Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone shot the "9mm 115 gr. XTP Hornady New" from Freedom Munitions?
Price seems very reasonable at $19.16 a box of 50 rounds.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Though I have shot my fair share of XTP bullets, I reload and have not purchased any factory ammo for some years. If you prefer the 115grn bullet in 9mm, I suppose these might be worth a try as they are supposedly "new" and not remanufactured ammo.

Reactions: KAW

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
They would be perfectly fine for target/range practice. For carry, I would stick with Federal, Gold Dot, or the other big guys.

I really like FM's ammo. It's just about all we purchase & shoot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Though I have shot my fair share of XTP bullets, I reload and have not purchased any factory ammo for some years. If you prefer the 115grn bullet in 9mm, I suppose these might be worth a try as they are supposedly "new" and not remanufactured ammo.
As I do not reload, (trying warm the wife up to that) I won't shoot anything but New at the moment.
But Thank you very much for your input.

Kurt

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They would be perfectly fine for target/range practice. For carry, I would stick with Federal, Gold Dot, or the other big guys.

I really like FM's ammo. It's just about all we purchase & shoot.
That is pretty much exactly what I had in mind.
A less expensive way to practice with right now.
All though I do use FM 115 grn round nose NEW to plink with, I thought I would purchase some of the XTP to carry and practice with for the time being. When I'm down to my last 20 rounds I will pick up a couple boxes of the others to have on hand.

My biggest concern was with FM. Call me a sceptic but with the prices they offer I just wanted to make sure they were good quality.
I have had no issues with their round nose NEW but always welcome others opinions on any subject.

Thank you for your input.
It is very much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Kurt

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
All though I do use FM 115 grn round nose NEW to plink with, I thought I would purchase some of the XTP to carry and practice with for the time being. When I'm down to my last 20 rounds I will pick up a couple boxes of the others to have on hand.

My biggest concern was with FM. Call me a sceptic but with the prices they offer I just wanted to make sure they were good quality.
I have had no issues with their round nose NEW but always welcome others opinions on any subject.

Sincerely,
Kurt
Nothing wrong with being cautious, especially when it comes to ammo.

I have shot FM ammo (9mm, .40 S&W, and .45) almost exclusively for the past several years. I will buy WWB, Federal, or whatever if I find it at a good price. Don't let their great prices deter you! I have shot their new, reman, and even the 'B' grade stuff (Blaster, the brass isn't as pretty they say...) with no issues. Seems to be cleaner than WWB.

·
Premium Member
7,075 Posts

Sincerely,
Kurt
I've gone through tens of thousands of rounds of levels all FM ammo. Never had a problem until my last case of .45. Damn near 1/100 where bad. Like DJ said, fine for practice but please stick to major brands for self defense.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Although I haven't shot any of their XTP rounds, like others I am several thousand of their rounds down-range and except for one box of reman 5.56 (or was it .223???) .... that I tried in a brand new AR.... I have had zero problems of any sort. I also get the feeling that the problems with the AR were just break in issues since after that one range session, I have had no problems at all, including their BLASTER ammo, reman, and their new production.

Especially with the prices getting back to their current levels, go for it. For edc, defensive rounds, not sure if the XTP rounds would be my first choice, but maybe having some for "last resort" may be a good plan??

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
There are a lot of bullets inferior to XTP's when it comes to "emergency use". I have loaded plenty of them not only for their accuracy, but their effectiveness. I would not feel unarmed if all I had were XTP bullets in any of my guns, and in fact feel there are not that many bullets that are so superior as to make me want to avoid using XTP's for defense loadings. The HAP bullet, on the other hand, which is a very good target bullet and can be had as a hollowpoint, lacks the skives in the nose the XTP has, and though otherwise identical, will not expand like the XTP.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are a lot of bullets inferior to XTP's when it comes to "emergency use". I have loaded plenty of them not only for their accuracy, but their effectiveness. I would not feel unarmed if all I had were XTP bullets in any of my guns, and in fact feel there are not that many bullets that are so superior as to make me want to avoid using XTP's for defense loadings. The HAP bullet, on the other hand, which is a very good target bullet and can be had as a hollowpoint, lacks the skives in the nose the XTP has, and though otherwise identical, will not expand like the XTP.

Thank you very much for your input.
I so appreciate everyones input.

I find guns, ammo, holsters etc. are much like cars.
Everyone has an opinion about which is best but in the end it is what your comfortable with and works best for you.

I personally like to see everyones opinion even when I have already decided.
If nothing else it will help me evaluate and keep me informed fro my decisions or next decision.

Thank you all!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts