Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep my get-home bag (GHB) (and gloves, shoes...) in a large duffel bag the back of the SUV. It works, but I'd prefer to keep the items in a hard-sized container. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've looked at the reviews on Amazon for containers from Plano and Rubbermaid, and it seems many use weak plastic these days. Example links are below.

My needs:
  • Size probably 25-30 gallons of storage space
  • Prefer black or a dark color so not easily visible (ie., no yellow lid)
  • Hard-sized top/lid too in case I need to put something temporarily on top of the container.

Plano 1919
Amazon.com: Plano 1919 Sportsman Trunk with Wheels, Black: Sports & Outdoors

Rubbermaid 1172
Amazon.com: Rubbermaid 1172 ActionPacker Storage Box, 24 Gallon: Home & Kitchen

·
Registered
29,595 Posts
So, this is what I immediately thought of.

Yes, it’s got a yellow top, but a can of Krylon would fix that...or just put a blanket on top of it.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
I have a Plano similar to zanders.
I have sat and even stood on the thing before not a problem. (Im right about 200 lb) Only has 2 latches (each end) and lid is not hinged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
You can take a large pelican and bolt it through the floor. Then spot weld the bolts from the bottom. Works great. Did one in my buddies truck. Thing was a solid setup.

·
Registered
37 Posts
could just get a big truck style tool box and bolt it down
Ditto, I was at tractor supply recently and they had a large variety of quality metal boxes, some large and some not to large at all. I was looking for something to fit a Jeep Wrangler but recently purchased something else. If I had seen these first I may have gotten one.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update. I bought a Craftsman black tub from Lowe's. It came with a red lid, and I spray painted the top of the lid. All set for about $25.

Thank you @Cuda66 for the suggestion to paint the lid.

·
Premium Member
15,590 Posts
There are Nanuk cases. Pricey, but pretty indestructible for plastic. I mean that is tough... Myself, I just have a regular plastic box for all my recovery gear I throw in my jeep. There are tons, all about the same. All the ones listed.

·
Registered
716 Posts
dewalt toughsystem tote $22

1 - 15 of 15 Posts