 for their M4 variant. I'll stick with my Stag, and get quite a few accessories for the price difference :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts