Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been very undecicive lately. Been planning this purhase for a while, but could decide what to get. What cal. Ect. Was doing research today on the xd, i was sure i wanted one, and noticed the promo, so i decided to just pull the trigger.

I really liked the xdm, almost got one, but theres no .45 compact xdm. So i decide to just get the xd. Maybe a 9mm xdm down the road. Its main purpose will be conceal carry when i get around to getting my license. (florida has no open carry sadly, with a couple exeptions). Ordered it from buds gun shop for $498. $503 after shipping insurance.

Now for my questions, to show im still somewhat of a gun noob.

What is the real purpose of the grip safety? On a 1911 it makes sense. And im sure it does on the xd as well. But i csnt figure it out. The 1911 has a hammer that can allow for single action. But the xd is DAO.

Also, the trigger safety. How does a trigger safety deter an unwanted trigger pull? Hard to pull the trigger without automatically pulling the safety. I think im missing some obvious point. and will feel quit moronic when the answer is revealed.

And for the promotion... This gun comes with two different mags. 10 and 13 round. Which do they send with the promo?

I know i had more questions. Just cant think of them right now.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on a good purchase.

The grip safety is designed in such a way that you must depress it fully, before you can pull the trigger, and the trigger safety is designed in such a way that it is harder to catch the edge of the trigger, and in effect pull the trigger.

Both the grip safety, and the trigger safety must be operated per the design intent to get the gun to fire.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. The trigger kinda makes sense. I still dot understand the practicality of the grip safety.

But it didnt deter me from my purchase, as i sont find either one to be annoying at all, just dont fully umderstand them.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Ok. The trigger kinda makes sense. I still dot understand the practicality of the grip safety.

But it didnt deter me from my purchase, as i sont find either one to be annoying at all, just dont fully umderstand them.
You probably will when it arrives.

You basically have to be holding the gun in the manner you would, if you intended to fire it.

But in all honesty,
I only trust the safety between my ears.

FACT:
I went shooting with a friend last weekend, and let him play with my EAA Witness 10mm ... When I went to shoot the gun a bit later, I pulled the trigger and said WTF :confused:

He had set the safety ... That's the first time it's ever been set, since taking delivery of that gun.

I've never had a ND, on any gun, and I've never trusted a mechanical safety !!!

But,
It's nice to know they're there.

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts
Welcome!

Regarding the promo: I believe they'll send whichever capacity you specify. If you're in a state where you're restricted to 10 round mags (or if you prefer them) otherwise they'll send 13 round mags.

Either way, specify what you want.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
But the xd is DAO.
Most likely you, as myself, have seen ALL over the web that the XD is a DAO mechanism. However, this is a misnomer and is untrue.

The XD's trigger mechanism does no "cocking" what so ever. It is a safety and sear/firing pin release to put in simple terms. It is different from a Glock operation that does do some partial cocking of it's mechanism.

So we could say the trigger of the XD is SA similar to a 1911's.

Mechanical experts, please feel free to correct me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That makes sense. See, i was under the impression that it was DAO. Knowing i was wrong makes the grip safety make sense.

·
Registered
31,581 Posts
The grip safety helps prevent what has been dubbed "glock leg" by some folks. If you keep your hand off the grip safety while holstering it helps prevent your clothes from snagging the trigger and causing an AD. Basically it helps keep you from shooting yourself in the leg. You cannot pull the trigger without the grip safety engaged, or work the slide for that matter.
I think the trigger safety is somehow connected to the striker retainer which prevents an AD if the weapon is dropped. It also keeps the trigger from being pulled if it is not properly engaged.

·
Registered
463 Posts
That makes sense. See, i was under the impression that it was DAO. Knowing i was wrong makes the grip safety make sense.
well, though it does operate in the same manner as a DA, it cant be decocked other than by pulling the trigger on an empty chamber and once you chamber a round it is effectively in single action mode. it cant cock itself by pulling the trigger so in reality it is a single action only pistol, just like Glocks and Ruger's SR9/40 pistols. Even if you want to think of it as a double action the trigger pull on a double action XD is still between 5 and 7 pounds where as the double action trigger pull on a Beretta 92/m9 is 8-12 pounds... still about average weight for single action triggers.

and congrats on your XD
I have the XDM45 4.5 and it's a beast...you'll love yours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts