Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is posted in the right forum...

The Springfield Saint Victor is listed as a pistol -- an AR-style chambered in .223 / 5.56 NATO. I am dipping my toes into the AR pool (since Virginia came this close to outlawing them) and the choices are innumerable. The Saint Victor is (for me) a bit of a compromise, as it's a pistol and not a rifle, but its components are AR, so it could be a vaible introduction.

It's not an SBR, is it? Since it has a forearm brace instead of a stock, and it isn't / wasn't originally rifle, that shouldn't require a stamp, correct? Here are the specs. Any comments or questions?
  • CALIBER 5.56x45mm NATO (.223REM)
  • LENGTH 26.5"
  • WEIGHT 5 lb 8 oz
  • UPPER RECEIVER Forged Type III Hard Coat Anodized, 7075 T6 Aluminum
  • LOWER RECEIVER Forged Type III Hard Coat Anodized, 7075 T6 Aluminum w/ Accutite™ Tension System
  • BARREL 7.5" 416R Stainless Steel w/ 1:7 Twist, Melonite® Finish
  • GAS SYSTEM Direct Impingement Pistol-Length Gas Port
  • TRIGGER Enhanced Nickel Boron Coated Single Stage Flat Trigger
  • SIGHTS Not Included
  • TRIGGER GUARD Bravo Company
  • PISTOL GRIP Bravo Company Mod.3
  • HANDGUARD M-Lok Aluminum SA Patent Pending Free Float w/ SA Locking Tabs and Forward Hand Stop
  • FOREARM BRACE SB Tactical - SBX-K
  • BUFFER ASSEMBLY Carbine "H" Heavy Tungsten Buffer
  • RECEIVER EXTENSION SA Pistol T6 Type III Hard Coat Anodized Aluminum
  • CHARGING HANDLE GI Style
  • BOLT CARRIER GROUP Enhanced M16, MPT, Melonite® Finish w/ 9310 Steel Bolt
  • MAGAZINE 1 - 30 Round Magpul PMAG
  • CASE Soft AR-15 Pistol Case
  • MSRP $1,015.00

·
Registered
698 Posts
They are decent guns. The linear comp does help a little with noise, but it's still pretty stupid loud being a 7.5" barrel. The trigger looks sweet from the outside, but it feels a lot like an ALG enhanced mil-spec trigger, so it's smooth, but it's still heavy and really nothing to write home about. I'd personally swap that arm brace for a Tailhook brace, but that's me.

It's a solid gun with quality parts. I'd swap the trigger and brace, and then I'd have one hell of a gun.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don’t understand the AR pistol craze, but if it’s as good as my Saints it’s a good gun.

·
Registered
29,564 Posts
It's not an SBR, it’s a brace...but (as of now) you can shoot if from the shoulder according the BATFE.

That being said,.,7.5 is too damn short for a 556 pistol. You get a metric fu(dge)-ton of muzzle flash and blast...it’s tooth rattling indoors at a range, and will ring your bell through double ear pro inside of a house (I’ve tried it, with a blast can—Noveske KX3–on one). Do not recommend.

Get a 10.5” or 11.5” barreled 556 pistol, or if you really want that short, an 8.5” .300AAC.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
7.5 is too damn short for a 556 pistol. You get a metric fu(dge)-ton of muzzle flash and blast...it’s tooth rattling indoors at a range, and will ring your bell through double ear pro inside of a house (I’ve tried it, with a blast can—Noveske KX3–on one). Do not recommend.

Get a 10.5” or 11.5” barreled 556 pistol, or if you really want that short, an 8.5” .300AAC.
How would you compare it to a PSA 10.5" AR-15 Pistol? There are some variety options, and the prices range from a stripped-down version at $499 to a higher-end model at $579. The price is better than the Saint Victor, but that isn't my driving priority.

·
Registered
29,564 Posts
How would you compare it to a PSA 10.5" AR-15 Pistol? There are some variety options, and the prices range from a stripped-down version at $499 to a higher-end model at $579. The price is better than the Saint Victor, but that isn't my driving priority.
I’ve had good luck on my PSA rifles.

I’ve also got their stripped down pistol upper, that I’ve got to get the lower built for. I did take it on a test run on my buddy’s registered SBR lower, and it ran great. I’d totally go PSA...

·
Registered
902 Posts
I don’t understand the AR pistol craze, but if it’s as good as my Saints it’s a good gun.
Because it gives you the footprint and capability of an SBR , without waiting for the paperwork/taxes, dealing with issues crossing state lines, transferring ownership, and is covered by a CCW since it's a "pistol."

·
Registered
19,921 Posts
For the price, I think the Saint line low on the list of factory AR's I'd be interested in.

This is the cheapest era for quality AR's right now. You can get a very nice pistol put together for what they're charging.

10.5" is the absolute shortest I'd go on a 5.56 barrel though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts