Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could snag either of these two pistols... within about $50 of each other in price. None of the ranges near me have either available for rent, so I can't try them out for myself, so I'm trying to gather some opinions on these. They're both entry-level models from their respective manufacturers.

Kimber seems to have a great reputation for their 1911s, and I'm sure I would be happy with it. I've heard some less than stellar reports about customer service and service turnaround times. It also seems like it would be hard to go wrong with any Smith & Wesson, but how long have they been making these? I think they're fairly new to 1911s, right?

My preference is for the stainless S&W, but I am totally undecided. I've fondled both both of them before, but again haven't been able to fire either. They were both comfortable, felt really balanced/pointable, buttery cycling, etc. I know this is entirely subjective...I'm looking more for reasons to maybe avoid one or the other.

Any thoughts? Commentary?

·
Registered
185 Posts
having never owned a kimber, i cannot make a statement about their firearms, there have been many post about their firearms that you could look for. i own a s.s. s&w 1911 #108284 in my experience it has been a flawless weapon, over 2000 rounds and no mal-functions. the weapon is extremely accuarate and feeds any ammo i put in it. it performs very well with speer gold dot 230 grain jhp. also s&w does have the best warrenty customer service in the business.(just ask anyone who needed help)
thats my opinion.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
NAHC LIFE MEMBER

WE CAN ONLY BE WHAT WE GIVE OUSELVES THE POWER TO BE...

·
Registered
890 Posts
Doesn't the SW have an external extractor? I personally like the look of the classic 1911 and don't like the external extractor. It may perfor just fine, but aesthetically speaking I would prefer it to be an internal one.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I have a Kimber TLE II which is basically a Custom II with night sights and frontstrap checkering. I have also shot two other borrowed Customs...a parked one and a Stainless II.

My TLE is scary accurate and so far, reliable. Ditto for the two other Customs I have shot in the past.

Some here will poo poo Kimbers, but my personal experiences with Kimbers have all been great. Thats why 4 weeks ago, I bought the TLE II instead of many others I was looking at.

Don't know about S&W's 1911s. They look nice, but I have never shot one. I looked at one but the Kimber offred mor for the money and I had shot 2-3 Kimbers and liked them, so I was a tad biased.

Don't regret buying Kimber....not one bit.

- Brickboy240

- Brickboy240

1 - 4 of 4 Posts