Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to get ahold of a Taurus Tracker in .357...its the 6 1/2" Ported Barrel with 7-shot Cylinder and Hogue Grips...

Wondering if any of the folks around here have any insights about these revolvers--good/bad lets hear it...

He hasn't talked turkey yet, wanna make sure it is something I am interested...

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Not to be a rain on the parade guy, but I generally avoid Taurus guns. Even their revolvers. And I'm not much of a fan of ported barrels especially on a long barrel gun as they don't do much of anything but get dirty and throw up gases in your line of sight. A 6 1/2 barrel firing a 357 isn't going to have bad recoil or muzzle flip anyway, why add the cleaning hassles of a ported barrel? Especially if you want to shoot lead.

And I've seen or heard of too many Taurus problems to trust them. Revolvers going out of timing, lockup getting weak and shaving bullets at the forcing cone, etc.

I saw brand new GP100's at the gun show last week for right at $500 bucks. For a gun you cannot go wrong with.

I'd get a Ruger, or spend a bit more and get an SW and have a really great revolver.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Save for a .454 Raging Bull Casull , better overall home defense revolver.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Get the ruger!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I like Taurus overall...revolvers and semi-auto pistols both...they have a bad rep in some circles but not sure why...everything I have ever owned, or shot from them has worked flawlessly.

That being said, can't really go wrong with a nice solid Ruger frame.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went ahead and passed on it...thinking I am gonna stash away some more pennies until I can afford a Smith and Wesson or Ruger Redhawk...

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
A gentleman that hosts a CCW class, swears buy his 4 Taurus revolvers he lends to students in his class. Claims he never witnessed an issue with them.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decided I want a 4" barrel...no porting...not too worried about reliability really, just not good enough deal to compromise

·
Registered
10,949 Posts

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tossing around the idea of getting a long-barrel GP-100 and having MagnaPort work their magic on it...

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
I had a 4" Tracker in .357; all the porting did was make it really LOUD; didn't notice any reduction in recoil. It also shot loose after about 2-300 rounds of magnum loads.

I'd say saving up for a S&W or Ruger is the way to go...and speaking from the experience of owning both--get the 686.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
tossing around the idea of getting a long-barrel GP-100 and having MagnaPort work their magic on it...
I was thinking along the same lines, but going 4" barrel instead.

I also dig the Taurus Trackers, but there's enough naysayers to keep me from spending my limited gun funds on one just yet. Eventually, when I've scratched a few other itches and taken care of a few more responsibilities I'll go ahead and get one. If it sucks, I won't be heartbroken.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
The tracker looks cool but it's still a damn Taurus.

An old Ruger Security Six or used GP is always a solid buy. 686 however is the best current production .357 on the market.

Well, 6 shot anyway. I love my little SP101...

·
Registered
5,287 Posts

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was thinking along the same lines, but going 4" barrel instead.

I also dig the Taurus Trackers, but there's enough naysayers to keep me from spending my limited gun funds on one just yet. Eventually, when I've scratched a few other itches and taken care of a few more responsibilities I'll go ahead and get one. If it sucks, I won't be heartbroken.
Magnaport can chop and recrown the barrel on one...I want a 4 1/2"...so eventually buy a 6" and have them give it a reduction and theit porting actually works! :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I just bought a 3 inch S&W Model 29 44mag that is magnaported.
I didn't really want a ported pistol, but overlooked it in the description before I bid on it.
I was watching about 15 different auctions and didn't see it was ported until after I bid.
I was my mistake so I went thru with the auction, I should have it next week.

I'm going to shoot it and see if I like it.
I'll either keep it, or sell it and buy another non-ported 29.
Or I'll contact S&W and see if they can replace the barrel and I'll have them tune it up.

I'm not big on Taurus anything.
My Dad had a Model 85 that never gets shot, never a problem.
My FIL bought a 709 that I thought sucked, I sold it for him when first started getting symptoms of dementia.

I do love my S&S 686+.
Shooting it made me buy the 29 week later...:roll:

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just bought a 3 inch S&W Model 29 44mag that is magnaported.
I didn't really want a ported pistol, but overlooked it in the description before I bid on it.
I was watching about 15 different auctions and didn't see it was ported until after I bid.
I was my mistake so I went thru with the auction, I should have it next week.

I'm going to shoot it and see if I like it.
I'll either keep it, or sell it and buy another non-ported 29.

I'm not big on Taurus anything.
My Dad had a Model 85 that never gets shot, never a problem.
My FIL bought a 709 that I thought sucked, I sold it for him when first started getting symptoms of dementia.

I do love my S&S 686+.
Shooting it made me buy the 29 week later...:roll:

I would wager you won't be disappointed...but if ya decide to part with it send me a PM--I was lookin at a 357 but 44 isn't out of the question!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts