Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old 870 12 gauge 30" bbl Remington WingmasterTC pump.

I ordered a Carlson's Remington 870 Barrel, 18 1/2" w/ Breacher Choke and I intend/hope to use Federal LE13200 #00 buck with it for home defense.

I know I should have joined and checked here first but will my combination be OK or should I cancel the order for the new barrel?

·
Premium Member
24,249 Posts
I have an old 870 12 gauge 30" bbl Remington WingmasterTC pump.

I ordered a Carlson's Remington 870 Barrel, 18 1/2" w/ Breacher Choke and I intend/hope to use Federal LE13200 #00 buck with it for home defense.

I know I should have joined and checked here first but will my combination be OK or should I cancel the order for the new barrel?
I watched a few video's on the Carlson Breacher chokes . They showed improvement in patterning . I use carlson's chokes in my shotguns and like them. If it dont work out you can always sell or trade it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you shaner.
I hope the #00 buck does no harm going through this Breacher choke.
I am no shotgun/choke expert but I have read that there are some combinations that will work but they are not recommended in certain combinations, especially non-compressible steel shot through a full choke as an example.
I just don't want to over-stress the barrel or the choke and I don't completely understand what the LE13200 is made of or what the Breacher choke is designed to handle.
Can't sell it if it has a crack down the barrel or the choke looks like a blunderbuss.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Thank you shaner.
I hope the #00 buck does no harm going through this Breacher choke.
I am no shotgun/choke expert but I have read that there are some combinations that will work but they are not recommended in certain combinations, especially non-compressible steel shot through a full choke as an example.
I just don't want to over-stress the barrel or the choke and I don't completely understand what the LE13200 is made of or what the Breacher choke is designed to handle.
Can't sell it if it has a crack down the barrel or the choke looks like a blunderbuss.
All those questions tell me, you need to cancel that order and buy an AR to use for home defense.

Cops quit using shotguns and started using AR's for a reason.

·
Registered
681 Posts
If it’s got a breacher choke I’m guessing that it’s more than likely a cylinder restriction or has very slight restriction so you’ll be fine. With CYL you can shoot slugs also. More or less a Breacher is a heavy duty vented choke with teeth that you jam into a door by the latch and fire to blow the door open. If it’s removable you can install whatever choke you want. Hopefully it will come with some literature to help guide and inform you. If it’s wrong, don’t shoot it and just send it back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All those questions tell me, you need to cancel that order and buy an AR to use for home defense.

Cops quit using shotguns and started using AR's for a reason.
I agree .45fan, I also have an AR15 in 5.56.
My favorite depends on where I am. I have several .45's because they are my 2nd favorites. My personal favorite is my Springfield Tactical XD .357 SIG (no advertisment here, it's my real opinion) because it holds more rounds and has a round in chamber feel indicator as well and a hammer cocked feel indicator. It, and my other Springfield, is how I found this forum.
The AR has a red dot. and the .45's and the SIG have tritium night sights.
The 12 gauge is an addition to my other home protection items.
I may be going a bit overboard but I love guns and anything is a reason to expand the collection.
I'll probably just put the barrel and choke on the 870, take it to the range and pattern it and put it away in the safe. Or maybe not, I just want some good opinions on this combination and whether it will work without damaging the equipment (barrel or choke).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it’s got a breacher choke I’m guessing that it’s more than likely a cylinder restriction or has very slight restriction so you’ll be fine. With CYL you can shoot slugs also. More or less a Breacher is a heavy duty vented choke with teeth that you jam into a door by the latch and fire to blow the door open. If it’s removable you can install whatever choke you want. Hopefully it will come with some literature to help guide and inform you. If it’s wrong, don’t shoot it and just send it back.
Thank you HngnHunter.
Sounds like good advise and information.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Tactical Breecher Choke Tubes - Choke Tubes and Shotgun Magazine Extensions - ChokeTube.com - Carlson's Choke Tubes, LLC

^ Carlson's shows their 85004 Remington 870 Breecher as an Improved Cylinder equivalent.

It's hard to say exactly what will happen with the Federal FliteControl LE (and quivalents, such as the Versatile wad from Hornaday). Lore is that these loads tend to work best simply with Open/Cylinder (that with tighter chokes, supposedly either the pellets start bumping into each other as they are choked through or the wad gets hung up on the choke and causes the shot column to separate sooner) -that and, of-course, the witchcraft of the Vang Comp- but it's definitely something that will be more unique to each barrel.

In so much as any duty/defensive shotgun needs to be patterned (or any serious-use shotgun, for that matter), if you're going to introduce a choke, that makes it doubly so. Every unique barrel is just going to be a little different from any other, so the only real way to know is to pattern your own.

Is there a specific reason for the Breecher Choke, @BigRich?

What kind of distance are you thinking for your double-ought defensive scenarios?

My nothing-special 18-1/2" 870 throws even 9-pellet FliteControl decently well at 25 yards...30 if-pressed. 8-pellet gets me out to the 35, easy, and I think most folks will attest to their Open/Cylinder 18-inch setups to do about the same.

·
Premium Member
24,249 Posts
Call Carlson, they are a very friendly company .and love to help customers.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tactical Breecher Choke Tubes - Choke Tubes and Shotgun Magazine Extensions - ChokeTube.com - Carlson's Choke Tubes, LLC

^ Carlson's shows their 85004 Remington 870 Breecher as an Improved Cylinder equivalent.

It's hard to say exactly what will happen with the Federal FliteControl LE (and quivalents, such as the Versatile wad from Hornaday). Lore is that these loads tend to work best simply with Open/Cylinder (that with tighter chokes, supposedly either the pellets start bumping into each other as they are choked through or the wad gets hung up on the choke and causes the shot column to separate sooner) -that and, of-course, the witchcraft of the Vang Comp- but it's definitely something that will be more unique to each barrel.

In so much as any duty/defensive shotgun needs to be patterned (or any serious-use shotgun, for that matter), if you're going to introduce a choke, that makes it doubly so. Every unique barrel is just going to be a little different from any other, so the only real way to know is to pattern your own.

Is there a specific reason for the Breecher Choke, @BigRich?

What kind of distance are you thinking for your double-ought defensive scenarios?

My nothing-special 18-1/2" 870 throws even 9-pellet FliteControl decently well at 25 yards...30 if-pressed. 8-pellet gets me out to the 35, easy, and I think most folks will attest to their Open/Cylinder 18-inch setups to do about the same.
--------------------------------------------------
This is a little complicated, word-wise. The subject is pretty straight forward though.
I checked your example of the 85004 on the Carlson site and it seems to say two conflicting things. They provide a table where they say the tube is "Imp Cyl", but above it, in the verbal description it says the Breecher choke is an "open choke". See inserted picture. Your description of choking and pellets bumping is right on, I just don't know what Carlson means by open choke and then saying the choke is Imp Cyl. - Continued below the picture.

I must confess that I don't know what is meant by "witchcraft of the Vang Comp". You lost me there.

As far as your next question. I just think the Breacher choke looks mean (cool) and everyone is 100% correct, I don't "need" it. I won't be jamming it into any doors to blow the lock or hinges (I hope :)).

As far as defensive scenarios. Just if someone breaches my door and comes in uninvited and threatening. So, no shots of more than 30-40 feet. More likely, less.

To sum it up, I believe you answered my main question and I will not be doing any damage to my shotgun or barrel by using the LE13200 with the 18.5" barrel with the breacher choke.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Call Carlson, they are a very friendly company .and love to help customers.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
------------------------------------------------------
Hi shaner,
I have already written an email to Carlson and if they don't get back to me, I'll give them a call.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
^ Please do check back here to let us know what they say. :)

--------------------------------------------------
This is a little complicated, word-wise. The subject is pretty straight forward though.
I checked your example of the 85004 on the Carlson site and it seems to say two conflicting things. They provide a table where they say the tube is "Imp Cyl", but above it, in the verbal description it says the Breecher choke is an "open choke". See inserted picture. Your description of choking and pellets bumping is right on, I just don't know what Carlson means by open choke and then saying the choke is Imp Cyl. - Continued below the picture.
View attachment 843398
Oh...good point! I somehow missed that! 😅 😊 I blame it on my ESL (my wife would just blame something like that to my overall stupidity).

I must confess that I don't know what is meant by "witchcraft of the Vang Comp". You lost me there.
Ah, here's something for ya:

I think my ESL struck yet again, there, and caused you some confusion. For that I again apologize - I'm not sure what I was doing at the time I made my post to you above, but I must have been quite distracted! What I meant was that the Vang Comp system/barrel usually has folks comparing "standard"-wad performance versus the not infrequently harder to source FliteControl loads, thus offering a viable alternative.

As far as your next question. I just think the Breacher choke looks mean (cool) and everyone is 100% correct, I don't "need" it. I won't be jamming it into any doors to blow the lock or hinges (I hope :)).
Wicked cool is right. :)

Just wondering if you had any other needs for it, aside from the aesthetic. (y)

As far as defensive scenarios. Just if someone breaches my door and comes in uninvited and threatening. So, no shots of more than 30-40 feet. More likely, less.
At 10 yards, that FliteControl is likely going to pattern very, very well with an Open/Cyl.

My nothing-special 870 holds even 9-pellet FliteControl easily inside of 5 inches at the 10, and that 9th-flier is C-Zones all day, even at the 15. With 8-pellet at 7-10 yards, it's literally fist-sized.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ Please do check back here to let us know what they say. :)
---------------------------
I will. I didn't specifically ask them about the conflicting "open choke" and "imp cyl" referrences but I might do that after I get an answer to my original question. Like @shaner suggests, I may end up calling them since they have not yet answered my email. we'll see..

Ah, here's something for ya:

I think my ESL struck yet again, there, and caused you some confusion. For that I again apologize - I'm not sure what I was doing at the time I made my post to you above, but I must have been quite distracted! What I meant was that the Vang Comp system/barrel usually has folks comparing "standard"-wad performance versus the not infrequently harder to source FliteControl loads, thus offering a viable alternative.
----------------------------------
I checked out the Vang Comp site and now I see what you are referring to. They seem to be the top dogs in custom. I will bookmark them for future reference.

At 10 yards, that FliteControl is likely going to pattern very, very well with an Open/Cyl.
----------------------------------------
(y)

My nothing-special 870 holds even 9-pellet FliteControl easily inside of 5 inches at the 10, and that 9th-flier is C-Zones all day, even at the 15. With 8-pellet at 7-10 yards, it's literally fist-sized.
-------------------------------------------
Thank you. (y)(y)

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I have a Breecher on my Nitro 887, it came with the shotgun new, but uninstalled. I installed it, I shot seventy-five 7 1/2 birdshot, fifty 00 Buckshot, and thirty slugs thru it with no observed problems.

I don't know the make of the Breecher

Reactions: BigRich

·
Registered
681 Posts
Improved Cylinder is only about .005 constriction so not much. Just enough to slightly slow the wad and settle things down. Those ports will actually do more stripping of the wad than the constriction. At least it’s removable so you can try different chokes if you want to. If a person Really thinks about it, most home invasion encounters are probably going to be under 25 feet.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
If a person Really thinks about it, most home invasion encounters are probably going to be under 25 feet.
Unless you live in......

Better get a sniper rifle, too. 😬

·
Registered
681 Posts
Unless you live in......

Better get a sniper rifle, too. 😬
🤣 (y) And if we had his funds we could just hire it done.
We all could have a real good time with what an annual would cost on his 707.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The stand off barrel on my Mossberg has a bigger diameter than the barrel and shrouded the outline of the stock fiber optic sight. I installed a big dot tritium white sight and it works great. Don't know that your choke will be as big.

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The stand off barrel on my Mossberg has a bigger diameter than the barrel and shrouded the outline of the stock fiber optic sight. I installed a big dot tritium white sight and it works great. Don't know that your choke will be as big.
-------------------------------
Right now all I know is that the picture I posted is what it should be but that doesn't show what it will look like on the gun. It sure looks like yours is flared out considerably and the one I'm expecting appears it will follow the lines of the barrel, not flaring at all.

Bad news for me (so far), it appears the barrel and choke have not yet shipped. I know they are very busy, hope it ships today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To all who replied and may be curious what Carlson's replied, here is their response in today's email:

"Thanks for your email! This barrel will work fine on your Rem 870TC. I am a gunsmith here so if you have questions holler.

Thanks for your interest in our products.

Scott
CARLSON’S CHOKE TUBES, LLC"

So, with Carlson's 'blessing' and the technical knowledge you have all supplied, I think I'm good to go!

THANK YOU ALL!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts