Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I own an XD9 and now interested in a Springfield 1911.

Any opinions on the different models, not looking to spend over $1000, but having a hard time deciphering the differences on the Mil Spec, GI, Range Officer, etc. . .

Unfortunatley, can't shoot them all to compare, so looking for some good advice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a Range Officer on order. Having learned to shoot on a peaked and tweeked 1911, the tupperware guns leave me wanting. They are fine for self defense but I haven't run into one I'd want to shoot bullseye.

Szumi

XDM 4.5 9mm
S&W M&Pc .40 (apex parts)
A number of real steel framed guns with decent triggers.

·
Banned
744 Posts
I have A 1911 mil spec and love it. Very solid.

I think the main difference between the gi and mil spec is the mil spec has angled slide serrations vs straight and a larger ejection port. Beyond that I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I started out with the Mil Spec. I liked the 3 dot sights over the GI model. The Range Officer wasn't out yet when I bought mine. You really cannot go wrong with any of them, just depends on exactly what you want. The GI sights (when paired with my eyes) were not ideal for me, that's the main reason I went up a level. I've added quite a bit of stuff to mine lately. I also have a Loaded Micro Compact. I started with an XD-40 and have now been bitten hard by the 1911 bug...be careful...it is contagious...:D

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so, can I assume that the GI model is considered the low-end version.

then, Mil Spec

then Range Officer,

then????

·
Registered
36 Posts

then, Mil Spec

then Range Officer,

then????
TRP.

I really like the range officer but I want front strap checkering. I love the flat mainspring housing and the large 3 dot sights.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I started out with the Mil Spec. I liked the 3 dot sights over the GI model. The Range Officer wasn't out yet when I bought mine. You really cannot go wrong with any of them, just depends on exactly what you want. The GI sights (when paired with my eyes) were not ideal for me, that's the main reason I went up a level. I've added quite a bit of stuff to mine lately. I also have a Loaded Micro Compact. I started with an XD-40 and have now been bitten hard by the 1911 bug...be careful...it is contagious...:D

No kidding. It's a pandemic. Wish it would infect democraps. :razz:
I'm wondering if I need to call 1911 anonymous..... :shock:

I need another one. and another. and .......

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts

then, Mil Spec

then Range Officer,

then????
The Loaded models are between the Mil Spec and Range Officer. GI on the bottom and TRP on top as Mike Mentioned for SA production guns. Lots of options, barrel lengths, finishes, etc available so it all comes down to what you are looking for.

You don't need to shoot them all but I'd go fondle as many as possible to understand what options and sights you want. The GIs and Milspecs will be a little more loose, the Beavertails, upgraded sights, etc all start with the Loaded models, and the ROs and TRPs get the extra fitting and match barrels/bushings.

If you can, I would go shoot each barrel length to get a feel for the difference in recoil and a Loaded model as well as a GI/Milspec if you can to feel the difference in triggers and beavertails. Everything else is just options.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have the EMP 9mm, can't tell you anything yet I just P/U about 1 1/2 Hours ago....Paid on sale $ 929.99

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Big fan of the TRP, Pro and Custom Carry. The EMP 9 and 40 are great little guns as well.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Can't go wrong with any of them. I think the loaded models may be the best value in 1911s.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can't go wrong with any of them. I think the loaded models may be the best value in 1911s.
+1 I love my Loaded 45 Target Stainless PI9132LP. it just needs a fewwww tweaks. dawson fiber front sight .090, trigger job, Wilson Combat magwell, and you are golden! plus its so pretty:D

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Yup, get one with the features you want now.
That is if you know yet.
Much more expensive to add later.

I have to admit I'm having such fun with my GI and upgrading it bit by bit though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Loaded is a good mid range gun. Has the upgrades you would want over a mol-spec or GI without the cash out of pocket for a TRP or Professional.

Get a mil-spec or loaded and shoot it to see if you like it. 1911 is one of those platforms you either love or hate.

Jim

·
Registered
509 Posts
I loved the GI, I prefer bare bones 1911's not a fan of flare. Thats just me though i'm in the minority here. Best advice I can give is look at ALL the specs of the models you find appealing to the eye then decide if each feature is something you want, love, hate. Good luck!

·
Registered
338 Posts
So, I own an XD9 and now interested in a Springfield 1911.

Any opinions on the different models, not looking to spend over $1000, but having a hard time deciphering the differences on the Mil Spec, GI, Range Officer, etc. . .

Unfortunatley, can't shoot them all to compare, so looking for some good advice.

I suggest you have a look at the new ruger SP1911 45 it sells for $800
I dont think you will find anything comparable at that price.

·
Registered
174 Posts
No Springfield 1911 is a bad gun. A lot of Special Forces 1911's are based off of the basic 1911 frame and slide and then tuned. Personally I would go with a Range Officer as it has an adjustable rear sight so you can put it dead on for your specific competition/carry/range load. The Ruger 1911 isn't tested and regarded as bulletproof like the Springfield's are. I'd let someone else be a guinea pig. You can't go wrong with a Springfield Armory 1911.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have a SS Mil-spec I was surprised at how well it shoots. Every bit as well as a Colt Gold Cup I bought in the 70s. And these old eyes like the 3 BIG Dots

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Honestly, I have to say I'm not as impressed by the trigger in my Loaded as I thought I would be.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts