Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been planning a .308 bolt gun set-up for a while now. I think I've finally got it all figured out, but I don't know anything about the optics I've been looking at except for what I find on their website.

My set-up will look something like this:

- Howa 1500 Varminter Heavy 20" Barrel in .308
(ODGreen Hogue factory stock)
- EGW 20 MOA Base (unless I find a better deal)
- Burris Tactical 30mm Rings
- Vortex Optics - Viper 6.5-20x44 PA Mil Dot Reticle

It will mostly be used for target shooting (100-700 yds), coyote hunting, possibly a deer season or two in WI once I can get the time to set it up, and a prairie dog hunt I'm planning for next summer with a few buddies.

The scope has everything I'm looking for: i.e. target turrets, mil-dot, a decent low to high range in variable power, NOT a 50mm objective, parallex adjustment, and a reasonable price tag if it's a decent optical system (website has them at $500, but I've found them online for closer to $400).

My original desire was a Leupold, but their optics with the same features come in at more than triple the price. :evil:

I found the company from an old Outdoor Life "Best of the Best" type article. It obviously didn't score as high as the Swarovsky or Ziess optics, but it came in even with the Leupold VX-3. Just wondering if anyone has one on their set-up, or even anything else made by the company. I'm a little wary to spend $500 on something that could turn out to be just a pricey Tasco. Thanks in advance for the feedback. :)

EDIT: Also, if anyone else has any better suggestions (with a similar price tag and the same features) let me know as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
very satisfied with my vortex binoculars. best binocs i have owned.clear and bright and durable. compare well to nikon monarchs at a cheaper price.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'll begin saying that I don't own any traditional magnified plex optics from them but you just said optics so...

I owned a Strikefire it is was in my opinion, junk. Crapped out after 1900 rounds.

Perhaps they should stick to conventional magnified scopes as they involve no electronics and they haven't mastered that realm yet..

I own several Burris scopes and they have never given me any problems in 20+ years of use.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have a Vortex conventional scope and it has performed exactly as expected. I was able to stop by the Vortex office a few years ago and meet some of the team, and they are great! Very friendly and knowledgable, and very proud of their company and products. I recommend them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have good things to say about Vortex...but I own their Sparc red dot and not a scope. Negative reviews seem to be few and far between. When price is a factor, they seem to be a good route to take. I will be buying more Vortex in the future if I get a .308

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome. Thanks for all the input guys. I'm glad to hear good things about them. =) Hopefully I should have pics up in 1-2 months once the money falls into my budget to buy the whole set-up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I know the vortex line has recieved some great reviews and is a good product and a fair price. When I was looking for a 1-4x for my ar I was looking hard at the Vortex line. I finally decided on the SS 1-4x with the circle reticle. I think I made the right choice. The glass is very clear with no distortion at all. I would take a look at the SS line by SWFA.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
What I look at is the warranty and the time it takes to have the unit repaired and returned. For example in 1961 my dad bought a Weatherby rifle with a Leupold scope "I was there when he bought the rifle" In 1996 I was looking through the scope and the coating on the lens was starting to peel, I called Leupold and stated the problem and that I had no proof of purchase. The leupold rep said to send it in with a description of what is wrong . The scope was refurbished and returned with in 2 weeks. This is really not an opinion on the Vortex scope but something to consider ,Guns get dropped etc.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I put a Vortext Viper PST (4-16x50) FFP mil/mil on my Savage 10 FCP HS-Precision a few months back and have really enjoyed it. It replaced a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-x24x50 FFP mil/mil. The glass is better on the PST as are the turrets, in my opinion. I shot a 2 mil box text with it @ 100 yds this past Monday. The 1st and final shots were touching. Given my best 5 shot group with the rifle has been .40" @ 100 yds to date, I was 100% satisfied with the results. I especially like the zero stop on the elevation turret. Nice indeed. Not sure if the Viper comes with that or if it is a feature of the PST....there is a notable price difference between.

·
Registered
914 Posts
A couple of my co-workers have Vortex scopes and have nothing but good things to say about the clarity of the optics and overall quality. I've been a confirmed Leupold guy for my entire life, but they've convinced me to give Vortex a try. I'm buying the Viper HS 4-16 x 50mm with the Dead Hold Ballistic reticle, and going for a 30mm tube for the first time as well.

Fingers are crossed.

Here's a link if interested:

Vortex Optics - Viper HS 4-16x50 LR Dead-Hold BDC Reticle

·
Registered
38 Posts
The only Vortex scopes I have read a lot of bad things about are their Crossfire line....been there and had issues with them holding adjustment under recoil with my .308 Winchester calibered rifle....worked fine on the .22 rimfire. I still keep one on the .22 rimfire now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a Crossfire model and it worked fine on my 17 HMR and 17M2. However, I don't think it's built to withstand a bruiser like a 308.

I still have it on one of my HMR's and I've been pleased with it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have a crossfire on my savage 10fp 308. I'm sending it in to have it repaired or replaced. The turrets are not holding during recoil. The first one I had, after about 60rounds, the crosshairs started canting. The scope came with the rifle when I bought it. It's not meant for 308s even vortex told me that. I'm actually hoping to use their upgrade program and get a viper or PST. They give you the market value of your trade in scope for the purchase of an other one of their scopes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very good reviews. It is definitely good optic. I have good knowledge about Vortex optic. It is the best optical tools available for birding, hunting and field sports. It provides the best possible satisfaction to the users. Vortex offers innumerable high-end optics with long range shooting precision. This optic is great for its performance and reasonable rate.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow this thread came back from the dead. Lol. I ended up starting an AR project with the money. So not only is it revived, but pointless. Lol

Thanks for the input though. If I ever end up doing a .308 (god willing) ill consider Vortex.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, i'm find Vortex spotting scope on ebay, how you think, $300 for that it's ok?
www .ebay.com/itm/Razor-HD-20-60x85-Angled-Spotting-Scope/281084313833

·
Registered
59 Posts
I didn't read through all of the replies. I have a Vortex Viper PST and while it's larger than what you are looking for, I love it. Their warranty is top notch. If anything ever happens to it regardless of fault, they replace it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts