Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your opinion which is better for the XD Mod.2 9mm subcompact the 135 grain Hydra Shok Deep or the 147 HST? I've always been more on the side of penetration with decent expansion vs large expansion and less penetration. Where I live we have a large population of black bear which have become less fearful of humans and reports of bear attacks have been on the rise. However I have just as good a chance of having a situation with one of the local junkies here. I have normally used 147 grain HSTs but all the testing I've seen with the Hydra Shok Deep has been pretty consistent across every test from any barrel length. Anyone have any experience with both loads that can give me an educated opinion? I also see people claim that the Hornady Critical Duty in 135 and 135+p both are decent out of shorter barrels even though they claim they are for "Duty size pistol" use. I'll take any recommendations and opinions, so let me hear what ya got.

·
Registered
29,981 Posts
How many angels are dancing on the head of that pin?

Honrstly—whichever one feeds 100% reliably out of your pistol in your hands, and you can place most rapidly and accurately under stress.

Use that and don’t worry about what others think; you’ve found the best load for you.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
+1 for reliability.... I think any of the quality loads would be fine... Speer Gold Dot, Critical Duty, HST, etc, etc, etc.... as long as they function fine in your gun, run with it....... The 10 or so grain difference in the same caliber I don't think would be so drastic as to make any significant difference in outcome.

HOWEVER, if you are honestly worried about bear vs crack-heads or whatever, I think a 9mm may be undersized by a lot and would maybe suggest finding something like a 10mm or bigger for the grizzley encounters... maybe a sawed off 12ga??

Reactions: HngnHunter

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+1 for reliability.... I think any of the quality loads would be fine... Speer Gold Dot, Critical Duty, HST, etc, etc, etc.... as long as they function fine in your gun, run with it....... The 10 or so grain difference in the same caliber I don't think would be so drastic as to make any significant difference in outcome.

HOWEVER, if you are honestly worried about bear vs crack-heads or whatever, I think a 9mm may be undersized by a lot and would maybe suggest finding something like a 10mm or bigger for the grizzley encounters... maybe a sawed off 12ga??
Just like this!!! Problem is I live up that hill past him.
Plant Land lot Asphalt Waste containment Grass

Plant Green Asphalt Grass Road surface

Plant Building Window Land lot Fence

Road surface Asphalt Grass Carnivore Plant

·
Registered
24 Posts
In your opinion which is better for the XD Mod.2 9mm subcompact the 135 grain Hydra Shok Deep or the 147 HST? I've always been more on the side of penetration with decent expansion vs large expansion and less penetration. Where I live we have a large population of black bear which have become less fearful of humans and reports of bear attacks have been on the rise. However I have just as good a chance of having a situation with one of the local junkies here. I have normally used 147 grain HSTs but all the testing I've seen with the Hydra Shok Deep has been pretty consistent across every test from any barrel length. Anyone have any experience with both loads that can give me an educated opinion? I also see people claim that the Hornady Critical Duty in 135 and 135+p both are decent out of shorter barrels even though they claim they are for "Duty size pistol" use. I'll take any recommendations and opinions, so let me hear what ya got.
Personally when I’m in bear country, I carry a 200 or 220gr hard cast 10mm, but if you insist on a 124, or 147gr 9, have a look at the below 147gr +P+, the recoil isn’t that bad, and there are a few great videos on then, as well as being one of my favorite carry rd’s

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Just like this!!! Problem is I live up that hill past him.

View attachment 861037
We have a similar friend to yours in our neighborhood. I kinda just let him do his / her thing. Ours is about the same size, maybe just a bit bigger.

Seeing them in person....... yeah, would want more than a 9mm

Reactions: Ibhangen
1 - 8 of 8 Posts