Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I was downstairs preparing for a job interview. eating breakfast, and watching news.

When I heard the immediately recognizable report of a gun discharge in my house, upstairs.

I squatted waited about a second, and I heard OMG up stairs, I quickly yelled "Is any body hurt, and then went to check my roommates bedroom downstairs to see if he was ok.

As I ran to his room I saw the bullet exit hole through the ceiling and where it impacted on the floor. Only a few feet away from where my roommate was standing in his bedroom.

Thankfully nobody was hurt.

The Facts:

Roommate A who legally owns his .40 XD subbie placed his locked and loaded pistol (as he always keeps it) on his dresser, there are no children in the house. As he was in the bathroom. (normally he carries the pistol on him).

Roommate B picks up the gun, playing with it, and shows it to "A"'s girlfriend points it at the ground and says "watcha gonna do now mutha ****a" and accidentally discharges a bullet into the second floor, nearly missing my other roommate "C".

Now roommate C is pissed off at roommate A for having the firearm, and he is requiring that roommate A get rid of it or move out (he keeps it for safety reasons as he has restraining orders on some people from his past).

My question is WTF did roommate B think when he 1. picked up the gun, 2. pointed it around, 3. placed his finger on the trigger.

Roommate B said he didn't have his hand on the trigger and that he didn't have his hand on the gun which I call BS (as does the girlfriend)

Roommate A even demonstrated that the gun would not fire unless both safeties were disengaged.

My point is, that in my opinion all the blame rests with roommate B, and his poor gun handling skills (treat all weapons as locked and loaded, esp if it is not yours), while roommate B denies any fault and he blames roommate A for having a loaded weapon.

What do you guys think, about the situation, who is at blame and how should I go about convincing my roommate "C" that the blame rests w/ "B" mostly, else the house will be gun free.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
It's B's fault. He's not a child.

1: He should have known better than to play with something he didn't understand.
2: He shouldn't be touching someone else's things, especially their dangerous expensive things.

I have two roommates, a family, and a girlfriend. All of them have been taken to the range for some basic "lesson in permanence" instruction, and all of them know how not to handle a firearm.

B is an idiot.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Beat the dogsnot out of roommate B and dump his unconsious body in a shopping center dumpster somewhere, with all of his belongings.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
[TASF said:
Overkill]It's B's fault. He's not a child.

1: He should have known better than to play with something he didn't understand.
2: He shouldn't be touching someone else's things, especially their dangerous expensive things.

I have two roommates, a family, and a girlfriend. All of them have been taken to the range for some basic "lesson in permanence" instruction, and all of them know how not to handle a firearm.

B is an idiot.
Well said. I have nothing to add here...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would kick "B" out of the house no questions asked, and I would also require "A" to purchase some sort of safe or locking device, and actually use it! I understand that he legally owns the gun and he is all legit, but it is also his fault for leaving the gun in the open unattended. I don't know about NV law, but here in Cali no matter who pulls the trigger it is the gun owners ass!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Roommate B should thank the lucky stars that he didn't kill or seriously hurt somebody + spend some serious $$$ sucking up to roommate C & B or move, roommate C needs to get a handgun case that locks and roommate A needs to lighten up. :x

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
Nothing would have happened if B had kept his hands off A's gun.

B is an idiot.

Idiots are dangerous.

bd

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
It is both roommate A's and roommate B's fault.

Never ****ing leave a gun out, ever. No children in the house? **** that ****; roommate B sounds like he has the maturity level of a 14 year old.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd blame roommate A and B. First of all A shouldn't have left a loaded gun sitting out where someone (anyone...roommate, intruder, whatever) could have accessed it. How much longer does it take to take out the magazine and empty the chamber.

And B shouldn't have picked it up (and if he did...at the very least practice safe gun handling skills).

Did roommate A educate all the roommates in the house as to how to handle weapons when he got the gun?. I'm in the same situation here as far as roommates who live with me who don't own/haven't fired a gun before.

scottie

·
Registered
342 Posts
this sounds like my friends...

this is C's fault. If he wasn't such a dumbass, he would be blaming B like should be done. Instead C is stirring up trouble. Goddamn antis. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
"B" needs to pull his head out and step up like a man taking responsibility...... finger not on the trigger- RIGHT!
"A" needs to educate all others in house and secure his weapon, always.
As for "C", though he may have crapped his drawers and is rightfully pissed, it's not right to drop all the blame on "A".
In conclusion, set some guidelines for firearms in the house, give "B" some wood putty and break your foot off in his ass.

·
Registered
342 Posts
three posts at 9:21... cool.

G

·
A squared plus B squared equals C squared ?

I think his girlfriend did it and he is covering for her.
Check her for GSR.

Or maybe it was a botched attempt to off your room mate making it look like an accident.

Seriously, I bet you had all kinds of thoughts going through your mind as you went up stairs---accident, murder, suicide, attack .... Should I go upstairs?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Roommate A probably shouldn't have left the gun loaded and unattended out in the open. But roommate B should've at the least asked permission to even touch the gun since he obviously doesn't know anything about the XD and how to tell if it's loaded. If anything, roommate C should be more pissed at roommate B for being an asshat.

·
Registered
278 Posts
TRYZUB said:
Roommate B should thank the lucky stars that he didn't kill or seriously hurt somebody + spend some serious $$$ sucking up to roommate C & B or move, roommate C needs to get a handgun case that locks and roommate A needs to lighten up. :x
I'm so confused... So roommate B has to suck up to roommate C and himself? Roommate C needs a handgun case for a gun that belongs to roommate A and roommate A needs to lighten up? Well, I guess going no. 2 will lighten you up... :D

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
[TASF said:
Overkill]It's B's fault. He's not a child.

B is an idiot.
+1 here.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Tell C to wash the sand out of his vaginal area
and tell B to GTFO,
and tell A to get a quick access safe.

BTw, this is one reason why I dont chamber a round in my apartment

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
When I sit down at my computer, it's usually for a long haul, so I take my Fobus off and set it on my desk. My XD sits neatly on the desk, the night sights winking back at me.

If I get up to go to the bathroom and take an unexpectedly long dump, or even briefly to pee, am I expected to put my XD in a safe? Or when I walk down the short hall to the kitchen?

These are things I won't do with a child or a stranger around. But am I really expected to not do them when it's just me and my roommates?

How could B possibly be so unfamiliar and STUPID when it comes to firearms, but not fear them? At least the average rational adult who just doesn't know anything about guns has a safety-net fear of them.

The other day, we made a quick trip to the store, I was driving, and didn't plan to go in. So I just carried a shirt with me, and wrapped my XD in it, since I wasn't wearing suitable pants to support the holster. When we got back, we were unloading the groceries, so I set the shirt, with XD in it, on the DVD rack in our living room. Unloaded groceries. Roommate was on his way out to go somewhere, I was on my way back to take a crap. We had all the doors and windows open because it was a nice day outside. Standing outside the porch or standing outside our door, your eyes would have been drawn to the yellow shirt in an otherwise colorless room, and the grip of a pistol sticking out of it. My roommate took no small amount of delight in telling me what I had done. This was not an acceptable thing for me to do, leaving it in plain sight, unattended by ANYONE, with all the doors open. Anyone on our level leaving their apartment could have seen it walking by the door. This was a stupid, stupid thing to do. If a kid had walked in and something tragic had happened, or some scumbag had jumped in, grabbed it, and run, I'd be in some ****.

That's a lot different from having it in my room on the second floor on my dresser with only my roommates in the house and the doors presumeably closed and locked.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts