Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into different optics for my AR. Unfortunately, I can't afford the expensive stuff (EOtech, Aimpoint, ACOG). What's everyone's opinion on Vortex? I'm wanting something for close to midrange. Possibly even something with magnification so I can go a little further out. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
I don't own anything Vortex yet. But ALL of my homework says, "for the price point", you can not go wrong. Lifetime guarantee...no questions asked. What's not to like??

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Which one are you looking at? I've never had one but $200 is too much for "it should be fine". If Aimpoint or EOTech is running a rebate I'd figure out a way to stretch the budget a little.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
You can get the vortex sparx for & 119 on psa right now. With the strike fire 2 out now, which is also in your price of $200, the prices of the strike fire 1 are around $100-$150. YouTube has alot of comparison to the strike fires. From my research it seemed most people are willing to say it's comparable to them just not better. Also that unless you work as an leo they should be fine. That's just what I've found in research not my own testing and why I ended up going with a vortex strike fire. I'd give you a range report on it but I'm still waiting on my upper :/

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
I really like my Strikefire 1. It came with a 2 power screw in magnifier. I paid $119.00 from Cabelo's on line. The lifetime warrenty was a consideration. Only took me 6 rds to zero it ( fired another 6 just to make sure). The 2 power coupler really help these , almost 60 yr old eyes.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I like Vortex optics. If you did want something with magnification though, the Crossfire II 1-4x looks like a nice optic for the money. Just realize a quality mount will also cost $150+. For a nice 1-4x and mount you're going to pay more than an Aimpoint PRO or Eotech.

The Sparc and Strikefire seem like nice optics as well. All depends on what you want to do with it in regards to magnification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have no experience with their red dots, but I have 2 scopes (Viper and Viper PST). the PST is a 2.5-10 power sitting on top of a 6.8 SPC that I use for hunting and the Viper is a 6.5-20x sitting on top of a 20" barreled precision 5.56 upper. I wouldn't trade them. Excellent quality. Why pay $500 for an unmagnified red dot (EOTech, Aimpoint) when you can get magnification with no risk (excellent guarantee). If you can find a Viper PST used, the guarantee carries over to the new owner. It really is "no questions asked".

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I've used the strikefire II and the diamondback. Both worked well. The Diamondback had some major washout if sunlight hit the objective lens at the right angle. The strikefires dot looked a bit out of round to me but others use them and are happy. I've got a Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP on the way, heard nothing but good about it but no hands on yet. The warranty is fantastic.

Sent via dixie cup string phone.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Which one are you looking at? I've never had one but $200 is too much for "it should be fine". If Aimpoint or EOTech is running a rebate I'd figure out a way to stretch the budget a little.
bro aimpoint just came out with a new optic that's around $300 here is a link

Aimpoint launches new Carbine Optic

·
Registered
492 Posts
Vortex optics, are good scopes. Have the Viper6.5X20X44 MilDot, mounted on my M14. Bought a Diamond back 4X12X 40 AO V Plex, from a guy at local gun show, mounted on Ruger 22T, another good scope buy. Vortex, glass, eye relief,and warranty are good deals

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Im seeing it for about $390, may as well just get the PRO for $20 more.
Agreed. I really don't understand this offering from Aimpoint, personally. It's the same price as the PRO new, and the PRO's mount looks nicer. Plus you get flip caps and I'm sure a host of other things.

Not to mention the PRO can be found used for around $350. I bought my PRO on armslist for $325.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
I am also one of those who don't understand the point (no pun intended) of Aimpoint's new Carbine Optic.

With the PRO priced as it is, why not get it, instead?

---

As for Vortex's -

I think their budget red-dots are priced very well for the quality of the product. I haven't used any, personally, but I've seen them plenty - they all seemed clear enough, with good dots, and all owners reported that they retained zero and have not had durability or reliability issues.

I do own both a Crossfire II 2-7x 32mm for my 10/22 (nothing special, just a plinker) as well as a Viper PST 1-4x 24 TMCQ (MOA) for my LMT MRP16, and both are again very nice for the dollar. The Crossfire has good light-transmission and edge-to-edge for its price-range, and the PST really lives up to its reputation as a gateway drug for high-end glass.

One thing that really struck me as being true on the Magpul "Art of the Precision Rifle" series is the question of why buy a so-so optic for a top-dollar rifle? We're limited by the weakest link, and less-than-optimal glass is a pretty weak link. Buy good glass (for what you'd need it for) and get a good mount for it, and transfer it between guns.

I can take off and re-mount my Larue QD's on both my T1 and my PST and know that it'll hold pretty darned close to zero. No, I wouldn't trust my life to it at "longer ranges" (for each respective optic) unless I absolutely had to, but it's certainly proven to be more than good enough for the classes I've attended. Sure, I'm nowhere near the precision-rifle standard of "getting glass that costs at least as much as the rifle" on either of my ARs (the 4MOA T1 is resident on my class beater, a DDM4V5LW), but then again, I'm not shooting precision with these guns. :wink: For a $1200 5.56 carbine, I think a $600-700 investment in optics isn't that outrageous.

---

In terms of magnifiers for the red-dot, I'm kinda split on their utility, but the truth of it is that I really don't have enough time behind the gun with such a setup to really make a decent recommendation either way. All that I can really say is that some of the budget ones are actually pretty darned nice (to the point where I don't really see the reason to spend more to buy an EOTech or Aimpoint one), but I really like the positive locking feature on the Aimpoint.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts