Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The local Dick's sporting goods has some Ultramax 40 S&W 180GR CNL for $30 for 225 round and it is present on sale for 10% off that. Have you guys had any luck with all lead bullets in your XD? I have tried some Ultramax 38 special and 357 magnum SWC in my Ruger Blackhawk and they always lead up the forcing cone really bad. And the 38 special are horrible in the accuracy department. I have to use an old 410 shogun brush to get the lead out of the forcing cone. Do you guy have a leading problem in the XD? How do lead bullets shoot in the XD?

Thanks
mcb

·
Registered
252 Posts
Unless the price is way too good to pass up, I'd stay away. I bought one box at a Dunhams store near me and I wish I hadn't. First of all, it is reloaded ammo. The brass is all at least once used. The stuff I had was unjacketed lead, so it wasn't the cleanest ammo I've used. Finally, I used about 5 rounds at an indoor range and had to stop becasue the smoke started to just hang in the air. I had no reliability problems, but considering it was no cheaper than winchester white box, I'd buy something else.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Ultramax < *

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should have listen to you guys. I got sucked in by the cost and tried a box of the Ultramax 40 S&W 180gr CNL to day at the range. A better name for the crap would be Ultrajam. Up until today when I tried the Ultramax I only had on FTF in nearly 500 rounds thru my XD. Using ultramax I had one magazine that had 6 of 10 failures to feed. It was quite miserable ammo to try to use. Its a shame to my XD seem to like it from an accuracy point of view. They group nearly as well as WWB. Oh well I guess you get what you pay for. Now to go clean my XD and see how bad the lead build up is.

Later
mcb

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got thinking about it and decided that the Ultramax ammo was bad enough the Ultramax should make it right. I sent them a polite email detailing the situation; we'll see if they get back to me and make this right. Since its remanufactured ammo I did not expect 100% function but that was ridiculous.

mcb

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thats actually not a bad idea. Although for the price, I'd still probably buy WWB, considering Ultramax is almost twice the price at any place I usually buy at. I guess I don't understand why remanufactured ammo is so expensive.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm suprised that Ultramax is more expensive then your source of WWB. I pay 15.97 for 100 rds of WWB at the local Walmart. I got the box of 225 rds of the Ultramax for 29.99 at the local Dicks sporting goods. That ends up being $6.66 a box (50). The closes I have been able to get to that has been CCI Blazers at Walmart for $7.49 a box (50). We'll see if Ultramax works this out.

mcb

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know I am mostly having a conversation with myself here but...

I got a reply from Ultramax about my problem. The service rep thought I would have better luck with their FMJ rather than the CNL bullets I bought. They are going to exchange the CNL for the FMJ and have put a postage paid box in the mail to me to return the unfire portion of the ammuntion (125rds) and they will replace them with FMJ. I was pleased they were willing to do something about the problem and plesantly suprised that it will not cost me anything, not even shipping. Now their ammo may or may not be worth it but with customer service like that I will at least give it another try to two. I let you know how the FMJ functions when I get it.

mcb

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yeah, I appreciate the update too. I just wonder if anywhere around here has FMJ in stock. I'd be willing to give it another try if I found some for the right price.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
I would stay away from their reloads man. If you want reloads, look into georgia arms. Same money back guarentee and better quality

·
Registered
533 Posts
I just got my order of S&B from cabelas today.
180gr FMJ
7.99/box of 50 I got 6 boxes, same price for Magtec.
It was at my door in 4 days
if anyone can tell me where I can get same quality ammo for better price I would be greatful.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
wJAKE19 said:
I just got my order of S&B from cabelas today.
180gr FMJ
7.99/box of 50 I got 6 boxes, same price for Magtec.
It was at my door in 4 days
if anyone can tell me where I can get same quality ammo for better price I would be greatful.
You dont get much cheaper than 16 per 100 for 40 cal.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess this is why I tried the Ultramax. At 29.99 for 225 rounds that is only $6.66 for a box of 50. So even if you figure in our local 6.75% sales tax that was only $7.11 a box of 50. The closes to that I have found yet is $7.49 (%7.99 w/tax) for CCI Blazer Brass at Wal-Mart. I have found cheaper online but after you figure in the shipping costs it always end up quite a bit above $8 a box. For that price I had to at least give it a try. I doubt that Ultramax's FMJ is much cheaper that Blazer Brass at Wal-Mart I will give my exchange round a try before I worry about finding a source of Ultramax 40 S&W FMJ. If they are good hopefully the local Dick's will special order them for me. We'll see.

mcb

·
Registered
533 Posts
thats what I thought. even cabelas remanufactured bulk ammo is $.15 a pop. I paid .16 a pop for new. and S&B runs good in my gun.
I was just hoping someone would have a secret website to get quality ammo for cheap.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I picked up some Remington UMC .40 S&W 180 gr FMJ for $36.88 out the door 250 round box. That is $7.37 per 50 at Bi-Mart I got 3 box's at that price.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yeah, the more I think about how bad my first box of ultramax was, the more I realize I'll just stick with WWB.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I received the replacement ammunition earlier this week from Ultramax. I had returned 125 round of bulk 180 CNL 40 S&W and was returned three boxes (150rds) of 180 grain FMJ. This exchange was done at no cost to myself. They sent me a pre-paid UPS shipping label to ship the bad ammo to them and then shipped back the replacement. As far as customer service goes I have no complaints, they were very responsive and went out of their way to make me happy.

This new ammunition was not perfect in function but was no worse than those last two boxed of CCI Blazer Brass 165 grain FMJ I tried. And it was a world better than the CNL ammunition I returned. Like the CCI Blazer Brass if I only put 5 or 6 round in the magazine then they functioned flawlessly. The FTF were only in the first few round of a full magazine.

I might give more of the ammunition a try if I can get it cheaper then the Remington UMC I am primarily using right know. But I can get 250 rounds of UMC for only $40 at Gander Mountain. I will have to see what Dick's would charge for the 250 round bulk pack Ultramax 180 FMJ. I got the CNL for only 29.99 but my guess is the FMJ is going to be closer to $40 so it looks like it will be UMC for me. Take it for what its worth.

mcb

1 - 20 of 20 Posts