Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife wants a shottie she can handle...I have a Mossy 590A1 that I keep on my side of the bed...My wife is small in stature,5'4 122 Lbs..She's shot the 12ga. and it's a little heavy for her and it throws her a bit...Is a 410 worth a damn for SD,or would we be better served to go for a 20ga. ...She's shot both and can handle either,with the 410 being the easiest for her to handle...I'm thinking since she can handle the 20 ,that would be the better choice...Been reading about 410 loads not really able to do the job...Just looking for some advice/opinions...

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
20 gauge youth model .

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If she really needs it, she won't notice and recoil.

.410 is just fine for home defense though. Well placed buckshot or slug would fine.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
This will be another fun thread to watch. In my opinion a 410 with proper ammo will get the job done. However, I am a huge fan of the 20 gauge. It is often overlooked, but it throws a lot of lead and the recoil is significantly less than a 12 gauge. Have her shoot a 20 before you go to the 410.

·
Registered
29,831 Posts
As long as you are talking about an actual shotgun--that is, a long gun, not a bastardized .45 revolver--yes, a .410 capable.

It's throwing the same pellets as a 12ga at the same velocity; it's just throwing less of them.

That being said--if she can handle a 20, it would likely be a better choice.

That--or have you tried low-recoil loads in the 12? Usually, there is minimal difference between them and a 20ga...

Assuming, of course, the 12 fits her; if it doesn't, that could be more of an issue than the caliber...she may be able to handle a properly fit 12ga with low recoil buck just fine...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The only issue i can think of is reduced load.

The .410 doesn't fit many pellets. Which is the big draw to a shotgun, multiple hits per shot.

It will get the job done, but also consider ammo prices if she is going to put in range time with it. .410 is insanely high. While 20ga is one of the cheapest shotguns to feed.

If ammo price is a concern. 20ga is better.

And FWIW a 20ga youth model feels just like shooting a 12ga

Also look into recoil pads. They REALLY do help to take a lot of the bite off.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I overlooked ammo prices. 410 is about double the price.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Rob2, Has a very good point. Get a weapon she will be happy to train with.
A gun is step 1 . Training until manipulating the weapon is muscle memory is step 2 and of course
Mindset Mindset Mindset !!!!

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Been reading about 410 loads not really able to do the job...Just looking for some advice/opinions...
Better than harsh language. ;-)

·
Registered
29,831 Posts
A 20ga with reduced buck loads might be a good option too.

Or a pistol caliber carbine
Never seen reduced loads for a twenty...

And my non-shotgun suggestion would be an M1 carbine. Light, handy, reliable, loaded with soft points, it's devastating at close range.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
For what they go for, a .45 camp rifle would be nice.

Also, why the Hell hasn't anyone made a .45 super lever gun?

I really wish the pistol caliber carbine market would blow up.

Id love to have an M1 carbine though. They're getting to be as much as Garands now.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
And yeah, only finding reduced power birdshot in 20...

With the influx of female shooters, federal needs to make some buckk loads with the flight control cup and put them in a box with a pink ribbon.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I'd rather have a .45 carbine than a .410 for home defense. Or a 9mm.

What would be super is for the atf to stop being so dicktarded and allow a buttstock to be afixed to a pistol without it being a federal offense.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts