Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi all; seeking opinions. Received an email past week from Shooters' World - two locations near me - Phoenix and Peoria.
Phoenix Firearms and Shooting Range

They are selling LE trade in Bushmaster XM15-E2S. I just called - they are in good condition, mostly cruiser duty in the trunk or dash rack, most less then 1000 rounds. Come with one mag. Good quality iron sights mounted, original carry handle sights included. Not that I will probably use either, would be mounting optic for three gun competition.

Price $629. I've bought from same store in past and they accepted my retired Canadian service ID, which is unexpected but very nice. So if they do that for this AR would be $599 plus tax.

When I just google'd to compare found something interesting - a bunch of ads for what seem like same rifles at nearby Cabela's. I bet they are same trade ins. Priced at $899
Bushmaster Rifles For Sale
Bushmaster XM15-E2S Dissipator Carbine .223 5.56 - Bushmaster Rifles

One thing my shooting buds have told me is to get free float barrel to run in three gun competition. These are not, but from what I have read a replacement forend kit would be $50 to $75.

I'm not looking for cheapest rifle out there, rather I'd like to get decent for a great price.

I know some basics about ARs but this would be my first. So seeking opinions. What do you fine folks think? $599 + tax + forend kit + more mags + optic. Is that a great deal or just a fair deal?

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Probably very few rounds through them, but they've been thrown around a bit I bet. If they're the older XM15's made at the Windham plant they're good rifles. I personally think for $650 you can build a better rifle, but that's a matter of preference. The new Ruger AR is also priced around $599 new, as well. Just something to think about.

And for $899, if that's true, Cabelas is out of their minds.

Edit: After seeing the pictures Cabelas posted up, I'd personally pass. For $50 more I'd rather a new rifle and not one that's been beat around. While I'm sure those function just fine, they look a little rough.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply DRS.

how the heck did I miss the new Ruger? Don't recall reading about it. I even get emails from gunsandammo where I just now found a review:
First Look Ruger AR-556 Guns Ammo

yea, easy decision - used (maybe well used) for $599 or new for $599 with pretty much same features.

I am a Ruger fan - good quality a decent price - already four in my little stable ;) So I gotta get out to a store to touchy feel one of these.
thanks again

·
Registered
560 Posts
thanks for the reply DRS.

how the heck did I miss the new Ruger? Don't recall reading about it. I even get emails from gunsandammo where I just now found a review:
First Look Ruger AR-556 Guns Ammo

yea, easy decision - used (maybe well used) for $599 or new for $599 with pretty much same features.

I am a Ruger fan - good quality a decent price - already four in my little stable ;) So I gotta get out to a store to touchy feel one of these.
thanks again
Shot my new ruger ar556 for 2nd time,Im very pleased with it.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shot my new ruger ar556 for 2nd time,Im very pleased with it.
more details please - did you buy online? What did you pay? thanks

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Why not wait and find a colt 6920 for $900 shipped?

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
For 650 -700 bucks...you can buy a Palmetto State complete lower and a BCM upper (with free bolt) and have a higher quality AR. Or...yes..save up 900 or so for a Colt 6920.

if you are going to run the AR hard in 3 gun or some competition....oh yeah....I would definitely save and spring for a quality AR like Colt, BCM, LMT or Daniel Defense. The lower teir ARs will probably not hold up well to very hard use and you will be replacing parts right away and be up to 900 bucks or son in the thing already.

If you want more accuracy...I can say that my Colt 6940 is more accurate than my 6920...mostly because of the free floated barrel. The 6940 is usually not much more than the 6920. I got mine 3 months ago for a shade over a grand.

...food for thought.

-brickboy240

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Probably very few rounds through them, but they've been thrown around a bit I bet. If they're the older XM15's made at the Windham plant they're good rifles. I personally think for $650 you can build a better rifle, but that's a matter of preference. The new Ruger AR is also priced around $599 new, as well. Just something to think about.

And for $899, if that's true, Cabelas is out of their minds.

Edit: After seeing the pictures Cabelas posted up, I'd personally pass. For $50 more I'd rather a new rifle and not one that's been beat around. While I'm sure those function just fine, they look a little rough.
I'm with drs....build one.

It's a fun project and you really learn AR's inside and out during the process. Not to mention, the gun turns exactly how YOU want it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts