Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you bold enough (or crazy enough) to simply let it all hang out?

Yes, I know there are strong opinions on both sides of the issue. Open is the only way I've carried as stuffing a gun in my pants just never sounded appealing to me. I also don't own a gun that's small enough to realistically hide, with a Glock 34 being my least bad choice for carry.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
You've opened quite a can here....Sounds like you are against concealed carry for some weird reason...

I don't know that I would call open carrying an act of boldness or "craziness".... I'm not against open carrying, but I'm not for it either. I consider it a tactical disadvantage. Not to mention that open carry isn't legal here,yet.

While I don't "stuff a gun in my pants," I do carry iwb concealed in a quality holster. A Glock 19 is easily concealable.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
On occasion I have open carried. Most of the time that I do no one seems to notice.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
You've opened quite a can here....Sounds like you are against concealed carry for some weird reason...

I don't know that I would call open carrying an act of boldness or "craziness".... I'm not against open carrying, but I'm not for it either. I consider it a tactical disadvantage. Not to mention that open carry isn't legal here,yet.

While I don't "stuff a gun in my pants," I do carry iwb concealed in a quality holster. A Glock 19 is easily concealable.
Brian wins.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I carry appendix IWB. So only back of slide and grip show.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
....Sounds like you are against concealed carry for some weird reason…
Nothing could be further from the truth. I fully support carry, be it concealed or open. It's a personal choice and I fully understand the many reason why most people would not wish to openly carry.

It's a political statement. And it's fully legal in Wisconsin, having been legal long before concealed carry was approved.

Clearly I meant using an IWB holster. I didn't literally mean stuffing a gun in your waistband like gang members do. A Glock 19 would be quite nice for open carry too I'd note -- a 34 muzzle rams into the seat cushion when you sit, and the butt of the grip rams into to back of the seat. The more modest dimension of the G19 would come in handy for any type of carry -- concealed or open. And the G19 is still big enough that I can still get all three fingers on the front of the grip & have a serious capacity at 15+1.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I'm glad open carry is legal where you live but also wish gun owners would use some sound judgement and carry concealed. All we do is hurt our cause by wandering around a Starbucks with our AR's over our shoulders.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I do not typically open carry, but I have plenty. I have open carried a 1911 a lot and I open carry my XDs fairly often. The way I dress, especially this time of year, very few people seem to even notice.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
During the winter when you are wearing a jacket or heavy clothing, a lot of the time a OWB holster, becomes pretty easy to conceal.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I am not a thug, but I will confess to wearing a hoodie almost all winter. I work outdoors so I dress in layers. Most often a hoodie is the last thing that goes on. When I open carry I do not in any way try to conceal it with the hoodie but just having it on seems to camouflage it quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I am not a thug, but I will confess to wearing a hoodie almost all winter. I work outdoors so I dress in layers. Most often a hoodie is the last thing that goes on. When I open carry I do not in any way try to conceal it with the hoodie but just having it on seems to camouflage it quite a bit.
Same here. When it's cool enough to wear a jacket or something to conceal an OWB holster, my favorite concealment wear is an Under Armour hoodie. They don't put elastic in the bottom of their hoodies, so they are fairly loose and are damn near snag-free for drawing. When it's hot, I carry IWB, but it's just not as comfy as OWB.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Same here. When it's cool enough to wear a jacket or something to conceal an OWB holster, my favorite concealment wear is an Under Armour hoodie. They don't put elastic in the bottom of their hoodies, so they are fairly loose and are damn near snag-free for drawing. When it's hot, I carry IWB, but it's just not as comfy as OWB.

That is the bad part about living in the Sonoran Desert. It's rarely cold enough to wear stuff that conceal OWB well. If it was I would carry that way a lot more.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Kansas is the land of extremes. We range from negative to single digits in the winter, to 105 in the summer, so I prepare for both. Winter is OWB, like I said with my XDM compact. Summer gets the Sig 938 in an IWB holster and covered with just a dark t-shirt.

That being said, I wouldn't complain if it was 60 degrees and sunny year round.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I always have a sidearm when I hunt here, openly.

Fishing, occasionally.

I wish open carry was legal here all the time, and I would open carry more than I probably would anticipate. Go for it. But always be aware of what's going on.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I always have a sidearm when I hunt here, openly.

Fishing, occasionally.

I wish open carry was legal here all the time, and I would open carry more than I probably would anticipate. Go for it. But always be aware of what's going on.
I open carry when I am hunting as well.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts