Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i want a .22 revolver for plinking but there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of options.
I want something thats medium or large size nothing small.
I have shot a Smith and Wesson 10 shot and it was awesome but i really cant justify an $800+ plinker that i will never carry. Just too many better ways to spend $800.

So i looked into the taurus model 94. Im not a fan of taurus but for this i might be ok with it. However the majority of the reviews list major problems and i the trigger is extreemly stiff. This is like $300 which is about what i would expect to pay for a .22

Then i saw the ruger 100 gp, it has good reviews but i cant find em and they are over double the price of the taurus.
Also
I dont like the old style looking guns like the single six id prefer something more modern.

What are my options guys?

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
It is very hard to beat the Ruger Single Six.

Accurate, well made and affordable. A great 22 revolver.

The Colt and S&Ws are nicer but they run twice the price or more...if you can find one.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
New or used? You should be able to find a decent used wheel gun in 22.

H&R if you can find one.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take a look at the new Ruger sp101 in .22 caliber. That is if you can find one to look at.

YES! this is what i have been looking at lately i would expect it to be pretty much flawless when it comes to reliablility, right?
Also this will be a tough one to find!

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Or the Ruger Single Ten......been thinking about getting one myself...

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Ruger
Sw
Taurus
Rossi

My personal favorites...
High standard
H and R

·
Registered
48 Posts
+1 on the Ruger sp101. Handled a couple at a local gun show, they felt great! Solid little guns. Those grips are pretty cool too.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ruger single six or single ten. You can't beat Ruger revolvers for the price.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
If you can't spring for a S&W, IMO the only choice is the Ruger SP101 in 22 caliber. Unfortunately because it's just been announced it'll probably be 6 months to year before you actually see one, however Ruger may surprize me and roll it out quickly. One thing I am sure of is that if you see one in a gunshop it won't remain there for more than a day or two.

I would NOT go with a Taurus. I've heard too many horror stories from both shooters and dealers. Yeah, some do get lucky and get a good one, however those that get a lemon find dealing with Taurus CS to be frustrating in the extreme.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
The Ruger Single Six and Bearcat can be found at just about any shop if you're open to having a single action.

which honestly, for plinking, I think is way more fun than a double action.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I picked up a Taurus 94 a couple years ago. I had to have a 'smith work on it a bit. Now it functions reliably and is accurate, but it still has a stiff trigger in DA. It will probably get "upgraded" to a Ruger at some point.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
If you can find a used one, I have a H&R 29 sportster. Its a nine shot break open revolver. Very accurate little gun have been shooting it like a champ since i was pretty small. Used i would think it would be pretty cheap.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
For the $800 price tag you could get any Ruger Single Six or Single Ten they make, if you don't need the high zoot models, you could get a couple of them, and more ammo that you could carry.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
I have my eye on a Charter Arms Pathfinder Combo. Charter Pathfinder Combo #62240

22lr with a additional mag. cylinder. Can be had for less than $500.

·
Banned
98 Posts
if you can find one, High standard made a VERY fine .22 wheelgun, called the "longhorn" if memory serves. Amazingly accurate. Of course, a used one might well have been abused, so you have to check it for burred up chamber rear ends, dings at the muzzle, worn cylinder lockup parts.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
if you can find one, High standard made a VERY fine .22 wheelgun, called the "longhorn" if memory serves. Amazingly accurate. Of course, a used one might well have been abused, so you have to check it for burred up chamber rear ends, dings at the muzzle, worn cylinder lockup parts.

Double-Nine or sentinel... longhorn was a variant of the double-nine... love them

1 - 20 of 22 Posts