Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im looking at buying my first AR in the next few weeks, i have found an armalite and a S&W M&P. i am in the military and until DEC 31st S&W has a 100$ mail in rebate for any new rifle from them for all LE and military personnel so i could get the M&P MOE edition for 870 + FFL thats after the 100 Mail in, or the Armalite Law Enforcement 223 Rem. M4 Carbine/No Carry Handle for 787$ + FFL. does anyone have any experience with these or input please? i have heard they are similar in quality thanks a ton from an AR noobie. also any recommendations of other good manufacturers in the 900$ price range.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Though choice. Armalite I know is one of the few companies that make most parts in house rather than out sourcing. It is hard not to support a company like S&W that supports it armed forces. In the end I think that you'll be happy either way.

I say go for the M&P if you can afford it.

·
Registered
921 Posts
A few points:
The current Armalite is not the Armalite of old, but their quality is pretty darn good.

S&W do make almost all their own parts (but magpul and Troy stuff stock is hardly a bad thing), and their barrels are excellent since they are made by Thompson/Center Arms (which they own)

I own an S&W myself and it has not missed a beat ever.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I have no experience with the S&W, but have an Armalite carbine. I really like it and it has functioned well. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those choices though.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Armalite

·
Registered
159 Posts
Either should be fine. One suggestion would be to make sure the weapon is marked 5.56/.223 or just 5.56. Opens you up to shooting any ammunition vs the .223 only weapons can only run .223.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
all armalites are 5.56 so you can shoot both. I beleave the M&P is also

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I have a smity mp nato love it never a hiccup over 2000 round,s.yet i was advised to keep 223 vs more powerful rounds for the bolt may give up up the ghost.IM inclined to agree im blessed to have the best around me.
I think what your saying is that someone told you NOT to run 5.56 ammo in the M&P as it will wear your bolt prematurely. I would NOT be inclined to agree with that personally. If you buy a rifle thats chambered for 5.56 pressures and your not shooting full-auto i wouldnt worry about the bolt at all regardless of the ammo you are shooting.

I have a Smith MP...its a great rifle. Never given me a bit of trouble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts