Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys - first, I'm sure that someplace on here, this has been addressed, but for the life of me, I can't find it..... not on the AK forum anyway. :oops:

I know I've seen some scopes mounted on AK's..... and there was one thread about a Russian made red-dot that I read.

For mounts, someplace I'd also seen a discussion about mounting using some sort of side-mount and also another that replaces the top "dust shield" and fastens on the rear of the receiver.

Question that I've got is what do you guys find to be the better option for mounting a red-dot on an AK?

Also... once you have the mount, do you guys just go with something like an ACOG or something, or other suggestions.

Thanks.... again, am sure it is on here, but am still searching. Appreciate all of your help... as always!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I had an Ultimak. It was great. I later mounted (believe it or not) an Under The Gun fore-end and it was just as good as the Ultimak, and offered more capabilities for the $90 or so it cost.

They both mount the same way and neither I had ever lost zero in any way I could detect.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Lots of options. Many mount the scope rather high requiring either some kind of cheek riser or a lousy "chin weld." I personally prefer a red dot mounted low enough I can co-witness with the irons, and that limits the field of systems and scopes considerable.

The Ultimak (gas tube) is what I currently use with a Burris Speed Dot. The modified Romanian donkey-dong forearm keeps my tender fingers away from the blistering hot Ultimak gas tube.

There is a rail that goes over the top cover and hinges where the front sight would be that is supposed to be solid, but I can't find the link.

Do not bother with the top cover with the rail built-in except possibly this one. The cheap ones won't hold zero. This side mount has the scope low and I believe offset slightly to the left. It is new and unproven. Some Russian optics are pretty good but generally have short battery life.

The best red dots are Aimpoints with astounding battery life, but they are pricey. Personally, I think the AK works best with a red dot. It isn't accurate enough to use for precision work, though I have seen them hit 18" gongs at 500 yards. For me the intended use will be under 100 yards. You may have longer ranges in mind.

CX

·
Registered
780 Posts
I run a Ultimak with a Aimpoint Micro R-1 that I painted black........(R1 is the same as the T1 except how far it can go under water, but almost $200 cheaper) It is an awsome set up! I can leave the red dot on for 5 years before I have to change the batteries! Its slick!

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys!!

Found Aimpoint has a side-mount that is supposed to allow an easy field strip as well as a good priced red-dot. Agree... I don't think it is an accurate enough weapon to need more than a red-dot... maybe a red-dot with 4x magnifier at most. I think my eyes are starting to get old on me. ;-(

Appreciate your help. Will keep looking.

·
Registered
942 Posts
If this is your "fighting" rifle dont cheap out on optics.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I have a UTG side mount with the quick install lever. its a heavy and solid. the machining seems to be pretty good.

it locks up solid. I have not tried it with a red dot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts